Covid enabling work require tracking during off time

Im not going to even voice an opinion as it'll become a total shit show. Just figured I'd let everyone know: My wife's employer (houskeeping non-medical) is requiring everyone take their temperature while at home and data log it into a network. They are requiring this on weekends when not on duty and vacations.  They are plotting and data logging daily temperatures for their records. Anyone reporting a high temperature will be forced to stay home for 2 weeks. If you choose not get tested for covid, you don't get paid. If you test and it comes back positive, you get paid. They didnt mention who's fronting the testing bill. THey also didnt mention what happens if you test negative. Again, Im not going to even state an opinion, but I will say that she hasn't complied and is considering going elsewhere. Me, I'm betting there will be nowhere to go, that doesnt soon implement this and more into their daily requirements. She diligently checks her temperature before work and they also check it when she gets there. We've always kept thermometers (and toilet paper) on hand. I wonder if they're both getting hard to find now?

On another note:  I went to Dollywood 6 weeks ago and they checked mine as I entered and I was only 86.2. I didnt feel cold and didnt look almost dead, so I question the validity of their protocol. It seems people don't know what 6' is and still herd in like crowded cattle. Fwiw, I still feel fine. Kinda cold today tho.... :popcorn:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
9 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Im not going to even voice an opinion as it'll become a total shit show. Just figured I'd let everyone know: My wife's employer (houskeeping non-medical) is requiring everyone take their temperature while at home and data log it into a network. They are requiring this on weekends when not on duty and vacations.  They are plotting and data logging daily temperatures for their records. Anyone reporting a high temperature will be forced to stay home for 2 weeks. If you choose not get tested for covid, you don't get paid. If you test and it comes back positive, you get paid. They didnt mention who's fronting the testing bill. THey also didnt mention what happens if you test negative. Again, Im not going to even state an opinion, but I will say that she hasn't complied and is considering going elsewhere. Me, I'm betting there will be nowhere to go, that doesnt soon implement this and more into their daily requirements. She diligently checks her temperature before work and they also check it when she gets there. We've always kept thermometers (and toilet paper) on hand. I wonder if they're both getting hard to find now?

On another note:  I went to Dollywood 6 weeks ago and they checked mine as I entered and I was only 86.2. I didnt feel cold and didnt look almost dead, so I question the validity of their protocol. It seems people don't know what 6' is and still herd in like crowded cattle. Fwiw, I still feel fine. Kinda cold today tho.... :popcorn:

The exceptionally high transmission and hence death rate of non-medical essential workers is due to the strong incentive to lie about your health. For example, since the cost of optional health care for a Walmart employee exceeds the take home wages of said employee, it follows the majority of Walmart employees don't have health insurance. Since Walmart employees are termed essential workers, it follows they must work as they cannot get unemployment benefits (despite paying for them). That mostly explains the exceptionally high death rate of essential workers who are most likely to be exposed but least likely to have medical care.

You'll note the health policy implemented by your wife's company doesn't protect your wife nor her co-workers. It actually just protects the company she works for from being sued for not taking covid-19 precautions, but since the only effective precaution is telling workers to stay at home then it follows the health measures this company has taken will only increase covid-19 transmission and death rates.

That is, the health measures your wife's company is taking will increase covid-19 transmission rates because it encourages sick workers to lie about their health status and come to work. It's a health measure that causes more damage than not doing anything at all!

It's sort of one of those "danged if you do, darned if you don't" situations. Sounds like the employer is afraid of "your employee had COVID, came into my home and gave it to my grandma, who died". A very tough spot all around and in a way I don't blame them, even though it's anyone's guess if home temperature monitoring with consumer grade devices would actually change that risk. But I'd bet you can find a cadre of lawyers that would be willing to take on a wrongful termination case for a person who was separated for failure to take their temperature on weekends—don't know how it'd turn out but I'd suggest trying the case in East Texas District Court as folks there tend to grant outlandishly huge awards. At least in patent cases anyway.

Edited by Tawpie
On 1/14/2021 at 12:47 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

My wife's employer (houskeeping non-medical) is requiring everyone take their temperature while at home and data log it into a network. They are requiring this on weekends when not on duty and vacations.

log the time and equipment needed to take those temperatures in a notebook and if that time isn't on her paycheck, turn it over to the state labor board --they take wage theft really serious.

That is pretty strict protocols there @ShanesPlanet!  I work for a medical company, and we don't go that far.  They sent us very detailed instructs that basically states if you have any symptoms over a very broad spectrum don't come into work.  We have the luxury however to not really need to be physically there.

