Calling all tall riders....

HighEndScooters

Hi guys, 

As my first post for the year let me start off by stating Happy New year to you all.  I have been riding my Gotway Tesla for 1.5 half months i am 6ft2 and find it difficult to clench the unicyle between my knees as they are far higher than the unit itself.  This comes to the forefront when braking harshly I have heard in video to grab the unit hard between legs before throwing bodyweight backwards.  I break effectively cant say that braking is a concern yes there room for improvement but at present i am happy with my braking from 5mph to 25mph.  However im wanting to know if my failure to lock the unit between my knees makes my breaking less effective?

I am still learning and making improvements almost daily but this area seems to be slower to make improvements so I thought I write this post to see how other tall riders experience riding euc?

There are a few things in life where there is a big difference between being short and tall like dancing for example shorter people have a lower centre of gravity so in my head I imagine braking to work in their favour.  This is just the rationale I have in my head but its lockdown here in the UK and I am learning and ride alone so come on here to bounce my thoughts with fellow riders.

Thanks in advance for all those that have read this post and take time out to write a response.

Andrew 

I'm 6'3" so maybe that's tall? There's a few solutions.

1)strength in your legs to grab with what parts DO contact the wheel.

2)Some form of cover or material that consists of texture to help with grabbing.

3)Power pads to assist in hard braking/accel, even if they contact as low as the shin.

4)Riding close to the wheel so the ankles can grab (THIS is how I also ride my larger wheels and stay loose in the knees)

5) Increasing pedal angle to force more pressure into the wheel

6)Get a bigger wheel.

7)Buy an mten... just cuz everyone should have one.  (okay so its not a solution, but its still true)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

@shanesPlanet

First and foremost thank you for your detailed response to my question.  6ft3 is tall I really determine tall as anybody over 6ft personally.

1.  what's the best way to strengthen legs I've been of the opinion that my legs will get stronger the more i ride, the funny thing is I squat 170kg so its funny that I even need to strengthen my legs lol 

2)Some form of cover or material that consists of texture to help with grabbing.  like foam or yoga mats ?

3)Power pads to assist in hard braking/accel, even if they contact as low as the shin.

I thought these power pads were to assist jumping only.

4)Riding close to the wheel so the ankles can grab (THIS is how I also ride my larger wheels and stay loose in the knees)  This i will practice moving forward

5) Increasing pedal angle to force more pressure into the wheel.  I cannot change pedal angle on the tesla but i know this can be done on other euc

6)Get a bigger wheel.  This is something I have thought about I think once i get about 6 months experience on my Tesla I will upgrade to the Gotway Nikola there will be a new Nikola out next year.

7)Buy an mten just cuz everyone should have one.  (okay so its not a solution, but its still true)  It is funny that you mention this because I now sell electric unicycles here in the UK and i have flirted with the idea of getting an mten as they have such a loyal fan base you comment has now intrigued me more.

• Like 1

6 2'here.I,m not sure that grabbing ur wheel with your legs helps with the breaking.Try leaning back and sitting /squatting for some hard braking/emergency breaking.Body positioning is the key to breaking hard!.Going from a  smaller wheel to a bigger wheel means going faster with more weight so breaking is not going to feel as nimble.Looks like getting out on the basketball court for a few hard braking sessions to improve ur skills.

• Like 3

The sitting position is excellent. You could also try “pushing the wheel ahead of you”, no squeezing of the wheel needed. Ya, what does that mean? I can’t describe the movements but if the intention is in my mind it sort of happens.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I'm 6'3" so maybe that's tall? There's a few solutions.

Really cool list of suggestions!!

8 hours ago, Hecticc said:

Power pads do more than help in jumping. I don't do jumps (yet?), and I hesitated when getting the Sherman in installing the ones that came with it. At first they felt weird and in the way of my legs, but I adjusted pretty quickly. They especially help in accelerating and braking (with the two vertical "bars" of padding), and that also helps to feel more locked-in to the wheel. For me they are a physical reminder to bend the knees forward by the same amount of flex on each side. Sometimes I would ride by "resting" the knees on the forward padding, and that gave me a sense of balance. It's easier to experience than to describe.

