Veteran Sherman Winter tire topic (asking for recommends and listing what people use)

Tasku

So I am tempted to get Veteran Sherman and started this topic to figure out, if there are anyone here using Sherman actively during winter time?

To start with, I assume the Knobby offroad tire could be better than street tire by default. +?

My idea was to get recommends from other forum users. Maybe could make a list of what tires people are using during winter and some rating for it. Availability could be issue too so thats why the list could help some.

Would be very happy to get some chatter on topic.

This is my second winter on the CST C-186, which looks and in my understanding also otherwise is identical to the Sherman knobby (Kenda Ksomething).

The knobs on the C-186 are soft, providing a better grip in the winter as well. The knobs are tall and reasonably spaced, so it works really well in snow.

A more spacious Motocross knobby would surely grip even better in deep snow, but all Motocross tires are made of a harder compound, so they will sacrifice comfort as well as grip on ice.

I did insert studs in the C-186 after a while though, since I got to try a studded EUC on ice. They are absolutely the bee’s knee’s for worry  free winter riding!

I don’t think I’ve ridden on a single road or over a single pile of snow where the stability and the grip of the studded C-186 wouldn’t have surprised me positively.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

As always good thought full info mate. 

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

This is my second winter on the CST C-186, which looks and in my understanding also otherwise is identical to the Sherman knobby (Kenda Ksomething).

The knobs on the C-186 are soft, providing a better grip in the winter as well. The knobs are tall and reasonably spaced, so it works really well in snow.

A more spacious Motocross knobby would surely grip even better in deep snow, but all Motocross tires are made of a harder compound, so they will sacrifice comfort as well as grip on ice.

I did insert studs in the C-186 after a while though, since I got to try a studded EUC on ice. They are absolutely the bee’s knee’s for worry  free winter riding!

I don’t think I’ve ridden on a single road or over a single pile of snow where the stability and the grip of the studded C-186 wouldn’t have surprised me positively.

Let me quote you again: "Whats better than one Inmotion V11 ? It must be two Inmotion V11"  The Ice tire wheel and the Snow tire wheel . 
May I ask: 
VS is heavy (VS 35 kilo V11 is 27 kilo) and sadly Shermy has no suspension  dya think the suspension wheel gives better grip since the V11  is not jumping and therefore is in contanct with surface more of the time.  ? Can you take the studs out and use the tyre ? maybe glue it ? 

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Sounds good. Can you maybe give link to studs, this would prolly be good source for EU-purchases. You just push studs in or drill em in?

Also I assume the tire you mentioned should fit Sherman too..?

4 minutes ago, Tasku said:

Sounds good. Can you maybe give link to studs, this would prolly be good source for EU-purchases. You just push studs in or drill em in?

Inmotion v11 is 18x3"  use search in this group (google from outside works better) and rad about studding your tire - its a very Norwegian thing (kudos to Finland too)  MTBs do it a lot too, in Greenland a studed MTB is almost a life saver. 

I started with the street tire (kenda) and I was very disappointed when road condition was wet. Except that point, it was very good.

I finally mounted the CST-C186 (clone of the official offraod tire of the Sherman) and it's really a gamechanger in wet condition.

Notice that the way the wheel turns is very different when switching those tires: much more agile on low speed on the C-186, but i find the high speed turn was better on the street tire.

In winter condition, there is a huge difference, the C-186 is a beast, but i could try my H666 on summer (better autonomy, certainly better feeling at turning high speed).

If i had to choose only one, between stock street and knobby, would clearly be the knobby.

Edited by Matthieu Thegrey
  • Like 3

I just use the standard tyre and take it out in all weather. We haven’t had snow yet but it has been absolutely fine in really wet, deep mud so I see no reason why the standard tyre wouldn’t also work in snow. You might not do so well on ice. 

15 hours ago, Victor Galkin said:

Hello from snow-covered Moscow :-)

We use "sticky" winter tyres during winter period while riding msp/sherman here like:

1. DUNLOP D503L 2.75-14

2. CST CM507 70/100-14

3. IRC SN26 Urban Snow 80/90-14

4. IRC SN26 Urban Snow 100/90-14

The later one is untested.

Are they better than stock offroad tyre for winter conditions?

