INMOTION V12 (pre-release)

Inmotion Global

As much as I want to be hyped for this wheel also, I can't give up suspension either. I'm sure it is going to be an amazing wheel too and finally taking it to the higher speeds for people with the usual Inmotion good points is going to be enough I guess.

• Like 1

Being new to the hobby, and a recent purchaser of a v11.

Let's engineer this thing to be maintained.  Air in shocks is a regular maintenance item, lets give easy tool free access to shock valves if the v12 continues using them.  I hope that it does!  The ride on the V11 is just cherry.   Second topic on maintenance, lets make wheel\motor access easier to achieve.  V11 is one of the harder to access I have told.

I am not crazy about LED lights, but kind of wish a quality speaker was installed.

my 2 cents.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 11:29 PM, Wren said:

The S18 is the "it comes close" euc that i've been considering, but I think I am going to hold out for the 2nd generation of suspension wheels.  I live out in Drumheller and I plan to explore the area with my mountain bike instead this season.

For sure, an MTB or better yet, an eMTB is a awesome offroad toy & given the right parameters, its fun & great exercise as well. That said, don't sell the S18 short. Despite its 1st batch suspension deficits & power/range limitations, its burrowed itself in to be my fav wheel. It's done some technical MTB trails & I've been limited only by my own skills & a knobby tire. I've also dumped it more than I can count & its stood up better than I thought.

Let me know if you make it to my neck of the woods this summer. There's a huge gnarly MTB (Nose Hill) park (& skateboard park as well) a few miles from me that'll give you a good for you for the money. Maybe we can do some EUC rides on the bike paths by the Bow as well.

Edited by Scottie888

7 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

Being new to the hobby, and a recent purchaser of a v11.

Let's engineer this thing to be maintained.  Air in shocks is a regular maintenance item, lets give easy tool free access to shock valves if the v12 continues using them.  I hope that it does!  The ride on the V11 is just cherry.   Second topic on maintenance, lets make wheel\motor access easier to achieve.  V11 is one of the harder to access I have told.

I am not crazy about LED lights, but kind of wish a quality speaker was installed.

my 2 cents.

Good ideas but Inmotion already said V12 won't be a suspension wheel, will be a performance wheel without suspension.

12 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Good ideas but Inmotion already said V12 won't be a suspension wheel, will be a performance wheel without suspension.

Not so sure about that anymore.  Thats what Liam had told us months and months ago, but in a recent Wrong Way video, Adam hints that the v12 may indeed be a suspension wheel

Going with a smaller tire it will be harder to achieve high speeds, I don't think we are going to see more than 65kmh like on the nikola+, also given it's large battery it will also be another 30kg+ wheel, will be interesting to see how thin they can manage to make it, like other IM wheels.

• Like 1

Regarding speeds, with a 16x3 tire (~17" wheel) I just can't see them trying to claim any speed challenge to Sherman. If anything it would seem to be an IM equivalent 100v Nik+ -- 40mph max, really aiming for sustained 30-35 mph with headroom (compared to 84v wheels which generally have a low 30s mph max and aim for sustained high 20s mph).

Not that that's a bad thing. Honestly 100v Nik+ specs (with either 4p or possibly as much as 6p) but with an IM design and quality is a very compelling proposition in the current product landscape, particularly since Begode continues its widespread loss of consumer confidence and Veteran not showing any evidence of doing anything smaller/cheaper than the Sherman. I just hope they can keep it under ~60-65 lbs (bigger battery but smaller tire and no suspension compared to V11).

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

Sadly, I don't think they till achieve what they want like this. The price will be probably around 2500usd, the speed just not enough and the weight still too much(don't think it will be less than 66lbs). The nikola+ is a pretty sturdy, reliable wheel close to IM, so I don't see why choose this. This wheel will be like the EX.N compared to the HS MSP.

I agree about the 6p 2700wh setup.

Edited by Ádám Szitás
  • Like 1

To me a 6p battery seems to be the best balance for protecting the battery for spike dips under load. And still keep enough cells to maintain range. 

