INMOTION V12 (pre-release)

Inmotion Global

9 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

I dont see why a heavy wheel would be uselss though, the monster pro is 100 pounds (more probably with all the added accessories) and i actually enjoyed my short ride on it. Its certainly a beast but not unreasonably heavy, and with a wheel that large and heavy it cuts through wind and bumps amazingly. 

The Monster Pro has a top speed of 45mph with a 70kg rider, if you're a big guy then it's probably 40mph. That's no where near the 75mph this guy was asking for. The weight of wheels goes up in a fairly linear way with speed: a v5f weighs 12kg and does 16mph, a V10f is 21Kg and 25mph, the V11 is 27kg and 35mph, the Monster Pro is 40kg and 42mph. It follows that a wheel capable of 75mph is going to weigh at least 75kg. Try taking that wheel round the local supermarket or out the back of your car or up a few stairs or even doing a U-turn in the street. 

1 hour ago, Tasku said:

My point to has been: I would be willing to pay premium for product that is designed to last.

Yet you bought the MSP?? or is your one immune to bearing failure or battery fires? If you were truly after a product that was designed to last then surely the KS18XL or perhaps the V10F or even the MSX 84v (if you don't mind repairing the case) would of been a much better choice.

2 hours ago, Tasku said:

To make a case for good quality product I have talked about much longer warranty. Warranty in general always lead back to factory. I have handled these matters in daily basis so they are familiar to me. I found it funny that people think your local shop warranty is somehow better.

The local shop is at least reachable plus they can diagnose what's wrong and install whatever it is that's failed. China is a long way away [citation needed], they don't speak English and lastly, they just don't care. But the chances of either the local shop or the manufacturer being around in 10 years isn't great (Rockwell, Ninebot and Gotway have all stopped making EUCs). Even if the company is still there, they can always point to any damage on the wheel and say that that's caused the issue rather than the manufacturing process. Paying a huge amount for a long warranty is pretty silly in my eyes.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Yet you bought the MSP?? or is your one immune to bearing failure or battery fires? If you were truly after a product that was designed to last then surely the KS18XL or perhaps the V10F or even the MSX 84v (if you don't mind repairing the case) would of been a much better choice.

So MSP is my first wheel. It is easy to maintain. I can do my own water sealing if I open it. I used it for 2 months before the winter. I got ~4000 kilometres with it. For brief time I was european top 3 in EUC world app the category was "steel legs". :laughbounce2: Soon the winter is over and I get to continue my testing. With that said, I already got fair bit out of it. People have done over 10000 kilometres with the wheel without bearing problems or battery fires. RS replaced the MSP, and it has hollow motor with bearing problems. 

I did test drive KS18XL. Good wheel.

There be so much I could tell about my wheel but I am here like I said interested of new wheel.

32 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

The local shop is at least reachable plus they can diagnose what's wrong and install whatever it is that's failed.

Agreed. Supporting local business is a good idea. I got long history of fault finding and maintenance. But behind the scene this company is in talks with the manufactor one way or another in cases of warranty.

Edited by Tasku
I also made my own stand and got rollNZ cover shell.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

The Monster Pro has a top speed of 45mph with a 70kg rider, if you're a big guy then it's probably 40mph. That's no where near the 75mph this guy was asking for. The weight of wheels goes up in a fairly linear way with speed: a v5f weighs 12kg and does 16mph, a V10f is 21Kg and 25mph, the V11 is 27kg and 35mph, the Monster Pro is 40kg and 42mph. It follows that a wheel capable of 75mph is going to weigh at least 75kg. Try taking that wheel round the local supermarket or out the back of your car or up a few stairs or even doing a U-turn in the street. 

The local shop is at least reachable plus they can diagnose what's wrong and install whatever it is that's failed. China is a long way away [citation needed], they don't speak English and lastly, they just don't care. But the chances of either the local shop or the manufacturer being around in 10 years isn't great (Rockwell, Ninebot and Gotway have all stopped making EUCs). Even if the company is still there, they can always point to any damage on the wheel and say that that's caused the issue rather than the manufacturing process. Paying a huge amount for a long warranty is pretty silly in my eyes.

Isnt the new speed record 55 mph set on a monster pro? 

And we can EASILY get the weight down just by using higher quality parts. As far as i know , no wheels use carbon fiber or graphene parts. Everything used in EUCs is kinda cheap. 

