Learn To Ride An EUC - A Detailed Written Guide - From Never-Ever To Expert

DJ_Cosmo

• 8 months later...

Just a humble addition: I wouldn't recommend a motorcyle helmet. Full-face for sure, but rather one for Mountainbike/Downhill. They are just so much lighter and more comfortable to wear.

• Like 1

Thanks this is great. I'm still learning and making a list in my mind of 'things to practice' and this helped me fill out that list. 

As an example, when you're learning to ride a fixed gear bike, you see all the little 'tricks' people are doing that help with control and understanding the bike, track stands, skid stops, etc. Those aren't as apparent on an EUC- at least I don't think they are. But they're coming clear, from the beginner stuff like being able to stop and start without holding onto something, then riding with one foot, turning in tiny circles, the pendulum. 

Good stuff.

I was lucky, using a screened fence at a tennis court was good enough for me. I used arm flailing to twist the EUC into direction of fall for balance, and to steer the EUC where I wanted it to go, flail left to steer right and vice versa. This seems to be instinctive for some new riders, including some very young kids around 6 years old in the videos I watched. When I switched to a long straight where I felt more comfortable going faster, I found that my V8F became stable at around 10 to 12 kph due to the combination of speed and steering response to tilt due to imbalance being enough to correct for the imbalance.

Edited by rcgldr

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/20/2021 at 11:31 PM, DJ_Cosmo said:

You simply must wear a full face helmet

so not true :P

I made a small statistics from 150 riders passing by in the wild (not YT but France) and "only" 25% wore a full face helmet. The legal speed limit in France is 25km/h (for EUCs and other PEVs). It's Europe, where the majority of cyclists and PEV users don't wear a helmet at all.

I have taught dozens and dozens of people to ride. The one person that rejected trying because I didn't provide a helmet was the one north American. It looks to me quite like a cultural difference, possibly in part driven by the (correct) perception that north American streets are comparatively unsafe in various ways.

Aside from hills, the only real consumption of power by your EUC is from wind resistance,

not quite, the "base consumption" of an EUC is in the order of 50-100Wh per 10km.

which increases exponentially

not quite, the energy consumption from wind resistance (drag) is proportional to the speed squared when computed per mileage and cubic with speed when computed per time. Power consumption from drag when standing up is roughly 90W at 20km/h (12mph) and 1kW at 45km/h (28mph). It "overtakes" the "base consumption" only at about 20-25km/h and possibly only above 30km/h for seated riding.

Snow – nope

Different riders have different opinions on this too. To me, snow rides can be quite pleasurable and interesting, while it depends very much on the specific conditions. https://youtu.be/sY_bCOBltA8?si=1Cb17bOXii0aNaeY

Legally, you can treat a Stop sign as a Yield sign and Red Light as a Stop Sign.  This isn’t legal in NYC

LOL, I am done here :efee8c29ce:

Edited by Mono

Turning - an EUC can be twisted or tilted to steer. Twisting directly steers the EUC, tilting steers due to camber effect (the middle of a tire has a larger radius than the edges of a tire, and when tilted, this causes the tire to roll in a circle). Twisting is mostly used at slower speeds, and tilting is the most common way to turn at normal speeds. A rider has to coordinate how much to tilt an EUC to steer it, and how much the rider has to lean for balance, depending on turning radius and speed. Generally at slower speeds, an EUC is tilted more than the rider leans, and at around 15 mph or faster, an EUC is tilted less than the rider leans. Example of slow speed tilt steering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqoNhGEhk2Y

Turning at around 15 mph or so on a S18, the S18 is tilted a bit less than the rider leans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hWMwK3Cfs0&t=14s

Counter-steering is used to adjust  or control lean angle, regardless if the rider is aware of it or not. To initiate a lean, the EUC is steered outwards from under the rider, leaning the rider inwards. Once leaned and turning, steer more to lean less, steer less to lean more. Example video of me on my V8F, the V8F is moving side to side, while my helmet is barely moving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjD9sWQHoSA&t=46s

At moderate speeds, tilting can be done with just pedal pressure. At higher speeds, angular momentum resists any tilting, and the rider has to apply inwards pressure on the outside upper pad to get the EUC to tilt enough to make a turn. Video of Dawn Champion on a V13 at about 35 mph. The V13 is not tilted much, while Dawn is leaning | hanging off quite a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyRxroEKHas&t=2635s

Edited by rcgldr