Plus when getting on the wheel it would help in placing the 2nd foot correctly, I would "find" the brake pad with that leg without looking down.

the funny thing is I squat 170kg so its funny that I even need to strengthen my legs lol 

Ever had the experience of using inline skates after a long break? Your butt-cheeks hurt all over the next day, despite whichever else activity you practice.
At first the Sherman felt like that to me: I had pain all over the legs and discovered some muscles I didn't know I had 😉
You're not using the exact same muscles when squatting as when handling your wheel, not just in the legs (i.e. quads) but the core as well. Riding is a full body experience, and that's part of what's so much fun about it.

Some form of cover or material that consists of texture to help with grabbing.  like foam or yoga mats

Foam or yoga mats can be made into "Kuji Pads".
Otherwise a good cover is the roll.nz one, apparantly. It protects the wheel when dropped and provides more friction to act a bit like power pads without being as thick.

Oh, and forgot to say I'm 6 feet tall. 

Edited by Patrick Robert
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Hecticc said:

@shanesPlanet

First and foremost thank you for your detailed response to my question.  6ft3 is tall I really determine tall as anybody over 6ft personally.

1.  what's the best way to strengthen legs I've been of the opinion that my legs will get stronger the more i ride, the funny thing is I squat 170kg so its funny that I even need to strengthen my legs lol 

2)Some form of cover or material that consists of texture to help with grabbing.  like foam or yoga mats ?

4)Riding close to the wheel so the ankles can grab (THIS is how I also ride my larger wheels and stay loose in the knees)  This i will practice moving forward

5) Increasing pedal angle to force more pressure into the wheel.  I cannot change pedal angle on the tesla but i know this can be done on other euc

6)Get a bigger wheel.  This is something I have thought about I think once i get about 6 months experience on my Tesla I will upgrade to the Gotway Nikola there will be a new Nikola out next year.

7)Buy an mten just cuz everyone should have one.  (okay so its not a solution, but its still true)  It is funny that you mention this because I now sell electric unicycles here in the UK and i have flirted with the idea of getting an mten as they have such a loyal fan base you comment has now intrigued me more.

1) strengthen them by riding, thats my favorite and best. As others mentioned, each activity uses different muscle groups in different ways. Having already strong legs and ankles is definitely a benefit, but nothing will condition you as precisiely as riding does. Youll find that the more you ride, the mre easily you control it with seemingly less user input. Its not less input, but your body begins to learn to more efficiently utilize the exact postures for getting result most easily.

2)I have a RollNZ cover and it is perfection. I looked and they sadly dont make one for yours. Yes, perhaps some form of yoga mat or foam or epdm or just about anything, could help, vs a slick gloss plastic surface.

3)I don't jump much at all. I call mine 'power pads', but i really dont know the jargon and what dfines what. Having pads on the front and back extremes of where you ride, gives you both a reference point and a place to lean against. It has little to do with jumping and more to do with securing you into a certain leg angle, so you can use the leverage to enable you put more weight into the same lean angle. I kind of think that power pads can also learn you poor riding and hamper your muslce development. I try not to rely on them for MOST of my riding, as I'd like to maintain the ability to ride wel w/o them as well.

4)I grab with the ankles during off road and excessive bumps as well. Opinions vary and Im one that moves around on my plates a bit. I dont ride tightly on the ankles at my lazy/basic posture, but when I want to accelerate or am hitting uneven terrain, I find a simple tiny turn in of the heels, gives me a little more security and grip on the wheel. Grabbing with the ankles/heels yet staying loose around the calves and knees is how I exit most 'high' speed turns.

