V11 bearing problem after a litte area with mud in my first 8 days (400 km)

Halig

In summary:

I received my V11 on December 5th. It is from lot 3A. I have done 400 km in the first 8 days until I have this problem. On one of the routes, I got into a muddy area in about 100 or 200 m. The wheel was quite muddy, but I was able to continue. From that moment on, it makes a lot of noise rolling due bearing problem. I am in process of the warranty, waiting for a response from the manufacturer through my spanish seller.

More info:

I attach some videos. I don't know if the sound is well appreciated. The wheel works fine. It "just" makes a lot of noise and people turn around because of the noise, but I don't care because I love to roll and everything works fine.

When trying to remove the mud, a rope got stuck in the axle and perhaps that introduced more dust in the axle, but before that and during the route it already sounded like "bearings without grease", like now.

I am delighted with that wheel and I think it will be fixed and it seems that it has only happened in a few units. Maybe there is a random mounting problem on those few units and if you get mud or water on the axle, it gets too easy, I don't know. I share the experience, without more, as information, but I am very satisfied with the wheel.

As I like to have information, I asked about the model of bearing In the local company where I asked they have a "cheap bearing" 61816 2RS (about 30€) and an "expensive" one (about 85€). They told me that even the cheap one should be able to withstand almost "indefinite" use. Perhaps it is a problem of mounting, of tolerances, of the "hole" in the motor housing where it is housed, I don't know 🤷‍♂️. It also seems clear that it only occurs in a few units. Maybe a mounting error? ¿? ¿.

What's very encouraging is that the V11 "just" appears to be the problem and only in few units: the bearings. And it will surely have a solution sooner or later. I don't know if with the new bigger bearings or whatever, but the will is the most important and finally we'll have a very reliable wheel. I like offroad and bought this wheel as "King of offroad" as indicated by the Inmotion page and when this problem is solved, it will continue to be the king.

I am not a skilled person. Do not be afraid because I disassembled and then assembled it without any problem with the great video from @mrelwood thanks!

I fear this problem mihgt happen to all hollow motor wheels sooner or later, also I suspect some ppl will defend Inmotion and Gotway in a very aggressive manner.  They bully and ridicule persons trying to debate the problematic bearings in a serious way.  On the positive side: 

We better learn to change the bearings say: every 2 years or so?  If the wheel lives that long? Video about changing bearings inside motor, if you get spareparts from Inmotion youll only need to change the wheel itself. 

Watch this first take your time be patient, and assume some ppl over at telegraf might become aggressive if you critisize Inmotion or ask too many questions.  Its a little sally. Ppl are strange... 

15 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Lot 3A you say, is that already the  version with the bigger bearings?

No. 3B seems 🤔 to be the version with the bigger bearings.

In general, I think there are few V11s sold and few km to draw conclusions.  In a few months we will see, especially when the heat comes at north 🌎 and the final of 😷

Edited by Halig

2 hours ago, Halig said:

No. 3B seems 🤔 to be the version with the bigger bearings.

In general, I think there are few V11s sold and few km to draw conclusions.  

I would guess there are at least 1000 V11s out there and the bearing failure rate is about 3-5% on the first three batches. Hopefully it is lower on 3B and beyond but it's still to early to tell. 

There are plenty of people with 1000km+ on their V11s with no issues.  

Even most people that have bearing issues (like me) will still tell you: it's an amazing wheel. Majestic!

• Like 2

Yes, I am calm. I have had bad luck mixed with having used it in that section with mud. Then she got stuck with the rope, but that was many km later and the sound started after passing that area of about 100 m.

Probably also my bearing problem was partly my fault for not having turned around on the course in those 100 m of mud. I don't know, I think I should be prepared for the mud. My mountain bike has tens of thousands of km with a lot of mud, even covering the bike (and having had to drag it full of mud) and it has always worked perfectly. Nor does it have an electric motor with a hollow shaft that may make that aspiration that they say in Ecodrift and that requires a hole with a tube so that it "breathes". And I am not someone technical either and surely there is a key difference between the two vehicles. I do not know. At the moment I use it, it makes noise like an axis that rubs, but it works.

4 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Even most people that have bearing issues (like me) will still tell you: it's an amazing wheel. Majestic!

I have searched, but I have not seen if you have published a post indicating your problem with the bearings :innocent1:. Could you tell me, please? (or tell your experience, if possible)

On 1/8/2021 at 5:01 PM, Halig said:

In summary:

I received my V11 on December 5th. It is from lot 3A. I have done 400 km in the first 8 days until I have this problem. On one of the routes, I got into a muddy area in about 100 or 200 m. The wheel was quite muddy, but I was able to continue. From that moment on, it makes a lot of noise rolling due bearing problem. I am in process of the warranty, waiting for a response from the manufacturer through my spanish seller.

More info:

I attach some videos. I don't know if the sound is well appreciated. The wheel works fine. It "just" makes a lot of noise and people turn around because of the noise, but I don't care because I love to roll and everything works fine.

