INMOTION V12 (pre-release)

Inmotion Global

For me I simply cannot get over how ugly this thing looks. I know it's extremely superficial, but if I'm riding it every day, I want to enjoy and be proud using it. I'm not against boxy designs, it's just that Inmotion didn't do justice to appearance. Heck the Sherman, which is a box, still looks reasonable and has a  Jeep"esque look to it.  

55 minutes ago, floki said:

For me I simply cannot get over how ugly this thing looks. I know it's extremely superficial, but if I'm riding it every day, I want to enjoy and be proud using it. I'm not against boxy designs, it's just that Inmotion didn't do justice to appearance. Heck the Sherman, which is a box, still looks reasonable and has a  Jeep"esque look to it.  

Sometimes you need to see things in real life and not in pictures. 

Others "models" (as in people) looks stunning in pictures but real life they might be so shinny.

I recall same comments at the KS16X and Nikola but they seemed to grow on the community.

• Like 3

There are so many factors to make a wheel attractive or convincing that esthetic might not be one at the end.

I wont exchange IP protection or the screen making APP obsolete to an other "look"

Edited by Camenbert
  • Like 3

I am not sure how I feel about this. Adam was not able to climb his testing inclines on the V12, like he did so easily on the 16X. He mentions the V12 appears to be software limited. I my mind, a 100V 2500watt wheel should easily beat a 84V 2200 watt wheel when it comes to grunt work. But they seem to be choosing safety factor, which is nothing wrong there. The V12 will probably climb the hills that most of us want to climb. It will be interesting to see reviews of production wheels when they hit the streets and hills. The v12 seems to be more of a speedster like the Nik. I will not let this deter my interest because I do like lots of safety buffer, whether it is for speed headroom or over-power protection.

These videos start just before the climbing tests.

The 16X making light work of the inclines:

The V12 might climb if they let it:

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Scottie said:

a 100V 2500watt wheel should easily beat a 84V 2200 watt wheel when it comes to grunt work.

Ecodrift teardown noted the v12 motor has the same motor serial code as a 16x motor, so its not really 2500W. I guess it's wounded differently for speed over torque like wrongways said. 

I was a bit disappointed it couldn't do 35 degrees incline. I watched wrongway's old hill climbing vids and the Nikola did it fine without giving up. But like you said, I don't think I would be finding any 35 degrees inclines to climb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Neither of these numbers really have anything to do with climbing or power directly.

Hah! Had I seen @UniVehje’s fact-laden post, I’d have had no reason to type the previous post of my own. :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UniVehje said:

16X motor is wound for torque which makes it a great climber

It might have same wound than V12, but one wheel is 84V, the other 100V.

The difference in climbing ability might well be found in the passive cooling, therefor the firmware protection - overall safety, as Tasku mention

Edited by Camenbert

6 hours ago, Camenbert said:

It might have same wound than V12, but one wheel is 84V, the other 100V.

The difference in climbing ability might well be found in the passive cooling, therefor the firmware protection - overall safety, as Tasku mention

It could be as you said. We really can only speculate. The reason I think it's not just safety thing is the behaviour. InMotions usually beep and tiltback. On the video it just seemed to let in. Or maybe it's a feature that tilts forward slightly to warn the user? And it could be just a tuning issue also as it is just a prototype wheel still. Cooling shouldn't be the issue for so short peak demand and it probably has enough big MOSFETs. But it would definitely make sense for Inmotion to get the speed optimised version of that motor if they aim for safe 70 km/h speeds. Most of the time same motors can be ordered in different versions. 

Edited by UniVehje

Since this is the 16X motor but wound for speed, think there's a noticeable difference in acceleration vs the 16X? That's one of my favorite things about my wheel...then again, it's bittersweet to hit 40km/h so fast (where I have the beeps set at for my size). 

3 hours ago, GPW said:

Had the same question. Not a scientific answer by any means, but chased down 0-40km/h times from wrongways reviews for V12, 16X, and Nikola. V12 3.7s, 16X 3.3s, Nikola+ 100V 3.6s, Nikola 84V 4.2s

Thanks, good stuff!

2 hours ago, UniVehje said:

That’s why these acceleration tests are a bit fishy

Indeed, a proper acceleration test would require a lot of tries with a significant number of those tries ending in an overlean (free crash tests!). This would eventually provide the ultimate acceleration time (for given rider weight). Nevertheless it still makes sense to measure some "safe acceleration" as Adam does. The "safe" can even be made somewhat rigorous if the wheel has a power/amperage alarms. By consistently riding at those power/amperage limits one should get a consistent safe acceleration time. I think metrics like "safe acceleration", "safe topspeed" are really useful for most riders. Of course, knowing the true performance limit is more exciting and important for enthusiasts and racers.   

Incline climb tests, on the other hand, should be quite accurate since overleaning is mostly safe in this scenario.

Anyway, all of the data GPW posted is from the same tester - Adam - and therefore should give a reasonable comparison between the wheels.

Edited by yoos
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, GPW said:

V12 3.7s, 16X 3.3s, Nikola+ 100V 3.6s, Nikola 84V 4.2s

The V12 free spin is 100 kph, it could have been 78 kph with the 16X wound, not fast enough?
In the other hand, this theoretically gave us a fast accelerating wheel, ~3.0s for this V12 "16X 100V"??

May InMotion give the High Torque/High Speed choice as Gotway?
As seen with them, HT run cooler and have a better range. Bonus.

11 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

I'm not saying there are no differences or every wheel can accelerate just the same.

Adam do a hierarchy and this seems good enough : somehow in logic with each wheel characteristics.
You say the wheel just tries to move back under the centre of gravity when you move that centre forward or backwards by leaning but what's the "power" pads for then?

• Like 1