But I still don't expect it to surpass the Veteran in both range or speed. From. What they (IM) hinted a little time back I think is will be somewhere in between Nikola+ and Sherman. 

And yes I had forgotten that they talked about making a 100ish volt wheel too. Which indicates it is more of a speed than range wheel. 

23 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Inmotion already said V12 won't be a suspension wheel, will be a performance wheel without suspension.

My money is on them using  the V11 hollow core motor, rewound for 100V, a 2,000 - 2,500 Wh battery pack with 21700 high drain cells, 18x3 inch tire and perhaps a shell with built-in adjustable powerpads, however they are going to implement that.

23 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

My money is on them using  the V11 hollow core motor, rewound for 100V, a 2,000 - 2,500 Wh battery pack with 21700 high drain cells, 18x3 inch tire and perhaps a shell with built-in adjustable powerpads, however they are going to implement that.

It will not be a 18". The 16" is confirmed. In my talks with Inmotion they isad "it will not use new untested parts" (that is how I recall it). Translated into what it means: they will not use mechanical constructions that we have not see before so it will be simpler and less conplex. I will expect then to use a further developed BMS though. 

These things I write as confirmed comes from talks they did some time back in public on telegram and WhatsApp. And what I kept getting in private talks, that still confirms what has been said public. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Unventor said:

It will not be a 18". The 16" is confirmed. In my talks with Inmotion they isad "it will not use new untested parts" (that is how I recall it). Translated into what it means: they will not use mechanical constructions that we have not see before so it will be simpler and less conplex.

Ah OK I didnt know that.

The V11 uses an 18x3 tire and their latest motor though, so I find it surprising that they cite "not wanting to use untested parts" as their reason for sticking with the 16'' wheel. As in, if they consider the V11 motor "untested parts" (obviously meaning "potentially unreliable and failure prone" in this context) why did they even bring out the V11?

I wonder if the bearing issues with the V11 motor gave them such a fright that they are, for now, trying to avoid each and every risk. Or maybe they intend to place the V12 between the V10F and the V11 and it will basically be a V10F with the V10F motor and tire but in a new shell with a bigger battery pack. Very curious.

Edited by mhpr262

23 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

The V11 uses an 18x3 tire and their latest motor though, so I find it surprising that they cite "not wanting to use untested parts" as their reason for sticking with the 16'' wheel. As in, if they consider the V11 motor "untested parts" (obviously meaning "potentially unreliable and failure prone" in this context) why did they even bring out the V11?

Let me explain a bit further. The motor of V11 and suspension system are 2 very innovative design moves not seen really before in EUCs. Yes around same time of shortly after other brands did something similar but they are clearly very different from previous construction choices. 

The V12 do not have same innovative design choices on the mechanical parts. The is not the same it do not have new parts at all.

And I doubt it has to do from lessons from the V11. It is down to they didn't need to do suspension so they can simplify how to approach this. 

Let's just say like this I don't think the hollow bore motor is dead and not suspension either but it is not used on V12. Now I have no specefic details on how they make the motor jand the attack ment just yet. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

I’m sure they have analysed their marked when it comes to wheel size, but for me a high performing long range 16” wheel is without the slightest interest. My short-ish girlfriend prefers larger wheels now, even in the city, because of the potholes. The only instances we both still prefer the light and nimble 16” wheels that we have are when we are sightseeing in a new city and have to carry the wheels up and down stairs and on to mass transit vehicles. I have never understood the high performing 16” market. For me it is too dangerous to ride a small wheel fast, because even a small pothole can be my doom, and off-road they’re too busy and limited. Wheel size is a safety feature in the city, and almost a must if you ride off-road, in my opinion.

Because of the stubborn lack of development when it comes to safety features, serviceability, durability, appalling customer service, the almost total lack of customer communication, poor build quality, and poor-quality control in all EUC manufactures, I currently think the Sherman will be my last wheel. An authoritarian business culture will never be able to adapt and develop their products in a way that more democratic cultures are a custom to, so I’m not very optimistic about the future of EUC’s. If they don’t care about my safety or the safety of my surroundings, and refuse to develop products that have the robustness and quality it needs to be reasonable 30-40 mph vehicles, I can’t justify spending money on their products anymore. It was ok when it was a new thing that I thought was going through a development, then I could live with some safety and quality issues, but when the new wheels are less safe and of poorer quality than the previous generations, I don’t see the point in continuing to support this industry.