When trying to remove the mud, a rope got stuck in the axle and perhaps that introduced more dust in the axle, but before that and during the route it already sounded like "bearings without grease", like now.

I am delighted with that wheel and I think it will be fixed and it seems that it has only happened in a few units. Maybe there is a random mounting problem on those few units and if you get mud or water on the axle, it gets too easy, I don't know. I share the experience, without more, as information, but I am very satisfied with the wheel.

As I like to have information, I asked about the model of bearing In the local company where I asked they have a "cheap bearing" 61816 2RS (about 30€) and an "expensive" one (about 85€). They told me that even the cheap one should be able to withstand almost "indefinite" use. Perhaps it is a problem of mounting, of tolerances, of the "hole" in the motor housing where it is housed, I don't know 🤷‍♂️. It also seems clear that it only occurs in a few units. Maybe a mounting error? ¿? ¿.

What's very encouraging is that the V11 "just" appears to be the problem and only in few units: the bearings. And it will surely have a solution sooner or later. I don't know if with the new bigger bearings or whatever, but the will is the most important and finally we'll have a very reliable wheel. I like offroad and bought this wheel as "King of offroad" as indicated by the Inmotion page and when this problem is solved, it will continue to be the king.

I am not a skilled person. Do not be afraid because I disassembled and then assembled it without any problem with the great video from @mrelwood thanks!

@Haligi think your bearings are perfectly fine, but you just need to open it up and clean the area, especially if some..."rope" got stuck in there..i DO NOT ride a V11, so i am really speculating. but this sound seems normal on dirty bearings. or if the grease inside has become too dry allowing more metal friction inside the bearing itself. either way, a good cleaning and lubrication should help. just my thoughts. i ride a hollow bore motor myself (RS), just not the V11...good luck to you!

3 minutes ago, StealthPhoenix said:

@Haligi think your bearings are perfectly fine, but you just need to open it up and clean the area, especially if some..."rope" got stuck in there..i DO NOT ride a V11, so i am really speculating. but this sound seems normal on dirty bearings. or if the grease inside has become too dry allowing more metal friction inside the bearing itself. either way, a good cleaning and lubrication should help. just my thoughts. i ride a hollow bore motor myself (RS), just not the V11...good luck to you!

24 minutes ago, Halig said:

I have searched, but I have not seen if you have published a post indicating your problem with the bearings :innocent1:. Could you tell me, please? (or tell your experience, if possible)

This sounds like a mud problem, not a bearing problem. 

Try clearing out ALL the mud first. There is likely a bunch of mud stuck between the tire and the inside of the shell.  Flip the wheel upside down and shine a light in there to see if you can see any mud stuck between the tire/motor and the shell.

I used a long bendable piece of metal and slowly introduced hot water to loosen the mud. It took my 3 days to finally get all the mud out but my wheel runs and sounds great now.

• Like 2

@StealthPhoenixand @Jonesq

2 hours ago, StealthPhoenix said:

@Haligi think your bearings are perfectly fine, but you just need to open it up and clean the area, especially if some..."rope" got stuck in there..i DO NOT ride a V11, so i am really speculating. but this sound seems normal on dirty bearings

Thanks for your suggestions 👍. I already disassembled the wheel and I did not see anything stuck in the housing or debris on the axle or the bearings (on the outside, since inside I have no way of knowing what is happening). The noise was exactly the same with the motor separated from the casing and it happened just after passing that area of mud. The thing about the jammed rope to try to remove the internal mud from the casing (which was not the problem) was anecdotal later at home, because he thought the noise was due to mud, but it was not.

I have not put grease or anything inside the bearing. I don't know if it would be better or worse. Maybe it will dissolve the original fat and be worse. I do not know. Changing the bearings for good ones would cost approximately 250 euros, including the labor to do it.

Edited by Halig

1 hour ago, Jonesq said:

This sounds like a mud problem, not a bearing problem. 

Thanks 👍, but I already dismount the wheel thinking that was the problem, but no. Now the wheel and the case are clean and the bearing is still making noise 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Halig

3 hours ago, Halig said:

I'm at 1250km now including 650k since my bearings started making noise. Next week my retailer is putting in a new motor under warranty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Halig said:

@StealthPhoenixand @Jonesq

Thanks for your suggestions 👍. I already disassembled the wheel and I did not see anything stuck in the housing or debris on the axle or the bearings (on the outside, since inside I have no way of knowing what is happening). The noise was exactly the same with the motor separated from the casing and it happened just after passing that area of mud. The thing about the jammed rope to try to remove the internal mud from the casing (which was not the problem) was anecdotal later at home, because he thought the noise was due to mud, but it was not.

I have not put grease or anything inside the bearing. I don't know if it would be better or worse. Maybe it will dissolve the original fat and be worse. I do not know. Changing the bearings for good ones would cost approximately 250 euros, including the labor to do it.