I can say that from the purely medical perspective I don't think most states are doing enough to prevent the spread.  When I work with local facilities in hot spots and try to get time from their staff to work on projects, it is becoming exceedingly apparent that staffing at some medical locations are at a breaking point... either we slow the spread or there will be literally no where for critically sick to go.

If it was me that had to do the temp checks I would moan and groan too... but in the back of my mind I would try and remind myself it is for a good cause.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 7:47 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

They didnt mention who's fronting the testing bill.

Her company probably wouldn't get any business if they couldn't show that the people going into their customers houses aren't clear of Covid.

31 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Her company probably wouldn't get any business if they couldn't show that the people going into their customers houses aren't clear of Covid.

She works a business location, as with hundred of other employees of various types. Temperature tracking at home isnt much proof of shit. I would presume that making EVERYONE take at least 3 consecutive tests, sit in a quarantined location until results are in, teleport to work, and refuse to come in direct contact with the public by any means... would be a fairly effective practice. Of course, it would all need done again as soon as anyone left the property.

Knowing corona, probably like 50% of the office already had it, and one or two people are currently infected and asymptomatic.

It's the same type of security theater that was after 9-11 - TSA was employing teenagers to pose with ammo-less rifles.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Well, she never did need comply with home temperature testing. However, she came down with her usual yearly sinus infection and we KNEW it was over. After calling in sick, she was told to get covid testing. Refusal was allowed per the business president, but it would mean you have to take 10 days off of work. If you have covid, they pay you. If you don't they won't. My wife had 10 days sick pay stored up, so she elected to take the days off and use sick pay. 4 days later, she's feeling better of course (not covid) and has to sit around another week. Her direct manager was angry that she didnt bow down to the covid test, so she got a call and was told that her name was pulled for a 'random' covid test. Anyone else think this seems kind of odd? So, halfway into her 10 paid sick days, she is now about to be fired for not complying with 'random' covid testing. Hopefully she can get her vacation pay first, as she has 2 weeks of that stored as well. So, after 4 years of dedicated service to her employer, she may be fired. I find it odd that they can do this, even tho no contracts or agreements of such, have been presented or signed.

This is just the beginning of it I'm sure. It won't be long before pre-emplyment testing and vaccination proof is required everywhere Im sure. Give 'em an inch and they take a mile. Sadly, they're already been given a few inches and the rest is soon to follow.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Yikes. That's the story nightmares are made of. Smells like a setup but if it's not it sure doesn't seem right or honest or fair. The sad part is if she fights it and wins, she'll maybe get backpay and restored to a job working for somebody she doesn't want to work for anyway. At least I wouldn't want to work for anyone that even appeared to be that kind of underhanded. Some outfits don't seem to understand that treating people badly is a lose lose proposition.

Not to worry, this is an opportunity to find an employer that values their people as human beings. We are not homogenous interchangeable work units and shouldn't permit ourselves to be treated as such.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Yikes. That's the story nightmares are made of. Smells like a setup but if it's not it sure doesn't seem right or honest or fair. The sad part is if she fights it and wins, she'll maybe get backpay and restored to a job working for somebody she doesn't want to work for anyway. At least I wouldn't want to work for anyone that even appeared to be that kind of underhanded. Some outfits don't seem to understand that treating people badly is a lose lose proposition.

Not to worry, this is an opportunity to find an employer that values their people as human beings. We are not homogenous interchangeable work units and shouldn't permit ourselves to be treated as such.

It's a show of power and its definitely not on the honest side of the spectrum. Her immediate manager is used to a crew of passive employees that she tends to be somewhat a tyrant and overstep reality. My wife is typically passive, but this time not. Up the ladder it went, and thats where the company wide memo of having the choice of taking 10 days off, was published. Once she took advantage of that option, her immediate manager changed it into an issue of personal vandetta. ffwd 2 days and BAM... random testing. It doesnt take a genius to see how this happened. The manager fully expect my wife to submit to the testing tomorrow, tho my wife has made it clear she will not. I've instructed my wife to remain very calm and make them fire her, rather than quit. After 4 yrs of getting up at 4:30 am to drive to a job thats an hour away, to clean after people for $10 an hour, 40hrs a week with no health benefits; theres probably another door opening that is better.. somewhere. Maybe she could put that damn business/accounting degree to use... or not.

I'm still baffled at the validity of 'random' covid testing. Seriously? It aint like covid is a habit that everyone tries to hide. Such an insane infringement for such little gains or actual chance of 'catching' someone in the act. 'resistance IS NOT futile'!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Why won't she take the test? How long does it take her to take her own temp?

