61 year old guy...from Portugal - day #1

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well guys...I started. did for half an hour...and man, do I need a beer!!!! I'm drenched in sweat, feel like I took a beating from a herd of elephants, I'm mince meat from the waist down...but had ton

I am 61. Learned EUC 3 years ago. My wife 68, learned at 65. Is this any boost of confidence for you? Hope so...Hope we'll keep riding til drop dead!

Days #17, #18, #19 and #20...of my rookie practice. Well, I'm still ticking    Day #17 STREET RIDE - Another three 4,2 km laps around the Quinta da Beloura Condominium and I passed in to

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

and on day #21... I and paid the price of not resting....

I rode in the afternoon the usual 3 laps adding another 12,2kms to my outdoor distance. However, my calves started to have excruciating  pains on the last lap. Why? Simple. This idiot, with all the excitement on riding...exaggerated. 

I had walked the day before about 5kms and then went EUC riding for another 2 laps. And then, yesterday morning I did a treadmill "effort" (as we call it in Portugal) ECG at the hospital. 

Not happy with all the walking, riding and walking in the past 24 hours...I went for another 12,2kms. 

...and the pain on that 3rd lap....god...I was desperate. It was like the calves were on fire!!!! I thought I'd have to walk a few kms back home with all that pain. I was only able to get to the finish line, changing my standing position, either standing up completely straight or kneeling as low as I could (some wobble, of course).

SO TODAY... this idiot stayed home and has been stretching and rubbing muscle anti inflammatory gel on his calves. Serves me right!!!!...idiot!

day 21.jpeg

No pain, no gain my friend. Just think about how fit you are getting!

Some might argue that anti inflammatory meds slow recovery of muscle soreness. ... Sometimes is best to eat super healthy and hydrate. If you're in spasm, load up on potassium and magnesium rich foods, perhaps drink some beet juice.

2 hours ago, UniMe said:

Some might argue that anti inflammatory meds slow recovery of muscle soreness. ... Sometimes is best to eat super healthy and hydrate. If you're in spasm, load up on potassium and magnesium rich foods.

Oh, I eat supper healthy and I hydrate a lot and take magnesium. This is just a gel for a pain relief massage. I don't take anti inflammatory meds. 

No beet juice... I consider it the worst food taste of my life.. It makes me puke!!! I know it's super healthy... but just can't stand the stuff. 

lol, I drink Biotta Breuss, half a bottle has 1/2 my daily potassium needs. A great recovery drink and slightly (oh so very) more palatable than straight beet juice which I also find too sweet and distasteful.

method of delivery doesn't really matter with the nsaids -- topical or oral, it all circulates. The research on longevity and nsaids is actually a bit mixed, probably in part because so many age related health problems have a root in inflammation. for a person prone to inflammation (genetic, lifestyle) nsaids are probably a good thing... in terms of muscle recovery, we're talking 10% either way, so no big deal if you're not on a training program with UEFA dominance aspirations :clap3:

Edited by UniMe