I like to put a TON of force into stopping sometimes. I find it fun to do. On both my larger wheels, Im like a windshield wiper on them, where my legs contact the wheel. On my 18L, I slide my legs back to the very rear end of the wheel and sit. Its akin to a power slide on a skateboard. I have neoprene on the wheel, but i am quite a bit behind the factory pads during 'shit' stops. I do grab with every bit of leg and ankle I have, and tend to have moved back a hair on my plates. Of course you can stop more loosely, but grabbing that wheel helps. Just be careful of wobble and be ready to free the grip up at any time. On the sherman, I found the sotck pads to be too narrow to allow me as much movement as  I like. My custom pads palcement indicates that Im leverging to the very back corner of the wheel before hitting pad where I llike it. Long story short.. I find that having leverage points and grip on the wheel can help. Ankles, calves, legs, I even grab my trolleys while i ride to get some yank (bad idea btw).

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

the tesla is a tall wheel... the vast majority of other wheels are much shorter.. you'll get used to it, the wheel shouldn't be clenched between your knees anyways that's the worst way to control it.. most people seem to prefer the wheel doesn't contact their legs at all or have padding lower down their legs... you're new so you just have to get used to it... I'm not tall at 5'10 but I highly prefer the feel of shorter or smaller wheels like the ks14/16, acm2 over taller wheels like the v8/10, tesla etc.. you absolutely don't need to clench the wheel to brake hard it's just a beginner tensing up thing you will loosen up your stance over time everyone does

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tawpie said:

The sitting position is excellent. You could also try “pushing the wheel ahead of you”, no squeezing of the wheel needed. Ya, what does that mean? I can’t describe the movements but if the intention is in my mind it sort of happens.

Thanks for this if I understand correctly you are saying to push the wheel further forward and lean back to enhance the breaking performance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Patrick Robert said:

Really cool list of suggestions!!

Power pads do more than help in jumping. I don't do jumps (yet?), and I hesitated when getting the Sherman in installing the ones that came with it. At first they felt weird and in the way of my legs, but I adjusted pretty quickly. They especially help in accelerating and braking (with the two vertical "bars" of padding), and that also helps to feel more locked-in to the wheel. For me they are a physical reminder to bend the knees forward by the same amount of flex on each side. Sometimes I would ride by "resting" the knees on the forward padding, and that gave me a sense of balance. It's easier to experience than to describe.

Plus when getting on the wheel it would help in placing the 2nd foot correctly, I would "find" the brake pad with that leg without looking down.

Ever had the experience of using inline skates after a long break? Your butt-cheeks hurt all over the next day, despite whichever else activity you practice.
At first the Sherman felt like that to me: I had pain all over the legs and discovered some muscles I didn't know I had 😉
You're not using the exact same muscles when squatting as when handling your wheel, not just in the legs (i.e. quads) but the core as well. Riding is a full body experience, and that's part of what's so much fun about it.

Foam or yoga mats can be made into "Kuji Pads".
Otherwise a good cover is the roll.nz one, apparantly. It protects the wheel when dropped and provides more friction to act a bit like power pads without being as thick.

Oh, and forgot to say I'm 6 feet tall. 

Ok I never learnt to skate so i cannot relate but I do understand the concept that you are talking about it sounds like i will strengthen my muscles over time with more riding I understand now that the activity of riding a euc will build muscles that i have not previously used.  I know about the Roll nz case ironically i have contacted them and will be offering to our customer base here in the uk.  They do provide a case for the Tesla so i will look to get one for myself to help build friction as i have nothing on mines its bare at present.

I will also look in to pads as I've never looked at them previously I must say my initial thought was i don't like the idea of my legs being rigid in a position but will investigate further upon reading your response.

I notice although you guys are all tall nobody has commented that being tall makes a difference to riding so that settles that in my head this is a perfect example of how a forum can be a support network and educate each other through our experience.

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

1) strengthen them by riding, thats my favorite and best. As others mentioned, each activity uses different muscle groups in different ways. Having already strong legs and ankles is definitely a benefit, but nothing will condition you as precisiely as riding does. Youll find that the more you ride, the mre easily you control it with seemingly less user input. Its not less input, but your body begins to learn to more efficiently utilize the exact postures for getting result most easily.

