Covid enabling work require tracking during off time

Im not going to even voice an opinion as it'll become a total shit show. Just figured I'd let everyone know: My wife's employer (houskeeping non-medical) is requiring everyone take their temperature while at home and data log it into a network. They are requiring this on weekends when not on duty and vacations.  They are plotting and data logging daily temperatures for their records. Anyone reporting a high temperature will be forced to stay home for 2 weeks. If you choose not get tested for covid, you don't get paid. If you test and it comes back positive, you get paid. They didnt mention who's fronting the testing bill. THey also didnt mention what happens if you test negative. Again, Im not going to even state an opinion, but I will say that she hasn't complied and is considering going elsewhere. Me, I'm betting there will be nowhere to go, that doesnt soon implement this and more into their daily requirements. She diligently checks her temperature before work and they also check it when she gets there. We've always kept thermometers (and toilet paper) on hand. I wonder if they're both getting hard to find now?

On another note:  I went to Dollywood 6 weeks ago and they checked mine as I entered and I was only 86.2. I didnt feel cold and didnt look almost dead, so I question the validity of their protocol. It seems people don't know what 6' is and still herd in like crowded cattle. Fwiw, I still feel fine. Kinda cold today tho.... :popcorn:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I don't know how the temperature of a human anus is affected by health/sickness but i would find out as something would make me want to measure and report that temperature instead in sheer outrage...

I did consider potentially measuring and reporting testicular temperature but i speculate it'd produce a counterproductive result with the heat radiating off of those suckers being damn near visible. 

Another option would be preheating my forehead to ludicrous temperatures moments before they were to check me. 
As they check me and see 70 degrees C and reporting this to me i will act as if i am touching my forehead to check my own temperature but in actuality i will have prepared myself to further fuck their worlds up by having an icepack palmed like a true magician and as i "check" my temperature i will instead apply the palmed icepack for long enough to liquify their brainlets once they do their 2nd measurement upon me stating that i don't feel hot and requesting another measurement.

Fun covid fact: In the country i currently live in (Portugal) their way of combatting the spread is by limiting people to shop from 8AM to 1PM creating lines of 50+ people for virtually any shop in that timeframe and 4x that for supermarkets with people being only centimeters apart and only during the weekends for some reason... Otherwise it's business as usual in the weekdays.

Government here is basically exclusively bona fide Mensa members toppling over from their veiny, swelling, bulbous skulls.

9 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Im not going to even voice an opinion as it'll become a total shit show. Just figured I'd let everyone know: My wife's employer (houskeeping non-medical) is requiring everyone take their temperature while at home and data log it into a network. They are requiring this on weekends when not on duty and vacations.  They are plotting and data logging daily temperatures for their records. Anyone reporting a high temperature will be forced to stay home for 2 weeks. If you choose not get tested for covid, you don't get paid. If you test and it comes back positive, you get paid. They didnt mention who's fronting the testing bill. THey also didnt mention what happens if you test negative. Again, Im not going to even state an opinion, but I will say that she hasn't complied and is considering going elsewhere. Me, I'm betting there will be nowhere to go, that doesnt soon implement this and more into their daily requirements. She diligently checks her temperature before work and they also check it when she gets there. We've always kept thermometers (and toilet paper) on hand. I wonder if they're both getting hard to find now?

On another note:  I went to Dollywood 6 weeks ago and they checked mine as I entered and I was only 86.2. I didnt feel cold and didnt look almost dead, so I question the validity of their protocol. It seems people don't know what 6' is and still herd in like crowded cattle. Fwiw, I still feel fine. Kinda cold today tho.... :popcorn:

The exceptionally high transmission and hence death rate of non-medical essential workers is due to the strong incentive to lie about your health. For example, since the cost of optional health care for a Walmart employee exceeds the take home wages of said employee, it follows the majority of Walmart employees don't have health insurance. Since Walmart employees are termed essential workers, it follows they must work as they cannot get unemployment benefits (despite paying for them). That mostly explains the exceptionally high death rate of essential workers who are most likely to be exposed but least likely to have medical care.

You'll note the health policy implemented by your wife's company doesn't protect your wife nor her co-workers. It actually just protects the company she works for from being sued for not taking covid-19 precautions, but since the only effective precaution is telling workers to stay at home then it follows the health measures this company has taken will only increase covid-19 transmission and death rates.

That is, the health measures your wife's company is taking will increase covid-19 transmission rates because it encourages sick workers to lie about their health status and come to work. It's a health measure that causes more damage than not doing anything at all!

It's sort of one of those "danged if you do, darned if you don't" situations. Sounds like the employer is afraid of "your employee had COVID, came into my home and gave it to my grandma, who died". A very tough spot all around and in a way I don't blame them, even though it's anyone's guess if home temperature monitoring with consumer grade devices would actually change that risk. But I'd bet you can find a cadre of lawyers that would be willing to take on a wrongful termination case for a person who was separated for failure to take their temperature on weekends—don't know how it'd turn out but I'd suggest trying the case in East Texas District Court as folks there tend to grant outlandishly huge awards. At least in patent cases anyway.

Edited by Tawpie
On 1/14/2021 at 12:47 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

My wife's employer (houskeeping non-medical) is requiring everyone take their temperature while at home and data log it into a network. They are requiring this on weekends when not on duty and vacations.

log the time and equipment needed to take those temperatures in a notebook and if that time isn't on her paycheck, turn it over to the state labor board --they take wage theft really serious.

That is pretty strict protocols there @ShanesPlanet!  I work for a medical company, and we don't go that far.  They sent us very detailed instructs that basically states if you have any symptoms over a very broad spectrum don't come into work.  We have the luxury however to not really need to be physically there.

I can say that from the purely medical perspective I don't think most states are doing enough to prevent the spread.  When I work with local facilities in hot spots and try to get time from their staff to work on projects, it is becoming exceedingly apparent that staffing at some medical locations are at a breaking point... either we slow the spread or there will be literally no where for critically sick to go.

If it was me that had to do the temp checks I would moan and groan too... but in the back of my mind I would try and remind myself it is for a good cause.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 7:47 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

They didnt mention who's fronting the testing bill.

Her company probably wouldn't get any business if they couldn't show that the people going into their customers houses aren't clear of Covid.

31 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Her company probably wouldn't get any business if they couldn't show that the people going into their customers houses aren't clear of Covid.

She works a business location, as with hundred of other employees of various types. Temperature tracking at home isnt much proof of shit. I would presume that making EVERYONE take at least 3 consecutive tests, sit in a quarantined location until results are in, teleport to work, and refuse to come in direct contact with the public by any means... would be a fairly effective practice. Of course, it would all need done again as soon as anyone left the property.

Knowing corona, probably like 50% of the office already had it, and one or two people are currently infected and asymptomatic.

It's the same type of security theater that was after 9-11 - TSA was employing teenagers to pose with ammo-less rifles.

Edited by atdlzpae