King Song over-compensate tilt angle on slopes?

John Eucist

I have noticed that when I ride my KS14-800W on slopes that it tends to over-compensate the angle of tilt beyond the correct level position.  For example, going downhill I feel like it's tilting back too much which makes it even harder for me to slow down.  Same goes for going up the hill (but seems like to a lesser degree) where I am tilting forward too much so that I cannot apply pressure to speed up.  Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT:  My setting is on "Play Mode" (I think) or whatever mode is the hardest setting.  The unit was bought from the factory about a month ago.

Which version of the wheel are you riding? I have ridden "pre-mark 2" as well as mark 3 and kingsong has changed the tiltback behavior between the two. I have experienced strange feeling tiltbacks on mark 3 as well as some sudden instability going up a steep hill on low battery. Cant say that its exactly like you described but overall a somewhat peculiar tiltback behavior, hard to put my finger on it yet.

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

Which version of the wheel are you riding? I have ridden "pre-mark 2" as well as mark 3 and kingsong has changed the tiltback behavior between the two. I have experienced strange feeling tiltbacks on mark 3 as well as some sudden instability going up a steep hill on low battery. Cant say that its exactly like you described but overall a somewhat peculiar tiltback behavior, hard to put my finger on it yet.

The one I was riding was bought at the factory about one month ago.  Not sure what "mark" it is.

One thing I forgot to mention was that they are set on (I think) "Play Mode" or whatever mode is the "hardest" setting.  Will edit that into the original post.

Ok, yes, not an official designation but you have what Jason mscneil would call Mark 2 :) 

i am not sure if the tiltback behavior was changed then or a bit later, but i guess it was changed already.  It doesnt make sense to me either, the tilt back behavior for earlier wheels was more simpke and more understandable :) 

Just checked my KS app ad it gives me the choice of Aggressive, Comfort and Soft modes. They may have changed it in the later models, mines an early one.

If you have it set to the Aggressive Mode then it's strange that you are getting excessive tilt, the wheel has no way of knowing if it is going up or down hill, the gyro only tells it how upright it is so the tilt should actually be the same as on the flat if you lean to the same extent.

The only thing that will be increasing the tilt angle is the extra input force that you  apply to countetact the slope but when set to Aggressive Mode the software should compensate and put the wheel back upright without excessive lean.

2 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Just checked my KS app ad it gives me the choice of Aggressive, Comfort and Soft modes. They may have changed it in the later models, mines an early one.

If you have it set to the Aggressive Mode then it's strange that you are getting excessive tilt, the wheel has no way of knowing if it is going up or down hill, the gyro only tells it how upright it is so the tilt should actually be the same as on the flat if you lean to the same extent.

The only thing that will be increasing the tilt angle is the extra input force that you  apply to countetact the slope but when set to Aggressive Mode the software should compensate and put the wheel back upright without excessive lean.

Gimlet, you have an earlier version of the wheel. They changed how tiltback works in @John Eucist version

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Gimlet, you have an earlier version of the wheel. They changed how tiltback works in @John Eucist version

I know they changed the tilt and made it speed adjustable but I doubt they changed the ride qualities of each mode very much and there's no way for the wheel to know if it's on a slope so the only difference the slope will make is if you are asking for too much power on a low battery, then the tilt back behaviour is designed to make it unridable for the sake of safety.

On 2015-12-18 at 10:35 AM, Gimlet said:

I know they changed the tilt and made it speed adjustable but I doubt they changed the ride qualities of each mode very much and there's no way for the wheel to know if it's on a slope so the only difference the slope will make is if you are asking for too much power on a low battery, then the tilt back behaviour is designed to make it unridable for the sake of safety.

Should be simple enough to adapt a control and regulation function with input from speed and power drawn from the batteries, though of course it might not be that advanced

Archived