2)I have a RollNZ cover and it is perfection. I looked and they sadly dont make one for yours. Yes, perhaps some form of yoga mat or foam or epdm or just about anything, could help, vs a slick gloss plastic surface.

3)I don't jump much at all. I call mine 'power pads', but i really dont know the jargon and what dfines what. Having pads on the front and back extremes of where you ride, gives you both a reference point and a place to lean against. It has little to do with jumping and more to do with securing you into a certain leg angle, so you can use the leverage to enable you put more weight into the same lean angle. I kind of think that power pads can also learn you poor riding and hamper your muslce development. I try not to rely on them for MOST of my riding, as I'd like to maintain the ability to ride wel w/o them as well.

4)I grab with the ankles during off road and excessive bumps as well. Opinions vary and Im one that moves around on my plates a bit. I dont ride tightly on the ankles at my lazy/basic posture, but when I want to accelerate or am hitting uneven terrain, I find a simple tiny turn in of the heels, gives me a little more security and grip on the wheel. Grabbing with the ankles/heels yet staying loose around the calves and knees is how I exit most 'high' speed turns.

I like to put a TON of force into stopping sometimes. I find it fun to do. On both my larger wheels, Im like a windshield wiper on them, where my legs contact the wheel. On my 18L, I slide my legs back to the very rear end of the wheel and sit. Its akin to a power slide on a skateboard. I have neoprene on the wheel, but i am quite a bit behind the factory pads during 'shit' stops. I do grab with every bit of leg and ankle I have, and tend to have moved back a hair on my plates. Of course you can stop more loosely, but grabbing that wheel helps. Just be careful of wobble and be ready to free the grip up at any time. On the sherman, I found the sotck pads to be too narrow to allow me as much movement as  I like. My custom pads palcement indicates that Im leverging to the very back corner of the wheel before hitting pad where I llike it. Long story short.. I find that having leverage points and grip on the wheel can help. Ankles, calves, legs, I even grab my trolleys while i ride to get some yank (bad idea btw).

1. You my friend are a star for the length and detailed response you have contributed to this topic thank you very much.  

As a general rule how much riding would you say it may take a rider to strengthen the legs muscles ie 100, 300 , 500, 1000 miles?  I guess once muscles get stronger this will also improve my ability to brake ?

2.  There is a roll case for the Tesla picture attached so I will get one for myself shortly

3. I think once I have learnt to ride better I will seriously look at these after understanding your comments I would not want to hamper muscle strength early in my riding career.

4. I must admit I don't know if I'm using my ankles when I do my drills today I will consciously try to enhance the usage of my ankles to improve my breaking and report back my findings shortly.  It also sounds like this can be used for riding up and down pavements so i will try that later this month.  Can you clarify what you mean by grab my trolleys please.

Just to be clear all the input that has been put forward I have read and taken note  with the intention to implement in my practice sessions over the next few weeks I am in no rush to become a master of riding so don't think I am just wanting tips and riding experience of others as i don't have that at present with all the lockdown measures in the UK at present so great to be able to see so many of you make effort to provide detailed responses.

euc-bodyguard-for-gotway-tesla.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rywokast said:

the tesla is a tall wheel... the vast majority of other wheels are much shorter.. you'll get used to it, the wheel shouldn't be clenched between your knees anyways that's the worst way to control it.. most people seem to prefer the wheel doesn't contact their legs at all or have padding lower down their legs... you're new so you just have to get used to it... I'm not tall at 5'10 but I highly prefer the feel of shorter or smaller wheels like the ks14/16, acm2 over taller wheels like the v8/10, tesla etc.. you absolutely don't need to clench the wheel to brake hard it's just a beginner tensing up thing you will loosen up your stance over time everyone does

Thank you for this you have reinforced to me that I must practice practice practice and I will see the improvement in the areas of concern.  I never mentioned in my original post that when I brake harshly the unit wobbles a bit is that normal ?or is  poor stance? or lack of control on my behalf ?or is it simply me expecting the wheel to break in a straight line like a scooter or bike?

