Death watch

On 1/9/2021 at 1:07 PM, mhpr262 said:

But seriously as long as there arent reckless idiots (looking at you NYC riders) who cause some really high profile accident like breaking some kid's legs or killing some granny I doubt politicians will stir themselves anytime soon. Those vehicles are just too niche and too rare and they are bound to remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Nyc is not gonna get euc banned (so no need to insult nyc riders), however euc fires will if gotway keeps up like this. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Nyc is not gonna get euc banned (so no need to insult nyc riders), however euc fires will if gotway keeps up like this. 

Agree 100%. I wrote in the EUC fire thread that fires is what caused hoverboards to get banned from multiple places/banned from imports..etc and I really hope Gotway doesn’t ruin it for the rest of us this way.

High speed scooters are way bigger risk to public safety. Any first timer can get on a 100km/h scooter and cause a major accident. EUC first timer maybe get 10ft before eating it.

To ride like the NYC guys requires great skill and some recklessness but a scooter only requires recklessness (or just stupidity). Also EUC requires new skills at each increasing speed segment or you wobble yourself to death, so there is constant feedback to remind yourself of your ability level. A scooter you can hold the trigger down until it’s too late - way more dangerous IMO.

• Like 2

So if I can comment on the original thread :D. Virginia makes no reference to EUCs specifically, but does mention personal mobility devices. They are limited to 25mph and can use sidewalks or ride near the shoulder of a roadway. Honestly I consider the EUC more of a moped. At least that would be the case based on the operating speeds listed in the laws. I would be willing to pay the small moped registration fee just to know I was covered. Currently, I just wonder if today is the day a cop who wants to make a point/example outta me :(. With that said, my local police force seems to always greet me with a smile and a hand wave. But I also yield to traffic and ride slow on the sidewalks. 

Edited by Zach N

• 3 weeks later...

Not to pick on NY as I'm sure other big cities have riders that do this as well, but I see more vids coming out of NY featuring these points.

I don't think it is OK to ride 30MPH + on a bike path with walkers and families out weaving in and out.  I think this has the biggest risk of really getting some unwanted attention as pedestrians can be seriously hurt in a place where they should be safe.

I tend to be more lenient\understanding on aggressive road behavior just because I see delivery bikers in NY and they are just as aggressive if not more.  Also if an EUC and car hit, EUC rider will pay the price in terms of bodily harm, unless that rider hits a Lamborghini or the like, then they may wish they just got bodily harm.

I remember when I lived in LA for a stint, to merge on the highway you have to get possessed by the devil first.  You have to switch that asshole switch to on.  I'm sure riding bikes and EUCs on the roads in NY is the same.

I hope EUCs get positive protections and influences.

On 1/9/2021 at 1:07 PM, mhpr262 said:

Riding an EUC on public roads is already a full blown felony where I live, with possible prison time. As they are not road legal they cannot be insured, and riding/driving a motor vehicle without insurance is a big no no here.  Soooo ....

But seriously as long as there arent reckless idiots (looking at you NYC riders) who cause some really high profile accident like breaking some kid's legs or killing some granny I doubt politicians will stir themselves anytime soon. Those vehicles are just too niche and too rare and they are bound to remain that way for the foreseeable future.

...and they will record the accident, cuz livestreaming when you are on a crowded sidewalk doing 35MPH is so KEWL!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/13/2021 at 9:31 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

I am definitely not a cop and have no horse in the race of what laws are fair or unfair. I merely find it interesting that people are violating current laws so visibly, as they somehow think that if the law is 'unfair', it doesnt apply. Forgive me, I grew up in a house with a drunken lawyer. Not much a father, but between him and my own checkered past, I'm fairly versed in being punished for things that were unfair. Oddly enough, some of those things are now considered acceptable. If 'unfair' and if my 'opinion' had anything to do with law, I'm owed at least 2 yrs of my youth :)

So this is where all that rage comes from...

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2021 at 9:48 AM, Michael Robert Ryan said:

How long before the government, especially here in the US, decides we are having way too much fun and decides to ban our wheels, or at least tax and regulate them so onerously that many of us give up?

EUCs are already illegal where I live [BC Canada] so the Gov't doesn't need to ban them. The difference between now [cops ignoring EUCs mosty] to a bad future [cops actively looking to ticket and confiscate EUC riders mostly comes down to how much bad press EUC riders generate. If we seriously hurt or kill some kids the shit will hit the fan. If we just cruise around at reasonable speeds, fit in to other traffic and are courteous we'll probably continue to be ignored. 

9 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

You would think that B.C. of any province, would be encouraging PEV use. 🙄

They are...e-bikes are legal and we have a lot of bicycle infrastructure. There are e-scooter test programs going on right now and I expect those will get adopted fully. I suspect e-skateboards will eventually get legalized. That doesn't help EUC riders or One Wheelers. The whole self-balancing/lack of brakes/high potential speeds with no speed restrictors aspect will make it hard if not impossible for those devices to go from illegal, but ignored to legal and regulated. 

That said BC cops are not going out of their way to take EUCs off the road and the BC Gov't is ignoring them as well. I think that's as good as it gets so we should just keep a low profile and fly under the radar. If we make a big stink via protests or accidents the most likely result will be higher enforcement action.

• Like 2