Default Aliexpress pads/mod review (300km)

xiiijojjo

Originally i was really excited about these pads or rather the mod i had made with them as seen below.

IMG_20201211_190038.thumb.jpg.e14f3f59d2133e0ebe3decc40e07207b.jpgIMG_20201211_190056.thumb.jpg.6ee36d078584ff1241f8b3b7dd9d0d25.jpgIMG_20201211_190118.thumb.jpg.1a917d9717a0ba7491e9cf761652df6c.jpgIMG_20201211_190250.thumb.jpg.003a4ed9080808e6b9f1c8c947b2beb4.jpg

Not having ridden a wheel as heavy as the RS they initially offered a lot of help climbing steep angles (especially when accelerating from 0km/h while being on said steep angle) because they would limit the angle of my forward lean and allow me to torque the wheel by naturally having my shins pushing into them, eliminating the possibility of having to lean too far forward to accelerate it up a steep angle and feeling it slipping away from virtually standing on my toes while leaning forward at a quite aggressive angle. 

Now, unfortunately, i have come to realize that is the singular thing the pads actually do help with, although having touted, on this forum, that pads are a must for heavier wheels a sentiment i no longer agree with.

The reason i no longer believe this is because how the pads (regardless of repositioning of which i have done plenty) severely limit aggressive leaning and therefore aggressive acceleration to the point where unless i ride a completely flat or downhill surface i won't be able to accelerate to the point of hearing the 80% beeps, handicapping me and limiting me from my usual aggressive riding style. 
But that's not all! They also limit the general agility of the wheel especially when it comes to highspeed turning, and make seated/crouched riding an impossibility. 

I thought it would be a matter of getting used to it but after 300km i can confidently say that i won't be using those pads/mod anymore, and would rather learn to go up approximately 30-35 degree hills from a stationary position, and i suspect spiked pedals will help negate the sensation of it slipping from leaning + standing on toes. The complete disintegration of the shitty grip-tape is not helping either. The grip-tape from older models lasted me at least 1 year (4000km approximately) before replacing with default gotway grip-tape but this new recipe is a disaster and is totally gone after only 300km :facepalm:

I will do another 300km without pad mod and update this post with my conclusion. However with all this covid lockdown and cold i haven't been riding anywhere near as much as i want. Also waiting for spiked pedals as the previously mentioned worn down grip-tape now effectively has made my pedals feel like curling sheets :eff0541f4a:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

The reason i no longer believe this is because how the pads (regardless of repositioning of which i have done plenty) severely limit aggressive leaning and therefore aggressive acceleration to the point where unless i ride a completely flat or downhill surface i won't be able to accelerate to the point of hearing the 80% beeps, handicapping me and limiting me from my usual aggressive riding style. 
But that's not all! They also limit the general agility of the wheel especially when it comes to highspeed turning, and make seated/crouched riding an impossibility. 

That is exactly the reason why such bulky power pads are absolutely out of the question for me. My riding style is apparently like yours. Although I have also moved my power pads several times by 3-4mm until I found the perfect place.
If you've never ridden with power pads, you'll have to readjust the pads several times anyway, because you have to get used to them first.
Over time, I also reduced the cutout size piece by piece by a total of 15mm. I would never ride again without power pads, because I can ride much more extreme and in addition even safer.

Here is just one example:
I was riding with around 50kmh through the woods and I didn't saw the tree on my path and for the first time I was filming with my phone. I tried to brake and stopped on the tree with 2kmh left. Falling to the front, but I did not want to bail out. I squeezed the wheel a little and my Power-Pads in combination with spiked Nylonove pedals pushed the MSP over the tree without any jump. The tree was around 25-30cm high.
Of course, I could have jumped off the wheel, but I didn't want to. But it shows what is possible when you ride aggressively and you can no longer swerve or brake in time when a pothole or an obstacle appears without being catapulted from the wheel.

I am not happy with this "alipad" is not confortable. I purchase 1X1  meter plate 3m tape for readjust. My MSP have EUC bodyguard and i need realy good grip to hold on neoprene. I relocate pads no joke hundred times sometime 8x in one roadtrip. Position i like is 5 cm over top side cover. This mean all dust stick on "unprotected tape"

All positions what is "recomended" is pain for me. I hate if my ankle is pushed or touching pad/case no way for me. Maybee is because my military grade boots is masive and my ancle is 4cm higher than normal(fashion shoes). 

Riding without pads is no way for me MSP need pads and sometime pads save me from fall if hit unexpected pothole/wood/stone etc.

Pads is from relatively hard material. And is very problematic glue or use doubleside tape to hold extra neoprene over pads and make them "softer".