Once again thank you all who have made an effort to contribute to this thread upon reading responses now I understand this is simply a learning to ride thread rather than a thread that relates to tall riders only.  You see the learning continues as a result of this thread.

By the way I sat and looked over your signature is crazy you must be opinionated on every wheel on the market you are a G 

• Like 1

@Hecticc First and most important thing about wobbles: the stiffer you are, the more likely you are to get them. Quick braking is generally the most wobble-risky part of ride (probably because of how the rider braces and gets stiff). And if you encounter wobbles during a normal ride, braking will almost always make them worse. The general rules about wobbles apply: Ride relaxed, not stiff-as-a-board. Use your knees as springs. Have a light skateboard (asymmetrical) stance with one foot more in the front and the other in the back.

When the wobbles occurs, try to make turn or start carving like on ski. The turn can have an infinite diameter, but it is important to move your weight to a side and introduce a different force vector to break out of the oscillations. Do not try to fight it by clenching your muscles, that will make it worse. And braking... braking will make it worse, but also lowers the speed. So, it might make sense to brake, but expect that you end up on your bum when you do it and plan accordingly where the wheel will jump. 

Also, I found this video about wobbles, looks like a good idea to watch it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hecticc said:

push the wheel further forward

Just push the wheel forward with your legs, maybe add a tiny bit more lean but I keep the same overall stance (knees might get a bit more bent but body lean angle doesn’t change much at all). It’s not an emergency braking maneuver, more of a quicker stop than just leaning. Emergency braking is the sitting position—which for me tends to cause wobbles so I plan way ahead as much as possible.

Being a learner, I always practice braking (and turning) at the start of each ride so my brain doesn’t lock up should something unexpected arise.

oh, I’m only tall when compared with 6 year olds🙇🏻. But the general techniques are the same for any height because of the dynamics of the wheel.

Edited by Tawpie

9 hours ago, Hecticc said:

1. You my friend are a star for the length and detailed response you have contributed to this topic thank you very much.  

As a general rule how much riding would you say it may take a rider to strengthen the legs muscles ie 100, 300 , 500, 1000 miles?  I guess once muscles get stronger this will also improve my ability to brake ?

2.  There is a roll case for the Tesla picture attached so I will get one for myself shortly

3. I think once I have learnt to ride better I will seriously look at these after understanding your comments I would not want to hamper muscle strength early in my riding career.

4. I must admit I don't know if I'm using my ankles when I do my drills today I will consciously try to enhance the usage of my ankles to improve my breaking and report back my findings shortly.  It also sounds like this can be used for riding up and down pavements so i will try that later this month.  Can you clarify what you mean by grab my trolleys please.

Just to be clear all the input that has been put forward I have read and taken note  with the intention to implement in my practice sessions over the next few weeks I am in no rush to become a master of riding so don't think I am just wanting tips and riding experience of others as i don't have that at present with all the lockdown measures in the UK at present so great to be able to see so many of you make effort to provide detailed responses.

euc-bodyguard-for-gotway-tesla.jpg

oh too cool! My apologies, i didnt see they had a rollNZ for yours. I would definitely snag one, as its a good way to get more traction when needed and it will protect your wheel. AND they look cool.

I cant say how long untli you condition for it. It took me about 2-3 weeks with 30 minutes a day of riding. The colors of my inner legs stayed yellow much longer than they hurt from the pressure.

