INMOTION V12 (pre-release)

Inmotion Global

Am I the only one that absolutely hates the weird boxy design? Also it seems to lend itself to 'bowed' leg riding when watching the youtube videos? Is that accurate give in its height and boxy uppers? 

5 minutes ago, floki said:

Am I the only one that absolutely hates the weird boxy design? Also it seems to lend itself to 'bowed' leg riding when watching the youtube videos? Is that accurate give in its height and boxy uppers? 

I agree with you. I’m more attracted to the performance and waterproofing qualities then the aesthetics of this wheel. The front fender area under the light is really ugly!

On 5/5/2021 at 4:46 PM, conecones said:

Dang, I really hoped this was going to be a "Nikola Killer" as advertised, but it is basically the same torque and barely higher top speed (but need to ride tilt back to reach)? InMotion in 2021 still can't(or won't) beat a 2019 Gotway in performance for the same wheel size category? :/ Seems like they are still sticking with their tradition of having their flagship a few years behind Gotway's in pure performance. If Gotway refreshes the Nik+ it's almost certain it will beat the V12 in speed/torque/range as their refreshes always increase performance no matter what else is sacrificed. V12 is more like a KS16X killer IMO, as there's literally no reason to get the 16x now even if its a little cheaper. I guess the only upgrade from a Nikola is going to be those quality of life improvements, which may matter to some new buyers but probably not as much for existing Nikola owners since there's no real difference in performance.

I think you're right on the money with that statement. I've been using the 16X since late last summer as my first wheel and this season I'm starting to get to the point of seriously considering an upgrade to 100V that would give me plenty of safety cushion for my frame (200+ lbs). I don't like pushing the 16X over 40kph unless it's early in the ride but the V12 has plenty of room to spare beyond that. Really thought I'd be getting a suspension wheel next but this might work for me for this season even though I don't like the looks at all, might grow on me yet.

I agree it's not the most attractive wheel out there, but how a wheel rides is so much more important to me that I don't base much of decision on looks. 

My dad's been wanting an 18xl but I think this would a better choice for him. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 11:57 AM, evX_Mick said:

about 40 miles

I never had an NDA, not even a handshake. I'm just a good mensche lol. 

Would You say the range is very close to the 16x? 
All these eucs have unrealistic reported range, and it’s hard to compare. Having less range then the 16x would be a deal breaker for me as I’m not a speed demon. 

15 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Trying to design a product that Nikola owners would switch to sounds a bit pointless, since no matter how much better the product would be in every way, very few Nik users would buy a wheel from the same size category anyway.

I don’t think “Nikola killer” means “a must buy for Nikola owners”, but “a must buy instead of the Nikola”.

Money quote.

In the fervent desire/pursuit of "better/faster/longer" it's like everyone forgets how product categories/price categories work.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 11:04 AM, mrelwood said:

I don’t think “Nikola killer” means “a must buy for Nikola owners”, but “a must buy instead of the Nikola”.

Agreed. Also is it just me, or are most or all of the comments complaining about the V12 and its comparison to the Nikola, from Gotway "Speed demon" Lovers/Rider?

Just me? ok. :rolleyes::roflmao:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I think people got caught up in the "maketing hype" behind this wheel.. It was teased out to be some sort of (insert performance wheel name) killer. I think realistically this was never, and still is not a performance wheel killer.. To me, its just another option in the performance category. 

It is funny to me, because all though i like the fact it has its higher top speed, etc.. I am looking much more fwd to the customization features and other things. 

I think so, too. It's already the fastest 16x3" wheel. It's actually pretty impressive to achieve those speeds on a smaller diameter tire as RPM is the limiting factor on current motors. I think most riders don't even need speeds higher than 50 km/h. I kind of understand the disappointment for some. But seems like the wheel gets drowned by negativity because the expectation was to beat some easy-to-understand numbers in spec sheet from different price category. For me the V12 is exciting because of all the other features, like customisation etc. I'm very much expecting Inmotion to make an 18x3" suspended variation of the V12. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

The V12 discussions feels reminiscent to the V11 discussions, any negative critique is frown upon and rationalized away while the positive aspects gets hyped. You can like a wheel but still have completely valid negative critique those two things are not mutually exclusive, it's not black and white, there is no real benefit in picking sides and taking a blind stance for a manufacturer. 😉

It will for sure be interesting to see more impressions when the V12 is out in the wild.