Edited by Espen R

44 minutes ago, Ádám Szitás said:

I agree about the first segment of your post.

But the second, I just thought about the exact opposite, the wheels progress so fast. Just look at what we got this year, on one hand we reached 3000+wh battery and 80kmh speeds. On the other hand we got kickstand, suspensions, quality lights, proper waterproofing, high safety margins, metal structures instead of plastic. Even last minute changes that the community asked, and it got delivered, I never thought it will be possible. All in just one year... I'm very hopeful for the future.

I see your point, but to me this is not the development I need to continue to throw money at this industry. Safety features that protect me and the wheel, so no cut-outs and not the slightest possibility to blow mosfets and capacitors, is not a high demand and not that difficult to implement. If it can go 35-50 mph, then it should also be able to survive a crash at those speeds. Changing a tire shouldn’t take 3 hours. Smart BMS!! I know the V12 might be the first with a somewhat smart BMS, but when the technology already exists, why have it taken so long. How many injuries do we need and how many apartment buildings have to burn down before EUC manufactures starts to understand why large battery-packs needs a smart battery management system??? Do we have to end up with deaths before our safety are taken seriously?  

I don’t see the giant leap between 18XL/16X/MSX and the V11/S18/Sherman/All the 2020 Gotways. I see a few things better and a lot of things the same or slightly worse.

10 hours ago, Espen R said:

I’m sure they have analysed their marked when it comes to wheel size, but for me a high performing long range 16” wheel is without the slightest interest. My short-ish girlfriend prefers larger wheels now, even in the city, because of the potholes. The only instances we both still prefer the light and nimble 16” wheels that we have are when we are sightseeing in a new city and have to carry the wheels up and down stairs and on to mass transit vehicles. I have never understood the high performing 16” market. For me it is too dangerous to ride a small wheel fast, because even a small pothole can be my doom, and off-road they’re too busy and limited. Wheel size is a safety feature in the city, and almost a must if you ride off-road, in my opinion.

Because of the stubborn lack of development when it comes to safety features, serviceability, durability, appalling customer service, the almost total lack of customer communication, poor build quality, and poor-quality control in all EUC manufactures, I currently think the Sherman will be my last wheel. An authoritarian business culture will never be able to adapt and develop their products in a way that more democratic cultures are a custom to, so I’m not very optimistic about the future of EUC’s. If they don’t care about my safety or the safety of my surroundings, and refuse to develop products that have the robustness and quality it needs to be reasonable 30-40 mph vehicles, I can’t justify spending money on their products anymore. It was ok when it was a new thing that I thought was going through a development, then I could live with some safety and quality issues, but when the new wheels are less safe and of poorer quality than the previous generations, I don’t see the point in continuing to support this industry.

To be a little bit fair to the industry, high speed electric unicycles are like 3 years old lol.  Lets not pretend we are 20 years into development of these beasts. 

Until recently electric unicycles where compact ultra portable last mile commuter toys. Only very very very recently has the high speed vehicle trend really started. 

I know we live in a culture that demands near instantaneous satisfaction, but i do think your not giving this industry a fair shake.  I personally think they have all made HUGE improvements to their vehicles. And slowly as people are willing to spend more and more money on these devices the quality will continue to increase.

I believe the biggest bottle neck for the industry right now is the price above all else.  Manufacturers must stay in the 2-3000$ range because there is no proof of concept for more expensive devices.  We are just now seeing the first 2500$ , 3000$, and 35000$ wheels ever produced.  The market needs time to continue to test the upward bounds of market pricing.

I am 100% positive we will see a 5000$ wheel in the next 3-4 years as companys continue to test the high end customer price limits.  

