Where to buy Helmets, elbow pads, and anything else I’d need to remain safe while riding

1 hour ago, Patrick Corbett said:

Hello, thanks to amazing feedback from my last post I’ve decided on an electric Unicycle that’s for me and in my budget range now I need to figure out where to buy the protective gear so I can learn to ride this thing safely, any suggestions? And thank you.

Luckily you are in the USA. Gear is so personal on every level, you may want to try and patron stores with a generous return policy, somewhat close for shipping, and who's families you want to support. Since there is no real euc gear market, you will quickly find yourself patroning various locations. I personally abhor amazon and try to patron smaller 3rd party vendors. I'm also a sucker for USA made products. I buy my wheels from e-wheels and my gear directly from manufacturers when possible. At any rate, for specific gear reccomendations, theres threads and opinions galore. Being in NYC, I'm sure theres an avid local community that can give you insight. Just remember, cheap is exactly that....cheap!

Welcome to the club and grats on your first EUC. The disease claims yet another victim...

Edited by ShanesPlanet

If you’re thinking moto gear online I’ve had an excellent experience with motorcyclegear.com. Their close outs are reasonably priced, shipping super fast and they have a 30 day return policy.

FWIW, I bought skater gear through Demon first as it was fall when I started but as I got more crashes under my belt, started going faster and it got colder decided that moto gear was a solid investment. I hate rehab.

• Like 1

Dont forget to gear up with some good old 'common sense'. Avoiding accidents is much more fun than not. Too bad its not just that simple! For warmer summer riding, look into mesh motorcycle gear, but be careful about how some of its cut for a sport riding position. Flexmeter makes the best wrist guards, and you may find that d30 foam/armor is freaking awesome! 90% of protection gear is cheap crap that may barely help in a crash but definitely ruin comfort. If you're going to bother, try to get quality and most importantly, it has to fit. Im a comfort slut, if its not comfy, I wont wear it. Unworn gear only empties the pockets and doesnt protect much.

• Like 1

Yeah common sense is important for sure, I look forward to taking my time in empty fields and getting this down, I won’t be on the streets until I’ve practiced, maybe it’s just quarantine crazy of me to say but the experience of LEARNING to ride is also what it’s about for me and then the cherry on top for me is when I get good then the real fun begins, I think I’m gonna enjoy practicing riding as much as actual riding and it gives me something to look forward to until I can safely take vacations again, some people play video games but this will be my escape, even if it takes me a month I’m gonna enjoy the process of learning, I just bought a nice helmet on Amazon, looks very effective, I’ll be on to pads and guards next. 

• Like 2

I also enjoyed all the learning. I enjoyed the bumps, the bruises, thoe soreness, the out of control feeling, its ALL fun. Eventually the fun changes and becomes more serene. In that serenity you find both peace and excitement. Maybe its sinfull pride, but I damn sure feel good about myself and knowing I am riding ONE WHEEL. A sense of accomplishment and being part of a group of tards....  yeah buddy!

Be careful in fields, as they tend to hide holes and stuff that takes you right off the wheel. Coupled with the increased requirement for lean to keep going, softer fields are challenging. I learned in grass for 2-3 days at speeds so slowly I could swan dive off the front and not get hurt. If yuo can somewhat ride in an uneven field, you are more than ready to take it to the street/pavement. Its much easier, tho the cost of mistakes does skyrocket. Safely riding in congested traffic and pedestrian areas should take a while longer. My theory is that its okay to put yourself in jeopardy from lack of skill, but its somewhat irresponsible to take that danger to others. Take your time, baby steps, and youll probably last longer with less issue.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

For cheap gear, look no further than your local MTB/Skateboard retailers or even Amazon. For the next level up gear, look to your mx/motorcycle dealers, local or online.

If extreme heat isn't in the works, a kevlar/cordura mesh motorcycle jacket covers >1/2 of it. Then a set of decent knee guards (I recco Leatt dual axis personally), wrist guards & a helmet (again I recco FF) would basically be it.

Or if money is no object & you don't looking like a doofus🤪, do as richie rich @ShanesPlanet & custom order a full Aerostitch suit. But hey, better that than getting f*^kup when eatin' it👍

• Like 3