Don't misunderstand my intent when I grab with my ankles. As most people have stated, remaining loose on the wheel is your best posture. I simply turn the heels in a tad when Im accellerating and need a little grip, or when Im braking and need some grip. Gripping while doing near tiltback thru a turn while maintaining speed up hill, is also almost a neccessity for me. Holding onto the wheel too tightly for normal posture, WILL increase your likelihood of wobbles. Its also good information to know that when you wobble, sometimes braking can make it worse. Wobbles go away as you get better, it just happens. It is a good idea to be ready for wobbles and try to lightly shift your weight. Try different things and eventually you will find what works for you. I have founnd that my tiny power pads help with controlling my larger wheel w/o as much concern about gripping it too tightly. Even so, no power pads on my daily rider and Im constantly changing foot posistion. You would be amazed at how much a couple cm can make a difference. As for hard braking and accel while staying loose. Im only 130lbs which only allots so much weight on my toes before my heel is off the pads. Grabbing with the ankles and legs is how I stay off my toes and still ask more from the wheel than my puny body can lean from it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Zopper said:

@Hecticc First and most important thing about wobbles: the stiffer you are, the more likely you are to get them. Quick braking is generally the most wobble-risky part of ride (probably because of how the rider braces and gets stiff). And if you encounter wobbles during a normal ride, braking will almost always make them worse. The general rules about wobbles apply: Ride relaxed, not stiff-as-a-board. Use your knees as springs. Have a light skateboard (asymmetrical) stance with one foot more in the front and the other in the back.

When the wobbles occurs, try to make turn or start carving like on ski. The turn can have an infinite diameter, but it is important to move your weight to a side and introduce a different force vector to break out of the oscillations. Do not try to fight it by clenching your muscles, that will make it worse. And braking... braking will make it worse, but also lowers the speed. So, it might make sense to brake, but expect that you end up on your bum when you do it and plan accordingly where the wheel will jump. 

Also, I found this video about wobbles, looks like a good idea to watch it. 

This response is great and I fully imagined the whole process as it happened.  I am based in the UK at present we are dealing with minus 1-2 degrees so me out practicing in the cold I believe is already against muscle relaxation.  I have seen watched  this video and although Ms V clearly know what she is talking about the content could not be understood in 1 sitting so i will see myself watching that video another 2 times at least to get a better understanding.  Shout outs to Ms V for doing the video if she is on this forum to see the shout out lol 

I just started on practicing my carving this week as it goes they are not pronounced but hearing what you have said about coming out of a wobble has motivated me more to practice carving next week even more anybody know a great video addressing how to carve please share it will be appreciated.

You guys have dropped some gems on me today that will most certainly be implemented and improve my riding moving forward I cant thank you guys enough for sharing your knowledge with me and the many readers who have read this post.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Just push the wheel forward with your legs, maybe add a tiny bit more lean but I keep the same overall stance (knees might get a bit more bent but body lean angle doesn’t change much at all). It’s not an emergency braking maneuver, more of a quicker stop than just leaning. Emergency braking is the sitting position—which for me tends to cause wobbles so I plan way ahead as much as possible.

Being a learner, I always practice braking (and turning) at the start of each ride so my brain doesn’t lock up should something unexpected arise.

oh, I’m only tall when compared with 6 year olds🙇🏻. But the general techniques are the same for any height because of the dynamics of the wheel.

I will be implementing what you have said into my drills tomorrow thank you for this I particularly like the tip about breaking and turning before you go for a ride make so much sense to me.

As long as you are tall to somebody, you are tall and that's all that counts you guys have educated me that the height does not change the riding technique 

1 hour ago, Hecticc said:

the height does not change the riding technique 

But it does.
Practice lowering your head in a millisecond so you can avoid low branches that will only be visible at the last minute! 😱😁

Edited by Patrick Robert
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Patrick Robert said:

But it does.
Practice lowering your head in a millisecond so you can avoid low branches that will only be visible at the last minute! 😱😁

The rain also hits us first and the air is thinner...:thumbup:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Hecticc said:

This response is great and I fully imagined the whole process as it happened.  I am based in the UK at present we are dealing with minus 1-2 degrees so me out practicing in the cold I believe is already against muscle relaxation.  I have seen watched  this video and although Ms V clearly know what she is talking about the content could not be understood in 1 sitting so i will see myself watching that video another 2 times at least to get a better understanding.  Shout outs to Ms V for doing the video if she is on this forum to see the shout out lol 

Yeah, the low temperature makes it worse. And I remembered one more factor today - the higher pressure in the tire, the more it likes to wobble. I intentionally pumped it over to protect the rim as I went to try some jumping, and together with sub-zero temperature and not enough clothes (almost teeth-clicking level), I got two or three seconds of some nasty wobbles. :D

Anyway, have a lot of miles of happy riding.