@Haligthe only way to know is to open the motor cover (which you will have to do to replace the bearing anyway). after you remove the motor cover, you can spin the bearing and see if you still hear this sound. but be careful opening the motor cover. make sure you dont insert anything too deep inside the motor to pry the cover off, as it will cut the wires of the coils possibly. but u will still have to pry the cover off little by little to get it off 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 9:44 PM, Finn Bjerke said:

I fear this problem mihgt happen to all hollow motor wheels sooner or later, also I suspect some ppl will defend Inmotion and Gotway in a very aggressive manner.  They bully and ridicule persons trying to debate the problematic bearings in a serious way.  On the positive side: 

We better learn to change the bearings say: every 2 years or so?  If the wheel lives that long? Video about changing bearings inside motor, if you get spareparts from Inmotion youll only need to change the wheel itself. 

What a bunch of BS post. 

You should know with your line of profession that there are more ways to view the world than what you have right in front of your own nose. 

And constant spamming same issues or line of posts do not make it more right at all. 

Yes a few has succeeded doing so but in general most people are smarter than so to fall for it. And that is why I call you out on several occasions. Yet you keep post silly statements like this. 

And by now I am going to quote you: remember go for the ball.... 

On this post I see no reason why people should change there bearing every 2 years. A few have had an issue but to have continous problems is very far fetch. 

And because some do not share you tiny world view do not make them a bully. 

But some do call out fake "news" when someone keep trying to make noise with same posts. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tryptych said:

I'm at 1250km now including 650k since my bearings started making noise. Next week my retailer is putting in a new motor under warranty.

True, I had already read your experience but had not related it to you, Thank you :) . I see that there are few cases (only 3 I know at this moment). Great response from your supplier and we hope you have a good experience with the new engine

10 hours ago, StealthPhoenix said:

@Haligthe only way to know is to open the motor cover

I keep your advice, thank you, because such a change will probably be necessary in the future. I want to use it for offroad, which is what I bought it for, (in addition to using it in the city) and without having to look for rain. Hopefully now it is not necessary to do it this time

• 10 months later...

I had this issue too on new motor with newer bearings, covered with rubber seal. 

I drove two times on sligtly wet surface, after the second time I started hearing the squeeky sound. The motor drove only around 400 km too.  

At this point it is fixed as I put a lot of oil trough the seal. If it happens again, I will open the bearings and grease them, or change them. I was thinking of making some lubrication system too, so I wouldn't need to open the thing up everything. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I rode one more time in the wet, this time heavier rain. Riding home from work, I heard the bearings began to squeak again.
The thin oil that I put in the last time, must just ran out by the help of centric rotating force over short time. The wider the bearing, the bigger the centric force I assume.

Anyway, this time I removed the rubber seal, which was surprisingly easy to do. I noticed that there was plenty of original lube, but it is so thick that I think it just didn't travel across ball bearings, it stayed in-between. In my case, the bearing of the motor cable side had water in, I could see some dirt and rust too.

This time I put lots of thinner lube on top of the original one. I also sealed the rubber seal with silicone on top. It should partly stop water from going in. I know that the bearing rotates and silicon will tear, but it is on one side of the bearing, in very thin section.

If this fails, I will stop driving it in the rain, it makes no sense. Electronics are also originally not sealed at all on this EUC... just waiting for cut-out to happen. I sealed the cover from all sides with the same silicone.

(I wish I could post pictures, but the forum doesn't allow)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roadified said:

lots of thinner lube on top of the original one

You do want to be cautious about mixing lubricants, they aren't all compatible. If you get a bad combination, it can turn to goop instead of lube... this might have happened to you. "Traditionally", you clean out all of the old lube with a petroleum based fluid and repack the bearings with fresh lube—people have been using marine grease with good success. Some wheels (not necessarily V11s) have been found to have vaseline-like "lube" in the bearings, which isn't what you want to have at all!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 10:14 AM, Roadified said:

I rode one more time in the wet, this time heavier rain. Riding home from work, I heard the bearings began to squeak again.
The thin oil that I put in the last time, must just ran out by the help of centric rotating force over short time. The wider the bearing, the bigger the centric force I assume.

Anyway, this time I removed the rubber seal, which was surprisingly easy to do. I noticed that there was plenty of original lube, but it is so thick that I think it just didn't travel across ball bearings, it stayed in-between. In my case, the bearing of the motor cable side had water in, I could see some dirt and rust too.

This time I put lots of thinner lube on top of the original one. I also sealed the rubber seal with silicone on top. It should partly stop water from going in. I know that the bearing rotates and silicon will tear, but it is on one side of the bearing, in very thin section.

If this fails, I will stop driving it in the rain, it makes no sense. Electronics are also originally not sealed at all on this EUC... just waiting for cut-out to happen. I sealed the cover from all sides with the same silicone.

(I wish I could post pictures, but the forum doesn't allow)

Are you talking about a V11?  The electronics on my V11 were extremely well sealed from factory.   I often ride in the rain with no issues and have opened my wheel up several times and found no sign of water entering it.  I replaced the original bearings with good quality Japanese bearings and they've been good for nearly 2000km and still going strong. 

• Like 1