My IPS Kahuna K1S 260wh with Handlebar

SlowMo

It finally arrived! My original item was stuck at Hong Kong airport for nearly 2 months so I persuaded my seller to send me another unit. I ordered black, I received white.:mellow:

My son was very excited as I told him that it would be his Christmas gift so he immediately did a short training ride along the hallway and after some persuasion, he was able to go on a straight line without any assistance. I did test the unit myself and it is very easy to use. After that, I tried  to cover the white body which is like a dirt magnet and made partial progress. :D

2rxa7vn.jpg

More pics here: :)

http://imgur.com/a/Uxee1

8 minutes ago, BA-B8 said:

^^^ Nice.. I wonder how well Plastidip handles scrapes though.. anyway looks like a manly Big Kahuna now.  Good work!

Thanks! Turning seems a bit difficult since I am used to riding thin single wheel units. We will practice using it this weekend.:) 

@SlowMo  Wow, nice paint job!  One time someone told me they saw an EU rider with a giant wheel and I never did believe them - now I think it might have been one of these!  Very interesting!

I think it will be very usable but requiring its own riding technique.  It should behave like in-between a usual single wheel and a dual wheel.

Thanks! Having rode it for a short distance, I would confirm that it needs a different technique for turning and the same as for any EUC that some practice would be needed to learn its riding style.

This one is mainly for my son and is far better and much safer than our  2 wheel balancing board that I have given away for free. 

2 hours ago, playdad said:

Very nice. Looks like something Batman would stand on. You should nickname it "BatWheel" How fast does this go? One thick wheel is much more stable/safer than 2 thin wheels! Only downside would probably be the weight and cornering?

Thank you. It would be a great honor for Batman to come and ride my wheel. Isn't it amazing that people are just dreaming and I am having it?  But  IMO, the honor should go to the Uniwheel design which looks far more advanced and would be much more preferred by Batman. ;)

1 hour ago, Colestien said:

Good paint.  It looks like it came from the factory that way.  If I would have tried that.....Well it would look that good.

Thanks! I added some "rock guard" clear coating and hope it would add some protection against scratches. I also placed some black crash rubber tape on the bottom edges for additional protection. :)

It was removed only for painting. It really helped my son and he is riding without assistance now. He can make sudden dismounts without much effort which is very good for his safety. More people are interested about this unit than my other EUC's. I know they think it is easier to ride than the EUC's without handlebar. Money well spent. :)

23kdisl.jpg

Hi SlowMo

Glad you got it

When I tried the handle bar this way I had 2 problems

The first was that it totally interfered with the steering, actually it was uncontrollable.

The second was that light tilt back  started before tilt back speeds and close to tilt speed the handle bar did not let me keep leaning forward so I could not reach max speed. this can be different between different manufacturers.

Did you notice this?

7 hours ago, alon av said:

Hi SlowMo

Glad you got it

When I tried the handle bar this way I had 2 problems

The first was that it totally interfered with the steering, actually it was uncontrollable.

The second was that light tilt back  started before tilt back speeds and close to tilt speed the handle bar did not let me keep leaning forward so I could not reach max speed. this can be different between different manufacturers.

Did you notice this?

Actually this unit is my son's 10th birthday gift and he likes it so much. We never experienced any tilt back yet since we drive only at moderate speeds. I tried speeding it up a bit when it first came and I felt some wobbling due to the wheel being wide and flat. Unlike the EUC's with narrow wheel, it needs a different riding style and once mastered, it would be quite easy. My son is now able to release both hands although he still uses the handlebar while turning, in adjusting his balance from time to time and for mounting and dismounting. Yes it seems that your wheel would run better if the handlebar is removed. You will find that you will be able to do very tight turns since you can slant the wheel while turning which you can't do if the handlebar is installed.

6 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

Hey, thanks for the review, I would love to bought that model instead of q3, if I had known about prior... Any app for it or is it dumb like a Airwheel? What I don't like is all the dirt catching places on body...

There are 2 models, the one I bought is without bluetooth app. The other model  is with the app that shows your speed battery capacity and mileage. It also has some sort of remote control. I could have bought the model with bluetooth but my dealer didn't have stock. It would only catch dirt if you ride it on dirt but it stays clean on normal park riding. It's designed like a tank that is why they named it "Armor Tiger". :)

@MetricUSA I have always imagined this - take the Q3 with twin tires and add a third tire in the middle.  Somehow work it in there with an inner tube also.  This tire could be larger or wider than the other two, exactness is not necessary.  Inflate it first probably to have easier access to the inner tube.  When all three tires inflated, the center one could be higher and you might end up with the feel of one wheel as you ride straight but when you lean and turn the side tires make contact and you would then be riding a super fat tire!  If the center one is bouncy or deflates easily then it will be bridging the gap between the other two tires and would still offer a different riding feel from just the two tires by themselves.

The only thing is, there has to be room enough to clear the third tire inside the Q3 shell.  It can't be done on an Inmotion V3 because the hidden handle telescopes in that gap between the two tires I believe so there's no room for a 3rd tire.

When you get tired of the third wheel feel, you can always remove it or even just leave it there and deflate it enough to restore the feel of two tires.

(Or... design a three wheel from the start - either with equal tires or have the center tire be a little bigger.  Or design a Kahuna - oh wait, already done!)

Archived