Just because someone purchases and MSP does not mean they dont want a higher quality longer lasting device. If you want performance you dont really have many options on the market right now . 

Edited by GoGeorgeGo

2 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

I have no idea but I believe the top speed advertised by the manufacturers is around 42mph. The free spin speed, where you just lift the wheel up and see how fast the wheel goes round, is 65mph. Top speeds on EUCs aren't always tested scientifically - what weight was the rider (the standard test rider is 70kg)? was the rider seated? was the test on level ground? was there a following wind? was there independent verification? Was the youtuber just trying to get views? The Sherman would of been a better example to mention, that's 35kg and it apparently does 50mph. 

image.png.22326cb8337e47bfd21192829d9250a5.png

I did a simple chart with speed mph on y axis and weight (kg) on x axis. The dot in the top right is the 75mph wheel and the weight I've guessed here is 60kg. I suspect it will be heavier than that because you need a lot more power as you go faster (the power needed is apparently the cube of the speed).

3 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Tbh an MSX case (for example), side panels and motherboard really doesnt weigh that much. Its the tyre, wheel and batts that are the problem. And I cant see China making such a niche wheel in carbon fibre. Tyres are also what they are. And theres not much we can do about the batts at the moment, and I cant see how the motor itself can be made much lighter given it needs the windings, stators and magnets.

So in short, a carbon case and side panels may save a kilo or so...but for what cost? And would you really notice? You're pretty much into the 'weight weenies' of the pro bicycle world at that point.

I totally agree. Theres always someone who will want the lightest, bestest, fastest wheel. At any cost. But a niche within a niche...I'm just not sure theres enough people in the world to support the Chinese developing it at what would be a big cost. As per the aforementioned cycle world (and which is a far, far bigger market) they still dont sell a huge amount of 10k+ bikes over and above say 6k bikes.

I'm not saying it wont happen, I just think we are still a good few years away from it. I would love to be proved wrong, as although I could never justify a 3k+ wheel, it would be awesome to see they are available.

Totally agree i don't expect these things to happen over night. As i said previously, my only expectation for the v12 was a huge sherman esque battery.

I dint see weight as being a huge issue as others do though, to me a one wheeled motorcycle is eventually what the market needs. I think it would dramatically expand the amount of riders though, the dinky little toys we play with now will eventually be the niche.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I have no idea but I believe the top speed advertised by the manufacturers is around 42mph. The free spin speed, where you just lift the wheel up and see how fast the wheel goes round, is 65mph. Top speeds on EUCs aren't always tested scientifically - what weight was the rider (the standard test rider is 70kg)? was the rider seated? was the test on level ground? was there a following wind? was there independent verification? Was the youtuber just trying to get views? The Sherman would of been a better example to mention, that's 35kg and it apparently does 50mph. 

image.png.22326cb8337e47bfd21192829d9250a5.png

I did a simple chart with speed mph on y axis and weight (kg) on x axis. The dot in the top right is the 75mph wheel and the weight I've guessed here is 60kg. I suspect it will be heavier than that because you need a lot more power as you go faster (the power needed is apparently the cube of the speed).

I was told the no load spin speed was 72 mph on the monster pro, perhaps i was misinformed as i have not conducted the test myself. I just rode it for 10 minutes.

Although i will say after riding a 100lb wheel, i can confidently say they can get heavier and still be easily rideable. I was suprised how nimble the monster pro really is considering its size. I do feel your hung up on the current weight of these machines but i see that as an easily changed variable to this equation. Especially if battery technology advances to more energy dense, lighter weight higher performance products. But even ignorong batteries we can make pedal hangers and pedals lighter, cases lighter, we can remove frivolous additives like speakers , even using aircraft grade screws would remove some weight. 

I felt to weak to truely master the monster pro in 10 minutes, but given more time i feel i would be able to throw that wheel around like any other no problem. Its really not even that big for some of the 250+ lb riders, its similar to me on a sherman really, which honestly the sherman is WAY lighter than people make it sound imo. Its easily maneuverable for someone my height and weight (6ft 200lb). I had no problems throwing the sherman around, sure its not as nimble as my v11, but its still 5x the agility of any other vehicle. 

Personally i see a future where you park an EUC similar to the way you would a motorcycle, not bringing it inside your house or into a store. Instead securing the device with a lock and gps device incase of attempted theft. 

