Sherman Charger Issue ?

Adel

47 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Maybe? Haven’t heard of that discrepancy but that doesn’t mean anything. I guess if the Sherman display says 100.8, then I’d believe that but do expect that EUC World displays exactly what the Sherman is telling it... I would be very surprised if the app changed that number. Does the Sherman agree with EUC World?

It’s important to know the true end-of-charge voltage because not being able to charge to 100.8ish can be a sign of a worn or in your case, a defective pack.

Okay, I guess I need to figure out how to get to the voltage on the Sherman display, I'm not seeing it when I scroll thru.  

5 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

You might ping your seller on this, seems like an easy warranty item. At least get them spun up, and they might be able to help troubleshoot.

Yeah, I've sent an email, I'm getting nowhere, I've done exactly what I'm seeing Marty do in his video(holding down the "ok" button for several seconds) to get to the advanced settings to check the voltage on the wheel and it takes me to some strange text that I can't make out.

20 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Ugh. I have to tap out, I’ve no Sherman so can’t even guess at the menu. Hopefully somebody with real knowledge can weigh in?

I've reached out to eWheels, they said that they've seen this a few times and that it's possibly a discrepancy between the displayed reading and actual voltage and to get an accurate reading, I need to measure voltage at the battery packs, I guess I'll do that to get to the bottom of it.  I would however like to find out how to access the advanced settings screen. 

Edit: I did access the advanced settings and it's reading 98.5 volts.

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 1

I had a similar situation with my mcm5. It would ready 82.7 when the charger cut off in EUC world. Measured the packs and they readying 84.0 amd change, withing the tolerance of my mid prices multi meter. The board just reports a lower reading on that wheel. 

My charger outputs 84.2 like it should (eWheels branded adjustable charger). 

Measure the packs to make sure, 27 miles is a lot of miles though :P

My new RS reads spot on in the app, 100.8 and matches the pack reading on the multi meter (100.7 on the meter).

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2021 at 5:23 PM, Adel said:

I notice that the charger makes periodic clicking noise, also accompanied by corresponding LED flicker as you can see from the clip below. I also noticed the same behavior from a replacement charger. If you have a Sherman, does your charger behave the same way, is this normal or sign of a problem with the charger or the wheel ?

My brand new charger what come with my sherman do same behavior. Sherman  is created/assembled/packed 28/1/2021 motor date is 13/1/2021. Scary eucworld report 100,7/8 V after green led and charger autoshudown. 

Things i try/test: Plug standard gotway msp 100,8V 3A charger turn to green instant.

Plug smart (switchable) charger display show 101V and does nothing. https://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80603321/Products/Charger_adj

Plug chargeman into sherman and chargeman not ON(stay off state). On gotway chargeman always show voltage when conect to conectors(propably sherman have diferent behavior). https://eunicycles.eu/en/home/200-chargeman-gotway-100v.html 

Both of mine also did this cyclic sound, as if the charge was pulsating and the sound came from whine in the components, alternation the fan power maybe. I have heard such sound from other powerful chargers, but mostly when going from CC to CV phase..

Edited by null
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

Plug chargeman into sherman and chargeman not ON(stay off state). On gotway chargeman always show voltage when conect to conectors(propably sherman have diferent behavior). https://eunicycles.eu/en/home/200-chargeman-gotway-100v.html

Interesting, this would make sense on KS wheels where the charge port doesn't have tension on, but the Sherman has. Maybe limited current?

This clicking sound is caused by motherboard, i do my own charger for veteran and it have no clicking sound BUT power on charger drops same as clicking sound on original chrger.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Just got my new sherman, doing the same thing, can any other veteran owners comment if this is normal? 

https://streamable.com/9f5mga

This is normal is ballancing stage. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/22/2023 at 1:45 PM, visionarek said:

You’re all forgetting all meters have uncertainty. Cheap multimeters up to 0.5 percent. 101.3 could be 100.8

+/- 0.5% is not that bad in 400V DC range, cheap ones can certainly be worse :) Fluke 88V has ±(0.4 % + 2) and thats not their cheapest meter.

My Velleman DVM345DI has 0.1V resolution (400V DC range) and +/-0.5% +/- 3 digits. The digits part made me confused. I guess at 100.X volts it means

+/-0.5 V (0.5%) +/- 0.3V (3 digits at the lowest 100mV part) so worst case +/- 0.8V.

my sherman was adjusted -0.5V from display.

After that both charger display, volt meter and Sherman display showed allmost the same value (volt meter on power supply shows +0.1V vs Sherman and volt meter)

so during charge cycle it showed:

charger 93

volt meter 92.9

sherman 92.9

One ODD thing though. Volt meter showed short spikes where voltage went to 93.7V as if the charging stopped shortly (as if Sherman battery load cut off by main board shortly), really strange. Not sure if thats because i chose to charge at 2A (can chose up to 8A) but really strange?

any ideas ?

edit: tested 6A and 8A and both show same spiking.

Also at 6A and 8A the charger voltage deviates from sherman and volt meter (about 0.4V), im guessing due voltage drop in cables to wheel as power increases.

Edited by Boogieman

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

Volt meter showed short spikes where voltage went to 93.7V as if the charging stopped shortly (as if Sherman battery load cut off by main board shortly), really strange

Seems that the sherman cuts off charging in-between for whatever reasons. I remember reports that sophisticated li ion chargers which stop once charging current drops below some threshold do not work with sherman veteran wheels.

On 5/28/2023 at 12:16 AM, Chriull said:

Seems that the sherman cuts off charging in-between for whatever reasons. I remember reports that sophisticated li ion chargers which stop once charging current drops below some threshold do not work with sherman veteran wheels.

Ok. This charger is pretty standard. Jia rui b900-100 so similar to the standard except voltage display and can set 80/90/100% charge (80% does not work though as it stops at 90% there as well) and can chose amps 2 6 8 A.

When charging was done at 2A display is still on but voltage and amps drops very low, i guess its some leakage from wheel.

After 4 or so hours at that low reading when disconnecting and measure voltage its at 100.5V so its seems to charge well.

Im just worried that those spikes happen also when close to full, so that it goes to 102V or something like that.

Spikes are so short that only multimeter register them. Voltage display on charger stays at same voltage, probably just lower update rate on that one.

Edited by Boogieman