On 1/11/2021 at 4:04 PM, Zopper said:

Yeah, the low temperature makes it worse. And I remembered one more factor today - the higher pressure in the tire, the more it likes to wobble. I intentionally pumped it over to protect the rim as I went to try some jumping, and together with sub-zero temperature and not enough clothes (almost teeth-clicking level), I got two or three seconds of some nasty wobbles. :D

Anyway, have a lot of miles of happy riding.

what do you define as a high pressure I ride the gotway tesla which is 16inches and my pressure is 35 psi the tyre say it can take 50 so is 35 considered high ?

2 hours ago, Hecticc said:

what do you define as a high pressure I ride the gotway tesla which is 16inches and my pressure is 35 psi the tyre say it can take 50 so is 35 considered high ?

If it hurts your knees or your teeth chatter when you roll over small bumps in the pavement... it may be too high. Pressures are wholly subjective on rider and feel. I prefer a low pressure tire as it suits my weight and how I want the rebound to feel at speed on pavement. I also dont jump up and down curbs much. A person with more weight or that jumps curbs, would destroy a wheel at the pressures I use.  DO NOT pay any attention to what the pressure on the side of the tire says. Seriously, if you pay it any attention, you are screwing up. Dont let those stupid numbers influence reality. The reality is, you can safely pump up to the sidewall pressures (according to them). Of course, how do you suppose they came up with the sidewall numbers? Do you think they mounted an euc rim and conducted testing to ensure a level of safety? If you thnk thats the case, boy do I have some great tales to tell you and call them fact.  my pressures range from 15psi up to about 25psi on various wheels for same ride condtitions. 35psi is also a common pressure for normal weight riders who prefer less rim risk.  Me, I'll gladly risk a rim and have to overcompensate at the knees, to ensure I dont bounce so much I bounce off.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Pressures are wholly subjective on rider and feel.  [snip]  my pressures range from 15psi up to about 25psi on various wheels for same ride condtitions. 35psi is also a common pressure for normal weight riders who prefer less rim risk.

Well, as ShanesPlanet writes. But it also depends on the size and type of tire. My weight is about 60 kg and I'm riding at 35-40 psi on a V10 on the default 16x2.5 tire most of the time. Basically the hardest I can get while still having a good control and some comfort. With a knobby tire that's 16x2.2, I had to get it to about 45 psi because the knobby tire is a bit narrower and the knobs don't like turning much. And on a V5 which has 14x1.8 tire, I'm riding with 50 psi.

This calculator might give you some rough numbers to start with for your weight and tire size. Try to experiment with it to find out what pressure do you like the most and factor in that if you are going up and down the curbs (like me), you need higher pressure. 

Edited by Zopper
Edit: added the link to the calculator
  • Like 2

On 1/17/2021 at 7:39 AM, Zopper said:

Well, as ShanesPlanet writes. But it also depends on the size and type of tire. My weight is about 60 kg and I'm riding at 35-40 psi on a V10 on the default 16x2.5 tire most of the time. Basically the hardest I can get while still having a good control and some comfort. With a knobby tire that's 16x2.2, I had to get it to about 45 psi because the knobby tire is a bit narrower and the knobs don't like turning much. And on a V5 which has 14x1.8 tire, I'm riding with 50 psi.

This calculator might give you some rough numbers to start with for your weight and tire size. Try to experiment with it to find out what pressure do you like the most and factor in that if you are going up and down the curbs (like me), you need higher pressure. 

I never got along with the spreadsheet but shout out to the creator its a unique and really good tool.   I personally was getting suggestions listed below which are way off unless someone tells me otherwise.  I have decided to change tyre pressures weekly and stop when I feel I have got it right.

Screenshot (244).png