If she did have Covid but was asymptomatic (meaning she had no symptoms but could still pass it on) then would she feel this was fair on the people that worked in these buildings? What if a few then died?

At my wife's school, all the teachers get tested a couple of times a week. If they didn't implement these tests then she wouldn't go in.

Posted (edited)

She takes her temp everyday(fairly pointless). Its not how long to take the test, that's missing the point. People die from sickness everyday, that guilt and worry is not an effective means to persuade either of us.  'What if' and 'fear' is a tactic that we dont bow down to. Asking someone who is on sick leave and 10 day quarantine,  leave the house mid break, to go somewhere is also missing the point. Most employers WISH they had control and say so over you while on your own time. Want all they may, our lives are not theirs to control and when you are NOT on the clock, your life is not theirs. Your medical records are also not theirs... Maybe soon we'll all get to wear a nifty shoulder patch to indicate we belong to a certain 'party' of people. Seems vaguely familiar. If you're too scared of getting sick, thats YOUR problem, not everyone else's. Those in fear need stay home, not impress their fear on everyone else. Every car on the street is a danger to me as a pedestrian. Since I'm scared, all those fu**erz should be walking instead of driving. Yes its a valid argument, people have and will die from being run over, long after the fear of covid is replaced with the next designer virus.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Virus precautions are not just for the individual, I may be perfectly capable of fighting off Covid-19 so my "fear" of it to my own mortality is relatively low.  I am however concerned about the next 20 people that I could potentially expose them to it if I do get infected.   Could they be in the high risk age group?  Could they have a pre-existing condition that leave them vulnerable to this virus?

You can make that analogy driving that yes driving is dangerous, therefore you should not do it.  However, a better analogy is impaired people should not drive because it is dangerous.  It's not the person himself dying behind the wheel, it's the people their reckless behavior take with them is the concern.  Because they are not the ones making the decision to not follow protocol, yet they pay the price.

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

She takes her temp everyday(fairly pointless). Its not how long to take the test, that's missing the point. People die from sickness everyday, that guilt and worry is not an effective means to persuade either of us.  'What if' and 'fear' is a tactic that we dont bow down to. Asking someone who is on sick leave and 10 day quarantine,  leave the house mid break, to go somewhere is also missing the point. Most employers WISH they had control and say so over you while on your own time. Want all they may, our lives are not theirs to control and when you are NOT on the clock, your life is not theirs. Your medical records are also not theirs... Maybe soon we'll all get to wear a nifty shoulder patch to indicate we belong to a certain 'party' of people. Seems vaguely familiar. If you're too scared of getting sick, thats YOUR problem, not everyone else's. Those in fear need stay home, not impress their fear on everyone else. Every car on the street is a danger to me as a pedestrian. Since I'm scared, all those fu**erz should be walking instead of driving. Yes its a valid argument, people have and will die from being run over, long after the fear of covid is replaced with the next designer virus.

You're wrong Shane. Your country has nearly lost as many people to Covid as to every war America has ever fought in. It's not a question of being scared. It's simply a question of respecting other people's lives. Some people are simply more at risk than others and your behaviour is putting their lives at risk and you have to understand that.       

Posted (edited)

MY behavior is such that I come in contact with maybe 2-3 people per month. It's not MY behavior. Respect? Like the respect to NOT try and force a person who is currently on sick leave, to leave the house and drive for 2 hours to get a test? Require that person to come in contact with others and leave their 'quarantine' mid term, to see if they were sick a week ago? Where's the respect of medical privacy? I understand that precautions need take place, but i also understand that the panic is causing an undermining of privacy and personal choice. What we allow and decide is 'normal' now, is just the beginning. How long until we have to present proof of vaccinations before allowing to travel within our own countries? At what point is the means worse than the ends? Why can't a person be responsible for themselves and call in sick when they feel sick? How is it being irresponsible for a person feeling ill, to stay home for 10 days in quarantine? How about the fact that I also have had to quarantine myself as I dont need pass on her sinus infection, even tho I never show symptoms? How about the respect and safety she has taken by not visiting her father who is dying but has been locked in a nursing home for months and finally got a weekend off? The same 80 year old man who got covid from a plumber and got over it. Forcing someone to comply to this crap is crap. How about we blame the virus and not the population? If you are at high risk, stay home. It makes little sense to create more problems for the masses, to protect the minority.

