Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Last Saturday I had a flat tire with my Sherman and I had to change the inner Tube. I looked at the tire for puncture marks and I didn’t see any. This is the reason. Luckily I was only going 10-13mph on the sidewalk. I can just imagine what could have happen if I were on the street going 35mph. I reported the incident with Jason and he sent me a couple of inner tubes for free. What a stand up guy. 

7DD04EF4-E162-4F41-8A8D-9FD94E1E0EB8.jpeg

A749F794-415C-4997-8D2F-A64C0DA40013.jpeg

Edited by F.J. Abaya
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing it was merely a shit tube and led to failure? Doesnt appear that it was caused by the rim hole? Surely it wasnt from tire spin, or you've got some serious yank going on and that tire would show evidence. Good to hear that Jason has your back, even on something like a tube that was made by yet another party. See what happens when you patron a reputable dealer! Its MY business and YOURS that enables him to help others. If we get lucky and never find an issue, we can still feel proud that our purchase probably enabled the helping of someone else's.Woohoo, its all relative!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to always have the valve cap removed. Always. EUC's shouldn't be sold with valve caps, ever.

It's the valve cap that caused that flat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

You need to always have the valve cap removed. Always. EUC's shouldn't be sold with valve caps, ever.

It's the valve cap that caused that flat.

care to explain? I wouldnt think anyone should be riding an euc so flat as too worry about tube shift and cut of valve. Having no cap allows water and dirt in. Water that freezes has caused many a leak. Most my knowledge is with auto and motorcycle tho. I am honestly curious as to your reasoning.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

It's the valve cap that caused that flat.

Why?

The tube manufacturer specifies use of a plastic cap.
Properly-installed caps provide an additional pressure seal, and prevent contamination of the valve core.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

You need to always have the valve cap removed. Always. EUC's shouldn't be sold with valve caps, ever.

It's the valve cap that caused that flat.

I really doubt that is the cause. As long the valve is pointed in the right direction to avoid hitting any thing it should be fine. There is a reason why the valves are bend on tubes used in EUCs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Why?

The tube manufacturer specifies use of a plastic cap.
Properly-installed caps provide an additional pressure seal, and prevent contamination of the valve core.

I agree with most, but cheapo caps don't really increase sealing nor will they prevent it, should a core leak/fail. Some caps may, but definitely not these cheapos with no inner seal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just be careful when installing the new tube. You can use some talcum powder on the tube to help it seat properly. Also it helps if the valve is loose in the valve hole. That means that there isn't constant pressure on it in any direction. A slight misalignment deflated can become a lot of stress when the tire is inflated and in use. When mounting a tire don't insert it going around in a circle. You take the chance of getting an excess on on side of the valve. First insert the valve and then insert the opposite side of the tube second.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

care to explain? I wouldnt think anyone should be riding an euc so flat as too worry about tube shift and cut of valve. Having no cap allows water and dirt in. Water that freezes has caused many a leak. Most my knowledge is with auto and motorcycle tho. I am honestly curious as to your reasoning.

The fully inflated inner tube will have the valve extremely close to being fouled by the shell of the wheel. Add the valve cap, and then there is no clearance. These aren't EUC inner tubes but repurposed scooter tubes, and a hard turn will shove that valve right into the shell.

My observation is an uncapped valve with the valve head/face pointing opposite of the direction of wheel travel is least likely to foul.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LanghamP said:

The fully inflated inner tube will have the valve extremely close to being fouled by the shell of the wheel. Add the valve cap, and then there is no clearance. These aren't EUC inner tubes but repurposed scooter tubes, and a hard turn will shove that valve right into the shell.

My observation is an uncapped valve with the valve head/face pointing opposite of the direction of wheel travel is least likely to foul.

Gotcha. Makes perfect sense if theres so little clearance due to valve angle. Silly to think that an euc would fit a tube without having worry about tolerances so close as to endanger a typical bent valve. I shouldnt be surprised however. An easy solution to the valve clearance would be to put a spacer (teflon perhaps?) behind the rim on the valve itself, effectively making it protrude less. Too bad these dont come threaded for nuts, like motorcycle tube commonly do.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Gotcha. Makes perfect sense if theres so little clearance due to valve angle. Silly to think that an euc would fit a tube without having worry about tolerances so close as to endanger a typical bent valve. I shouldnt be surprised however. An easy solution to the valve clearance would be to put a spacer (teflon perhaps?) behind the rim on the valve itself, effectively making it protrude less. Too bad these dont come threaded for nuts, like motorcycle tube commonly do.