Victor said: "(We use "sticky" winter tyres during winter period while riding msp/sherman here like)"

13 minutes ago, Matthieu Thegrey said:

I believe he means friction tires.

Tire friction

(Featured snippet from the web)

Non-studded winter tyres are called friction tyres. Their grip characteristics are at their best on snowy roads. On icy roads, studded tyres have better grip, but they cause more road wear than friction tyres do. 
Edited by Tasku

5 hours ago, Tasku said:

Victor said: "(We use "sticky" winter tyres during winter period while riding msp/sherman here like)"

I believe he means friction tires.

Tire friction

(Featured snippet from the web)

Non-studded winter tyres are called friction tyres. Their grip characteristics are at their best on snowy roads. On icy roads, studded tyres have better grip, but they cause more road wear than friction tyres do. 

Exactly. Friction tyres, yes.

5 hours ago, Matthieu Thegrey said:

Generally, winter tires are softer that offroad ones in negative ambient temperature range and have a better grip in slush (as a result of abusing snow-melting reagents by local authorities), especially in turns. Said conditions are rather common in Moscow. On snow-covered ice(road/offroad) both types are performing bad according to our experience due to the absence of grip on ice. Pure hard/soft snow performance is generally comparable. 

Another problem with winter tires comes from their nature. You need to use rather low pressure, like 1.4 bar for 80 kg rider to have a adequate spot of contact with surface. This means that the tyre must be glued to the rim or it can slip and damage the tube (we have a number of such cases, even on 1.8 bar)

dya think the suspension wheel gives better grip since the V11  is not jumping and therefore is in contanct with surface more of the time.  ?

Absolutely, I’m certain of it.

Can you take the studs out and use the tyre ? maybe glue it ? 

I could, since I used screw-in studs. But for 160 studs... No thanks! I’d much rather buy another C-186 tire.

On 1/12/2021 at 4:12 PM, Tasku said:

Can you maybe give link to studs, this would prolly be good source for EU-purchases. You just push studs in or drill em in?

I used a screw-in type, so they are just screwed in with a 4mm socket on a cordless drill. Just pick how much you want to pay (make sure they are indeed 9mm screw-ins, Amazon also shows others):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=screw+anti+tire+studs+9mm&s=price-asc-rank&qid=1611267352&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank

The CST C-186 is identical to the standard off-road Kenda on the Sherman.

Edited by mrelwood

On 1/14/2021 at 6:50 PM, Victor Galkin said:

Hello from snow-covered Moscow :-)

We use "sticky" winter tyres during winter period while riding msp/sherman here like:

1. DUNLOP D503L 2.75-14

2. CST CM507 70/100-14

3. IRC SN26 Urban Snow 80/90-14

4. IRC SN26 Urban Snow 100/90-14

The later one is untested.

Before we got the blizzards, I rode through the autumn and winter with the IRC SN-26. While it is of course a large improvement to the regular C-1488 and even H-666, I must say that it is quite poor on mud compared to the CST C-186. Maybe the knobs are just not tall enough. Can't really say how they compare on snow though, since it's been a year since I rode the C-186 without studs.

The Dunlop D503 does look like a nice tire, too bad I didn't find it when I bought the IRC.

Remember that the scooter snow tires listed above all have many large slits in the knobs, making them a bad choice for studs. The C-186 has some slits as well, but the knobs are still more solid to hold the studs.

In my experience the stock knobby tire holds up pretty well in winter conditions. As long as there are no ice of course, then you really need some studs. I have fitted my stock knobby tire with studs that I screwed in. Around 100 studs where fitted. Took about a half hour to complete. The studs goes down into the tire 6 mm and sticks out 2 mm. It is a night and day difference. Now I can ride where it is to slippery to even walk. Highly recommend.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

This is now my second year riding PEVs all year. I currently have my Sherman s which I run the shinko 244 with 154 carbide studs in it and absolutely am in love with it. Snow, ice, slush I run right through it all with no issues. 

I just received my new 66lb Veteran Lynx and will probably end up going with the same setup if the 244 will fit on the Lynx. 

Only downside of it would be the cost of the studs which equates to a dollar a stud. The way I look at it is if I need to spend 154$ every year for new studs will damn sure be worth it opposed to a broken arm, wrist or even a hip now that I am getting up there in age.  

• Like 1