We'll just have to agree to disagree I'm sure. Just know that I won't blame another  person for ME getting me sick, when it does happen. If someone MADE this in a lab, I would like to somewhat blame them however.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

MY behavior is such that I come in contact with maybe 2-3 people per month. It's not MY behavior. Respect? Like the respect to NOT try and force a person who is currently on sick leave, to leave the house and drive for 2 hours to get a test? Require that person to come in contact with others and leave their 'quarantine' mid term, to see if they were sick a week ago? Where's the respect of medical privacy? I understand that precautions need take place, but i also understand that the panic is causing an undermining of privacy and personal choice. What we allow and decide is 'normal' now, is just the beginning. How long until we have to present proof of vaccinations before allowing to travel within our own countries? At what point is the means worse than the ends? Why can't a person be responsible for themselves and call in sick when they feel sick? How is it being irresponsible for a person feeling ill, to stay home for 10 days in quarantine? How about the fact that I also have had to quarantine myself as I dont need pass on her sinus infection, even tho I never show symptoms? How about the respect and safety she has taken by not visiting her father who is dying but has been locked in a nursing home for months and finally got a weekend off? The same 80 year old man who got covid from a plumber and got over it. Forcing someone to comply to this crap is crap. How about we blame the virus and not the population? If you are at high risk, stay home. It makes little sense to create more problems for the masses, to protect the minority.

I get your angle... I do.  It pains me that I can't pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for my kid because some people have a peanut allergy.  My kid loves PJ sandwiches.

I work in healthcare, and work in the data pools that docs use to make informed decisions and reassess risk.  So my opinion on this is definitely slanted.  It's not about stripping individual liberties, it's about saving lives.

I also have seasonal allergy stuff that triggers peoples fear of covid.  I sneeze a lot, dust allergies and what not.  You should see the looks I get at safeway when I sneeze, I bet its close to the look you get with a deer in the headlights.  I try to explain that for me, something is wrong when I'm not sneezing!

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

I get your angle... I do.  It pains me that I can't pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for my kid because some people have a peanut allergy.  My kid loves PJ sandwiches.

I work in healthcare, and work in the data pools that docs use to make informed decisions and reassess risk.  So my opinion on this is definitely slanted.  It's not about stripping individual liberties, it's about saving lives.

I also have seasonal allergy stuff that triggers peoples fear of covid.  I sneeze a lot, dust allergies and what not.  You should see the looks I get at safeway when I sneeze, I bet its close to the look you get with a deer in the headlights.  I try to explain that for me, something is wrong when I'm not sneezing!

Are you serious? Protecting the minorities allergies at expense of the masses?Im allergic to cyanide but you're more than welcome to tote a box of it around with you.  Im behind the times and I guess all is lost already. I'll just be one of those evil little trolls that rediculously expects you to protect yourself rather than me protect you. It may be that each of us places different meaning and value on life in general. Probably easier for me to say, as I've already lived a lot and as far as Im concerned, its already been a good long run!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
7 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Respect? Like the respect to NOT try and force a person who is currently on sick leave, to leave the house and drive for 2 hours to get a test?

That does seem a little crazy. Do they not have self tests in the USA? or won't her employer pay for her time?

Earlier you were giving the impression that your opinions were based on the feeling that it was wrong to be forced to take a test and that's where my response came from.

As a contrast, here in the UK, I only have to walk 5 mins to get to my nearest testing centre. Most people do wear masks indoors in public. My wife and I were vaccinated a few weeks ago and are expecting our second jab next month. As a whole I'd say the whole nation are behind the measures that have been put in place to restrict spread of the virus. Unfortunately we've also known quite a few people in our area that have had the virus, fortunately most (sadly not all) survived though the effects are quite long lasting.

Posted (edited)

We feel it is WRONG to force testing and data log everyone into a master computer. However, they continued to be underhanded in how it all went. Aside from not agreeing with testing, we find it rediculous to expect someone to leave their home while qurantined and on sick leave (for something else). The entire situation smells rotten and we wont have any part of it. Its quite simple really. We don't agree with it, we dont agree with where this is all going and will end up, so she basically is unemployed now. Unfortunately we are pridefull and dont agree with socialist welfare either. Now is a good time to just find something else to do i guess. How ironic that this week a LOT of states are also lifting their covid restrictions. So many help wanted signs up already (so odd, since theres TONS of people out of work miliking unemplyment at same time). I can only guess the need for workers will increase as restrictions are lifted, and the econonmy starts rolling again. My guess is a lot fo people are comfy now on welfare so the 'help wanted' needs will not dimish anytime soon. Her employer is taking the loss, as now they have to find a new employee. Hard to get people to work for $10 and not steal from you.

Edited by ShanesPlanet