We are FAR from end game with EUC imo.  If i had enough savy to do so (and if it wasn't investing in the CCP) i would LOVE to get in on some Inmotion and Veteran ETFs 

Edit: just to add, according to this list (i cant verify its exact accuracy) literallly the fastest wheel in the world in 2018 was the inmotion v10f, which would be considered a childs wheel now just over 2 years later https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=5C7F7C96B9CB240D!453580&ithint=file%2cxlsx&authkey=!AH72KLYXambSLHc

Edit2: this has been shown to not be an accurate representation of release dates. If anyone knows which wheel was the first to hit 35 mph+ i am interested 

Edit 3 lol : to be clear , the list is accurate, my interpretation of the list is incorrect. I have zero intent to anger or slander anyone 

Edited by GoGeorgeGo
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

To be a little bit fair to the industry, high speed electric unicycles are like 3 years old lol.  Lets not pretend we are 20 years into development of these beasts. 

Until recently electric unicycles where compact ultra portable last mile commuter toys. Only very very very recently has the high speed vehicle trend really started. 

I know we live in a culture that demands near instantaneous satisfaction, but i do think your not giving this industry a fair shake.  I personally think they have all made HUGE improvements to their vehicles. And slowly as people are willing to spend more and more money on these devices the quality will continue to increase.

I believe the biggest bottle neck for the industry right now is the price above all else.  Manufacturers must stay in the 2-3000$ range because there is no proof of concept for more expensive devices.  We are just now seeing the first 2500$ , 3000$, and 35000$ wheels ever produced.  The market needs time to continue to test the upward bounds of market pricing.

I am 100% positive we will see a 5000$ wheel in the next 3-4 years as companys continue to test the high end customer price limits.  

We are FAR from end game with EUC imo.  If i had enough savy to do so (and if it wasn't investing in the CCP) i would LOVE to get in on some Inmotion and Veteran ETFs 

I really hope you're right, but if you look at the wheels that have come out in 2020, you can't say they have improved a lot. We've had bearing issues, dangerous cut outs and fires. My Sherman has less overpower safety features than my KS16S, and the BMS is still fairly primitive. More speed and more range isn't really HUGE improvements when the basic issues that cause danger to the rider hasn't seen any development.

Of the people I have known who have professionally worked with table saws, I would say at least half of them have lost one or more fingers. Everybody said the same, it was user error, their own fault, like that made it ok. Now we have table saws that prevents you from cutting off your fingers, and now no one thinks it is ok to lose fingers because of user error anymore. Humans make mistakes, that’s a fact, so then I think it is fair to demand EUC’s that protect us from user errors without blowing the motherboard or cutting out.

Edited by Espen R
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

I would disagree with you, i think the wheels in 2020 are huge upgrades.  We are seeing fuses on motherboards, the Sherman is 20% faster than any wheel before it, also has 30% more battery than even aftermarket battery added wheels. 3" tires have become standardized this year. Wheels gained suspension systems. Control boards are being mounted ontop of machines for the first time with balanced battery packs on either side. Gotway has been going back and improving older models of wheels, inmotion has tried new firmware features, the veteran company added a roll bar to a machine for the first time. 

To me the issues you describe are natural growing pains from an industry growing WAAAAYYYYY to fast.  I mean we had what? Like 9 new wheels released in the past 12 months? Gotway alone has released Mcm5 v2 , Tesla v3, Rs , Ex , Monster Pro all in just the past 6 months. 

Bearing failures, control boards frying, these are issues inherent with the fluid upward development of the industry. More speed means more power , higher impact forces, less efficient movements.  If wheels have been traveling 40 mph+ for a decade we would already have figured out standard sizes of wire, hestsinks, mosfets, you name it.  Currently every company is trying all new designs and new materials. To expect them to nail it first try is a bit optimistic.

I 100% agree i wish they where more safe and higher quality.  But for now safety doesnt sell, speed sells. Battery size sells. Aesthetics sells. These companys have to move towards profits above all else.  

Once a speed and fuel capacity upper end is reached, then quality and safety will be major drivers of purchasing decisions. But have you ever heard anyone buying a sherman or gotway rave about the wheels safety? 