Edited by GoGeorgeGo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Personally i see a future where you park an EUC similar to the way you would a motorcycle

I know that the ride is different but at that point you are getting really close to just being better off buying an electric motor cycle

• Like 3

So still none that got more specific news about the V12? 

I do get some information from Inmotion at times. But the V12 is very little news I get yet from Inmotion. I know plans are to get feedback from select testers but that they are under NDA. I don't know yet who or when. But I got news about this that one or two might already be part of this with more to come. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Better off just getting a car then and have climate control and a seatbelt 😋

A motorcycle is much more like this proposed uncycled then a motorcycle is like a car. It has the nimbleness acceleration and the ability to be parked or stored where a car can't be. Trying to make an electric unicycle like motorcycle in performance and range past a certain point is like trying to put climate control and a seatbelt on a motorcycle to make it more like a car.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I see one crucial issue why a 10 year warranty would be impossible to sell to manufacturers and distributors alike.

The EUC life cycle, even currently, is only rarely ended by the wheel stopping to function. None of mine has. EUCs in general become obsolete in 1-3 years due to the incomprehensible acceleration of the markets, and EUC features and specs.

My first EUC was a good buy in early 2017. By mid 2017 it was outdated. By early 2018 it had become ancient. By late 2018 it had become a joke.

The 84V MSX was a killer when it came in 2018. It had become next to worthless by the time the MSP came out (only about a year later?). The speed and power of the MSX are not the issue, lots of slower and weaker wheels are still being sold. The model is simply too old.

The shell of the MSX is made of biscuits, otherwise the wheel works fine after 14000km.

Introducing a 10 year warranty simply doesn’t make any sense in a market that flies forward this fast. Even having to produce spare parts past ~2 years is financially not possible for small EUC manufacturers.

Just gonna warn I will go on a sidetrack here, so here we go again..

Very insightful post. There be many things that can make product obsolete. 10 or 20 years back is a long time. I could name many products that I would not use being that old :D Yet they work. Keeping that in mind, modular design can be excellent frame to build long lasting product line.

Product such as this would have to be designed with upgrades in mind. Modular systems can be amazing. If the core of the wheel is strong, this is possible. Most of the electric motors I seen can take 20 years of use easy, in this case it would be potentially more exposed to wear. But there are ways to treat/cover and maintain the electric motor. Other things that can get obsolete like memory can be changed with modular block. Operating voltage can be changed and even new battery system introduced to replace the existing. In my country we can step into public library and print out the new parts for few euros. it takes about 2 hours for new circuit board to print in the university. Future sure has potential. When I was in school we only dreamt of these things.

If wiring for charging is made future in mind, allowing faster charging for new battery tech and such.. they are all a design points for lasting framework. Also wiring is easy to change if that is the bottleneck.

As a customer buying something that I can get parts for is a good selling point. If I can get it upgraded at local shop, even better! I could get the latest and greatest what is available with upgrade kits. The new capacitors ,new battery tech and what not.. It is matter of space mostly and how we use it. The space we did not need, yet left for upgrades, could be padded. A world of customization could be out there. I customized my first wheel within first few weeks.. What about you out there? Who here is purist and who a modder?

Someone in this forum said he appreciates the local shops. Well this would give lot to the local economy as it would to the factory. Win-win I say.

There could be downsides too, I mean your frame could get scraches and dents that you do not like. The device could be banned (or then again a update could make it usable again)..  and more.

Maybe I am just old. As resources being less and less available, I am thinking, maybe finally we would make lasting products instead of just making something that we throw away all the time. I bet recycling the old batteries and circuit boards would be more a thing if we build something to take care of.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I see one crucial issue why a 10 year warranty would be impossible to sell to manufacturers and distributors alike.

The EUC life cycle, even currently, is only rarely ended by the wheel stopping to function. None of mine has. EUCs in general become obsolete in 1-3 years due to the incomprehensible acceleration of the markets, and EUC features and specs.

My first EUC was a good buy in early 2017. By mid 2017 it was outdated. By early 2018 it had become ancient. By late 2018 it had become a joke.

The 84V MSX was a killer when it came in 2018. It had become next to worthless by the time the MSP came out (only about a year later?). The speed and power of the MSX are not the issue, lots of slower and weaker wheels are still being sold. The model is simply too old.

The shell of the MSX is made of biscuits, otherwise the wheel works fine after 14000km.

