Is it possible to charge a dead car battery using an EUC?

Denny Paul

With all the time I've been spending with EUCs, my car battery died from sitting so long! I've already disconnected and got it on a battery tender, but that got my mind going.

Would it be possible to charge, even just trickle charge, a car battery using a larger EUC?

I dunno squat about electrics. But of what I know i think it should be possible? Going from 84v/100v source to a lesser system at 12v. 1000wh+ source to something around 100-200wh, something like that. 

It would be infinitely more convenient if there was a way to use only the usb outlet on the wheels too. USB 2.0 is supposedly a 5v system at 2 amps, so that may be an uphill battle, but i dunno if it's still possible. Even if the efficiency is crap, if there's a way to get it done, this would be a pretty nice perk for an apartment dweller like myself. (no outlets in our parking garage at all)

You could just buy a battery driven jump starter like this. Or just disconnect the battery when you know you're not going to use the car for a while - worth while writing down the security code for the radio as that always catches people out. Alternatively you can wait around with a pair of jump leads while looking helpless - I find this usually works for me ;) 

28 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

You could just buy a battery driven jump starter like this. Or just disconnect the battery when you know you're not going to use the car for a while - worth while writing down the security code for the radio as that always catches people out. Alternatively you can wait around with a pair of jump leads while looking helpless - I find this usually works for me ;) 

ha, yes, all good solutions. I have a portable jumper but would rather not wait till it dies next time. Still want to know if trickle charging the car battery is possible with a wheel as the power source though. 

Using the 84V battery directly is asking for trouble...

That being said, the practical way would be to use an inverter that accepts 90V DC. Those are rare and expensive.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32762489820.html

And with any device, care must be taken to avoid excessive current draw from the EUC.
Get this wrong, and you'll damage your toy in ways that may not be obvious, and that could cause injurious crashes or injurious fires later :(

• Like 2

Like Nike says... Just do it!   Like us around here say... AND get some video.  Just fwiw, SLA 12v batteries charge around 13-14V. The math isnt too complex, but I'd love to see you try it.

Just now, Denny Paul said:

Definitely sounds like I should err on the side of caution. I like my face the way it is currently. But if I feel like having a new look maybe I’ll give it a go ;)

Depending on your life insurance and car insurance, probably a wise choice. Doesnt help us in the video department tho :)  Snag a cheap float charger to keep on the car when not in use. Can't hardly CHARGE with one of those, but theyll keep the battery up. SLA is a stable and safe battery chemistry. I keep a tiny float charger near my supermoto and plug it in for days at a time. Since doing that, I havent had to replace the battery EVERY DAMN YEAR!! I think the charger was around $20 and is much smaller than a lunchbox (do kids use those anymore?).