I don't think we'll agree, but I see and respect your points. The way I see it is that if they don't implement adequate safety features now, then someone will die and then we might get regulation or even bans. I don't care about speed being more sexy than safety, I care about the future of EUC's. One fire with casualties or one high speed cut out with severe injury or death might be enough to end the entire industry. That's the reason for my pessimism. El-Scooters have already been banned in some cities because of accidents, and there is no sane reason to why that wont happen to EUC's. One high speed cut-out on a Sherman that takes out a kindergarden-class, and suddenly EUC's are the new villain. 

My first gen KS18XL 2000W is safer than the newer 2200W version, and the protection it has to prevent overload cut-outs is miles a head of my 2020 Sherman, and no one of the new wheels have any safety cut-out improvements over the 2.5 year old 18XL, or am I missing something???

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Espen R said:

I don't think we'll agree, but I see and respect your points. The way I see it is that if they don't implement adequate safety features now, then someone will die and then we might get regulation or even bans. I don't care about speed being more sexy than safety, I care about the future of EUC's. One fire with casualties or one high speed cut out with severe injury or death might be enough to end the entire industry. That's the reason for my pessimism. El-Scooters have already been banned in some cities because of accidents, and there is no sane reason to why that wont happen to EUC's. One high speed cut-out on a Sherman that takes out a kindergarden-class, and suddenly EUC's are the new villain. 

My first gen KS18XL 2000W is safer than the newer 2200W version, and the protection it has to prevent overload cut-outs is miles a head of my 2020 Sherman, and no one of the new wheels have any safety cut-out improvements over the 2.5 year old 18XL, or am I missing something???

Totally respect your stance. I just think its as likely an accident happens because of rider error and riding recklessly. No amount of safety features stops people from doing 40mph on bike paths. Reckless riding is also , imo, 10x more prevalent than mechanical failure

Im not sure what your reference for the Sherman being more cutout prone is, i have heard of little to zero cutouts on the sherman. With its 100v battery and 3000+wh capacity, beefy mosfets, even fuses for the main board. It seems to.me.to be by far the safest wheel available from an overlean cutout perspective

Edit: just to add for a perspective, look at the Ford motor company , they where formed in 1917 and have produce over 156 different models of just cars not counting yearly updates . (Not trucks vans suvs, just cars) and thats just one company. The entire unicycle industry is like 40 machines in total. And yet Ford still has routine recalls, they break down at low mileages, parts they use fail constantly. And thats with mega corporation research and liability

Edited by GoGeorgeGo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Totally respect your stance. I just think its as likely an accident happens because of rider error and riding recklessly. No amount of safety features stops people from doing 40mph on bike paths. Reckless riding is also , imo, 10x more prevalent than mechanical failure

Im not sure what your reference for the Sherman being more cutout prone is, i have heard of little to zero cutouts on the sherman. With its 100v battery and 3000+wh capacity, beefy mosfets, even fuses for the main board. It seems to.me.to be by far the safest wheel available from an overlean cutout perspective

Edit: just to add for a perspective, look at the Ford motor company , they where formed in 1917 and have produce over 156 different models of just cars not counting yearly updates . (Not trucks vans suvs, just cars) and thats just one company. The entire unicycle industry is like 40 machines in total. And yet Ford still has routine recalls, they break down at low mileages, parts they use fail constantly. And thats with mega corporation research and liability

My Sherman blew it's motherboard because of some blockage right after I turned the wheel on. Protecting a motherboard from this kind of overload issue isn't a hard task to ask for, since other EUC manufacturers already have five so.

Smart BMS have been around for years, and the fact that my Sherm has a simple BMS scares me. 3200WH is a lot of energy if something goes wrong, and it is very expensive to replace.

Ford have had many recalls for implementing new technology too soon, while EUC manufacturers refuse to implement existing technology. A combustion engined car is also way more complicated than a EUC, so I don't think it's a fair comparison there either.

Even a EUC fire can be claimed to be user error, if someone charges right after a hard ride, but I think safety features that prevents that from happening is the right approach, and I do think it is in the best interest of both user and manufacturers. Overlean cut outs should also be impossible, even though they almost always are user error.

It's a silly thing that we are willing to accept fairly grim consequences because of user error when it is far more logical that we should demand safety features instead.

• Like 1