Introducing a 10 year warranty simply doesn’t make any sense in a market that flies forward this fast. Even having to produce spare parts past ~2 years is financially not possible for small EUC manufacturers.

However, I would support the company that would make efforts to platform a wheel design. They can upgrade controllers and match with wheels as upgrade paths for batteries and cases already owned. 

DJI as an example works hard to never have batteries that can be used with new models. I hate that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

Do you wanna know the average ownership cycle of a brand new auto before trade-in? 3yrs in NA!!! The basic free 5yr powertrain warranty isn't even over before owners want something new & perhaps better (atleast in features).

Used auto business is big. Not everyone will be riding the "new". There will be new guys, who take advices such as: "Buy used wheel when you start" - the mantra of this forum. There are market for learning wheels , and like you said if you still have warranty then that help buy the used wheel.

11 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

Lets also discuss the other elephant in the room. EUCs aren't built as interstellar spaceships. Its merely a tire/wheel with an electric motor powered by batteries controlled by simple electronics housed in a barebones frame

They are so simple that they could be of good quality too. The only reason why products such as these are so expensive is that they do not hit the mainstream. If EUC would be mainstream they would be cheaper. I am mostly worried that they are not of quality and they will be banned before they can become, what they could be.

15 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

Am I far fetched in my thinking?

Thinking is good. There is box that is easy to see, but world outside the box.

• Like 2

@Taskuits always possible that your thinking is the way to go. As for me personally, I'd be out of this hobby if a wheels goes to $10k however much unobtanium is used. I'd much rather own 5 rideables thru the 10yrs than otherwise. Even taking resale into account, a 2yr old product is a much easier sell than 10yrs.

You're talking about your wants & needs but ultimately it may not be shared by the average consumer. Lets face it, ppl want newer & better features. Its almost a genetic flaw (if we can say that). If using autos as an analogy doesn't do it, look at the ubiquitous cellphone instead. I believe its well built enough to last many many more times than ave ownership cycle.

Its just the way we are in this age of disposables. In this aspect, I wanna live within the "box". Its more bang for my dollar & more importantly, more pleasure & enjoyment as well.  As always YMMV

• Like 3

On 2/26/2021 at 8:37 AM, GoGeorgeGo said:

And we can EASILY get the weight down just by using higher quality parts. As far as i know , no wheels use carbon fiber or graphene parts. Everything used in EUCs is kinda cheap. 

Just because someone purchases and MSP does not mean they dont want a higher quality longer lasting device. If you want performance you dont really have many options on the market right now . 

While I would like to see some higher quality parts on them such as carbon fiber and such, I fear that this would give the manufacturers to rase the price on the already expensive wheels, I saw your video the other day when you were talking about how you would like to see some 5000 dollar wheels, I would too, but I fear that that might become the price of the entire industry, probably not, but I think that things like the v11 where while it is kinda expensive, it is still accessible to a lot of people

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

While I would like to see some higher quality parts on them such as carbon fiber and such, 

Nice sentiment but not practical at least with carbon fibre. While strong, CF is also brittle with a tendency to shatter upon impact. The resultant shards can be as sharp & dangerous as metal/glass in the same shape. Its also much more difficult to repair. Plus the savings in weight would not be cost effective.

Plastic is still the way although they can be of higher quality & with better fittings.  VS has shown the way to a different approach in using a tubular frame/cage although that does add more weight.

Perhaps an aluminium alloy frame/panels might be a viable approach but again, that adds to a substantial cost. Extruded plastics is still the choice of the day for this application.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, /Dev/Null said:

You can get cheap, highly capable highway ready motorcycles for $4k new.  Why would I want a one wheel, heavy, non-portable "motorcycle" for probably the same price or more?  The main benefit is > walking/running/jogging speeds & portability when  not riding. 

What unicycle is ever going to compete (even safetywise) with a ninja250 & cost less?

You can get a cheap highway ready car for 500$ . Why would i want a two wheeled non portable motorcycle for 8x the price? A motorcycle will never compete in terms of safety or comfort with a car. You buy it for the ride

Being one wheeled gives you acces to riding areas you cant bring a motorcycle, it allows for easier storage, and has half the maintenance of a motorcycle. The sherman is already 80+ lbs and has quickly become the most popular wheel for enthusiasts. The monster pro is nearly 100 lbs. The market is already jumping off the portability ship, hard for me to imagine that the monster pro will be the biggest wheel to ever be released. 

• Like 1