EUC Open Source Controller Board

Mystamo

@Mystamo If I understand you correctly, you care that some companies can use your board and still have patents. I wouldn't bother with that as hardware is very simple "to copy" or have as reference, when developing other board.
In practice, I think the license of such a board and schematic is useless as a company can copy it quickly and easily. I think you and everyone win more if we share most possible.

2 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

@Mystamo If I understand you correctly, you care that some companies can use your board and still have patents. I wouldn't bother with that as hardware is very simple "to copy" or have as reference, when developing other board.
In practice, I think the license of such a board and schematic is useless as a company can copy it quickly and easily. I think you and everyone win more if we share most possible.

I don't mind if everyone uses it, my only concern is if there's an easy way to make self balancing and other small electric vehicles you might get even more American startups patent trolling. It would be annoying if at CES 2017 you have another round of CA based startups attacking other brands only to find out they used open source parts to build their own concept models. I think many other large open source projects have clauses to stop patent trolls exploiting them.

Technology is one part. The big part with skills is the certification/ safety part. If you read the latest news of the European Union with workgroup CEN/TC 354/WG 4. There will be much more safety targets to reach to just import them in future - not talking on street legal that's an other level. Let copy the stuff who likes to copy it. The copy cat still needs skills not available on site to use the technology to get products through customs in the western world.

Either we see mind changes in China or we see new EU companies emerge in Europe, USA, Australia/ New-Sealand, Japan, Taiwan and so on. With this countries you can discuss on patent fees.

Not sure why my name was referenced.  I don't care for licenses and such. This is just open sourced knowledge I hope anyone can share and use.  If you want to sell things and make a business out of it. By all means. Design your own stuff and go see a lawyer.  For me. Share share share. Keep open.  

Ive been slacking to finish the rev 2 board schematics. I hope it can be used as a reference for repair and. Custom firmware. 

Hopefully finish this week. 

Mo

@Mystamo if you don't put your source files on github with a GPL license, I will have no interest on this project as I don't consider it OpenSource. I must say that chinese board are really cheap and easy to buy. Any other board from a "small" project will be more expensive and I don't see a reason to pay more if the board isn't really OpenSource. Good luck with your project.

On 9/2/2016 at 10:59 AM, electric_vehicle_lover said:

@Mystamo if you don't put your source files on github with a GPL license, I will have no interest on this project as I don't consider it OpenSource. I must say that chinese board are really cheap and easy to buy. Any other board from a "small" project will be more expensive and I don't see a reason to pay more if the board isn't really OpenSource. Good luck with your project.

@electric_vehicle_lover maybe a misunderstand ? @Mystamao said "share share share keep open" and lizardamech sugggest gpl3:huh:

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 12/16/2015 at 7:45 AM, lizardmech said:

I'm trying to get one produced in china. I'm waiting for them to get back to me with a price estimate and feedback from their engineers.

If that fails my other plan is to adapt this project to EUC use. Its already 90% perfect for the job, it just needs a MPU6050, a few more ports that the EUC use and few components changed to allow 100V support for ebikes and 67V EUC. I don't think it's layout is suited to mass production so the thing holding me back is a new layout to take to a PCB factory. Currently I would have to rely on freelance engineers from china or russia if I want to modify this one. http://vedder.se/2015/01/vesc-open-source-esc/

pcb.png

Is this based off of the VESC? I don't know too much about electronics but I very much support this!

Archived