Spot on the money, this is exactly how the V11 discussion went down. 

In my opinion, Inmotion will never "kill" anything, because that requires stepping out of their wheelhouse...inmotion prides on safety and reliability so don't look to them to innovate on speed or power. My opinion of course. 

9 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

The V12 discussions feels reminiscent to the V11 discussions, any negative critique is frown upon and rationalized away while the positive aspects gets hyped. You can like a wheel but still have completely valid negative critique those two things are not mutually exclusive, it's not black and white, there is no real benefit in picking sides and taking a blind stance for a manufacturer. 😉

It will for sure be interesting to see more impressions when the V12 is out in the wild.

I just feel like that is how the internet works these days unfortunately. Every time a new wheel comes out, the brand specific channels have this back and forth on things.

Obviously there will be some negative aspects of this wheel. While you can compare this directly to things like nik+, etc.. Expecting an inmotion wheel to behave like a begode is not really a negative.. Its just a personal preference.. 

It Might be a negative in a personal preference sort of way, but not in a review of a product sort of way.. Not sure if i am explaining this correctly.. but i just dont see the v12's current top speed and tilt back as a knock against it.  It may be a reason for someone not to buy it, but it is in no way a negative thing in my opinion

• Like 1

@UniVehje’s recent posts almost made a reply from me pointless, I fully agree with everything he wrote. But only almost... :P

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

The V12 discussions feels reminiscent to the V11 discussions, any negative critique is frown upon and rationalized away while the positive aspects gets hyped.

I don’t see that behavior much at all. “Any negative...” is definitely not true, as for example the looks and the lack of realistic launch dates or other detailed information from Inmotion are often critiqued, and I don’t see anyone defending.

And if a critique can be “rationalized away”, I’m not sure if the critique was very rational or founded in the first place.

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

You can like a wheel but still have completely valid negative critique those two things are not mutually exclusive, it's not black and white, there is no real benefit in picking sides and taking a blind stance for a manufacturer. 😉

I most definitely wasn’t and aren’t doing that. The V12 is quite far from being a wheel I’d even use. I think the wheel looks horrible, launch organization is a disaster, the features are totally ass-backwards for the Inmotion lineup, etc... My point was simply that criticizing the max speed doesn’t seem very rational. It’s almost if one was criticizing the V12 for not having an actual 16” outer tire diameter despite being marketed as a 16” wheel.

2 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I hear a lot of disappointments over a pretty great new wheel and ...

I think it's really cool and I think in motion deserves credit (at least if it pans out) for being better about waterproofing especially of the batteries.  I think that's a very important thing that's often neglected by others in the past.

The only reason I'm not selling my ACM2 and jumping all over this wheel is because I kind of want to see what the next iteration of inmotions suspension wheel will be first (and because I never early adopt) and I don't absolutely need a new wheel yet. Do I want it, oh yeah, but do I need it, noooo 🙁, so I will wait and see what we've got coming out around December. V13 with similar specs to this wheel and a suspension system, mmmm

• Like 1

I think this V12 is great, a super MCM5 for quick city commutes.

Le Périphérique (the highway around Paris) is limited to 70kph, and they plan to limit it to 50 soon, so going 60 is more than enough.
As a long-living motorcyclist, it's known that injuries get worst over 50kph (also the speed limit in town), so back-tilt at 60, I dont see the problem.

This V12 seems to target the mass users that want good quality built and 10-15kph room for safety reason. The hooligans might indeed be deceived.

• Like 1

EVX said that the Nikola and V12 are comparable. They both go 38 MPH as tested by EVX. The Nikola is a bit tougher and the V12 is more nimble with lots of extras. Not really a Nikola killer but in his opinion better than the Nikola. .............. Correct me if I am wrong the Nikola only claims 35 MPH and goes 38 MPH while the V12 claims 43.5 MPH and only goes 38 MPH. ...... I believe that is a quality issue. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 2