Bent EUC valve stems with caps are a particular pet peeve of mine. They are designed to fail regardless of the direction of wheel travel. That is, if you point the valve opposite of the wheel's travel then there's a good chance it could foul, but then leaving the cap on makes it foul in the opposite direction.

Argh! Stupid design.

Yeah, ask me how I know. Hint: it wasn't through genius imagination.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 8:22 AM, F.J. Abaya said:

Last Saturday I had a flat tire with my Sherman and I had to change the inner Tube. I looked at the tire for puncture marks and I didn’t see any. This is the reason. Luckily I was only going 10-13mph on the sidewalk. I can just imagine what could have happen if I were on the street going 35mph. I reported the incident with Jason and he sent me a couple of inner tubes for free. What a stand up guy. 

Spoiler

7DD04EF4-E162-4F41-8A8D-9FD94E1E0EB8.jpeg

A749F794-415C-4997-8D2F-A64C0DA40013.jpeg

 

i have exactly the same problem with two of my wheels, MTB forums call it 'tyre slipping on rim', i've loss count of the numbers of puncture i had :P Funny thing is non of my fellow riders have this problem. Tried all sort of remedies recommended, duct tape on the side of rim, talcum powder, change different brand tyre & inner tubes, you will gonna continue to have this problem, MTB forums concluded its the rim problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yuweng said:

i have exactly the same problem with two of my wheels, MTB forums call it 'tyre slipping on rim', i've loss count of the numbers of puncture i had :P Funny thing is non of my fellow riders have this problem. Tried all sort of remedies recommended, duct tape on the side of rim, talcum powder, change different brand tyre & inner tubes, you will gonna continue to have this problem, MTB forums concluded its the rim problem.

simple enough to check. Mark the sidewall and rim with grease pen or sharpie. If its tire slip, they wont line up.  Typically a little air pressure holds it. My motorcross bike had locks, but its a WHOLE lotta power on a whole lotta tread with zilcho air. We never tightened valve stem nuts to kinda help from tearing. Im merely speculating, but Its possible you could get a tire to slip on an euc rim, but you'd have to run low pressures and REALLY fling that beast with good tread. If it is happening, its probably only happening to the SERIOUS riders. Just a guess. Please mark your tire and let us know if its happening. MTB run low pressure and have serious brakes, but maybe an euc is more similar than assumed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 8:25 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

cheapo caps don't really increase sealing nor will they prevent it, should a core leak/fail

I think plastic caps seal nicely... perhaps it warrants a quick inspection, to confirm integrity of the seal inside.

81SXhCl6zRL._AC_SX679_.jpg

 

13 hours ago, LanghamP said:

leaving the cap on makes it foul

Ah. Gotcha. Snag hazard. Been there.

ACtC-3de7LYycc0w0wD0EWUTU1BnEDc5uKbWz6n8mUhrkTvwkHtjrfvXr0UMpwmfR2-4TGOWPFc3JQK-brB-4-pe-EcMe9479Py-NaQcF_tMlmexIv91VXqAPJQxz79ezmgarCZbcQ0lM44NJVeAhialHb7P9w=w956-h1274-no?authuser=0

My favorite compromise now is this type of 'slim' stainless cap:

ALL99151__27840.1610377842.jpg?c=2

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

I think plastic caps seal nicely... perhaps it warrants a quick inspection, to confirm integrity of the seal inside.

81SXhCl6zRL._AC_SX679_.jpg

 

Ah. Gotcha. Snag hazard. Been there.

ACtC-3de7LYycc0w0wD0EWUTU1BnEDc5uKbWz6n8mUhrkTvwkHtjrfvXr0UMpwmfR2-4TGOWPFc3JQK-brB-4-pe-EcMe9479Py-NaQcF_tMlmexIv91VXqAPJQxz79ezmgarCZbcQ0lM44NJVeAhialHb7P9w=w956-h1274-no?authuser=0

My favorite compromise now is this type of 'slim' stainless cap:

ALL99151__27840.1610377842.jpg?c=2

Those quality caps like you have pictured can help seal sometimes. I just looked at the caps that come with the euc's i have. Aside from the mten with a nice metal cap, the others are no where near quality and havent got a seal for shit in the bottom. Come to think of it, 2 of my euc tubes came with loose cores too. No big deal, same ole story, its just the cheapest tubes they could find.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

simple enough to check. Mark the sidewall and rim with grease pen or sharpie. If its tire slip, they wont line up.  Typically a little air pressure holds it. My motorcross bike had locks, but its a WHOLE lotta power on a whole lotta tread with zilcho air. We never tightened valve stem nuts to kinda help from tearing. Im merely speculating, but Its possible you could get a tire to slip on an euc rim, but you'd have to run low pressures and REALLY fling that beast with good tread. If it is happening, its probably only happening to the SERIOUS riders. Just a guess. Please mark your tire and let us know if its happening. MTB run low pressure and have serious brakes, but maybe an euc is more similar than assumed.

Haha, that's the first thing i did with a sharpie :lol: Tried with low/ high pressure, low is worse. Funny thing is that it won't slip with high pressure for a few rides then it happened again. Then i found out the more i carve, the more it will slip ! MTB forum's solution was to use rubber cement on the other side of the valve & seal the whole tyre to the side of the rim, some even recommends both sides ! Since i've upgraded to motorcross/ dirt bike tyre, forums there recommends bead/ rim lock & i wonder how the hell am i gonna do that on an EUC rim ! :P

Spoiler

1692716045_d1irtbiketyre.thumb.jpg.ecf0ba65550fd0bffe71b758b12fd4b7.jpg

Finally i went for the epoxy with fine sand solution & it never slips again :lol: Couldn't find that post, it mentioned this solution is actually done for cars, first they clean both sides of the rim, sprayed thick layers of silicone while wet, sprinkled fine sand on it, let it dry then install back tyre. i went for the extreme & did sand on the tyres too on both sides !

On my other wheel, it was an easy fix & i wonder why only non high performance EUCs uses steel rims, if not we can all go tubeless effortlessly !

Spoiler

1436435647_X3clone.jpg.5cdc881aa41abf0b669dd050ca926d57.jpg

Tubeless tyre & tubeless valve solves the tyre slip issues ! Photo stolen from here :lol:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, yuweng said:

Haha, that's the first thing i did with a sharpie :lol: Tried with low/ high pressure, low is worse. Funny thing is that it won't slip with high pressure for a few rides then it happened again. Then i found out the more i carve, the more it will slip ! MTB forum's solution was to use rubber cement on the other side of the valve & seal the whole tyre to the side of the rim, some even recommends both sides ! Since i've upgraded to motorcross/ dirt bike tyre, forums there recommends bead/ rim lock & i wonder how the hell am i gonna do that on an EUC rim ! :P

  Hide contents

1692716045_d1irtbiketyre.thumb.jpg.ecf0ba65550fd0bffe71b758b12fd4b7.jpg

Finally i went for the epoxy with fine sand solution & it never slips again :lol: Couldn't find that post, it mentioned this solution is actually done for cars, first they clean both sides of the rim, sprayed thick layers of silicone while wet, sprinkled fine sand on it, let it dry then install back tyre. i went for the extreme & did sand on the tyres too on both sides !

On my other wheel, it was an easy fix & i wonder why only non high performance EUCs uses steel rims, if not we can all go tubeless effortlessly !

  Reveal hidden contents

1436435647_X3clone.jpg.5cdc881aa41abf0b669dd050ca926d57.jpg

Tubeless tyre & tubeless valve solves the tyre slip issues ! Photo stolen from here :lol:

 

Holy crap, no wonder you're having tire slip. That aint an euc tire, thats a damn motocross knobby. We routinely put tire bead sealer on car and truck rims where the sidewall meets the rim. It was kind of a black glue type substance that dired into rubber. I could see how adding some course sand into that mix, would offer even more traction. Of course, I don't know about using it for tubeless. One could always go fancy and drill a hole and install a pair of tire locks I suppose, depends on how the rim is cutout. Tubeless will solve the valve 'issue', but it then may bring about the issue of losing air or busting a bead loose when run uber damn flat. Seems the epoxy/sand fix or rim lock would solve the problem. The problem isnt the valve, its the tire spinning on rim. Seems like the euc world is borrowing from mountain bikes and mountain bikes are borrowing from motorycles. Good fix, thanks for the post. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle... GI JOE!!!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm not a speed/ long range guy, tarmac doesn't offer much thrill anymore so i frequent MTB trails & with this tyre, it conquer it all. Fun to witness when MTB riders watch in disbelieve jaw dropping as i climb up hills with this little bastard with no effort at all, no matter wet or dry :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...