Does Veteran have a tire problem? Tire off the rim?

Finn Bjerke

On 4/9/2021 at 8:49 PM, EUC_Ali said:

An update on the scraping situation of the wheel. I emailed Ewheels to place my order of the Sherman and they sent this:

"As for waterproofing and the rim design, the latest and and next batch feature a slightly wider rim for better tire stability, along with an upgraded waterproofed top panel. The motor hasn't been redesigned, but Veteran has updated the pedal hanger design so the tire does not scrape with this revised motor rim." 

I went ahead and placed my order. I think the Sherman is finally being refined to perfection, or close to it. 

Do you know which sellers DO have the updated rim + hangers version?

On Ali its a mixed bad of "new 2020 version" (lol) and "new pedal hanger version", previous update that raised pedals 1cm, NOT this 2nd pedal hanger update that you say gove clearance for NEW wider rim. I dont see how a wider rim will help with tyre (not) coming off due to too small diameter though? Unless they changed tyre as well to a  different inner diameter (bead section)

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 12:21 PM, EUC AZ said:

That says its because battery prices went up.  It is not because demand for the sherman went up

On 4/10/2021 at 5:03 PM, Rikachu said:

Oh.....😐

Demand for the cells... not the wheel. Most factories have been operating with less workers due to covid resulting in slower production of cells. As supply decreases and demand stays the same (or slightly increases in our case), the price increases. 

Economics 101 of Ride sharing: Simultaneous Shifts in Demand and Supply  Curves | by Mohan Krishnamurthy, Ph.D | Medium

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Boogieman said:

Do you know which sellers DO have the updated rim + hangers version?

On Ali its a mixed bad of "new 2020 version" (lol) and "new pedal hanger version", previous update that raised pedals 1cm, NOT this 2nd pedal hanger update that you say gove clearance for NEW wider rim. I dont see how a wider rim will help with tyre (not) coming off due to too small diameter though? Unless they changed tyre as well to a  different inner diameter (bead section)

I know Ewheels has the updated version with no scraping and a new motor rim, but I don't buy wheels from anyone else. I'd recommend contacting a representative from a retailer near your geographic region. :)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2021 at 1:53 AM, mrelwood said:

Without ever even seeing the Sherman, my guess is that the outer diameter of the rim isn’t the issue here.

When the tire bead bulges out from the rim, the issue is most likely that the exact opposite side of the rim allows the bead to go too deep. The outer diameter of the rim doesn’t affect that, it’s about the diameter of the section on the rim that is supposed to support the bead. That section is too small on pretty much all EUCs: The rim doesn’t center the tires properly, which is why a manual reseat is in order. Which is a common process with EUCs, and never done on other vehicles.

If I had the Sherman, as a first aid I’d use multiple layers of thick tape at the inner rim edges to make it a larger diameter, like this (I’d buy a narrower tape though):

image.thumb.jpg.630a018e206a40bf109d37d8d91c9918.jpg

(EDIT: Some tire liner strips might work for this as well.)

You’d win. It’s roughly 14.5” on all 18” EUCs. ;)

Old bump, seeing as I had the tire jump off my Master recently and good info in this thread, is this fix with tape a permanent solution for crappy rim or is it just a band-aid pray to jesus sort of fix?

19 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Old bump, seeing as I had the tire jump off my Master recently and good info in this thread, is this fix with tape a permanent solution for crappy rim or is it just a band-aid pray to jesus sort of fix?

Hard to say. What was the tire pressure at when this happened?

If I had that kind of an issue with a decent tire pressure, I would try the tape mod or change to a different outer tire altogether.

6 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Hard to say. What was the tire pressure at when this happened?

If I had that kind of an issue with a decent tire pressure, I would try the tape mod or change to a different outer tire altogether.

For my case it was 45 PSI but people have reported it happening on various PSI ratings everything between 20-50 PSI, see here:

Oh man, that really is an issue with the Master rim then. I would definitely try the tape mod, unless someone comes up with a better solution.

I would aim for a thickness that wouldn’t let a deflated tire to move up and down more than a millimeter or a few. Maybe even measure the current diameter first by checking how much the (deflated) tire can be pushed up and down, and aim for half of that for the tape thickness.

• 11 months later...

I see mrelwoods solution of adding tape inside the rim in order to create a shoulder to hold the tire more centered.

Wouldn't this eventually be a job for 3D printing or thick tape? Aren't we talking severe mm thickness to be added?

9 hours ago, null said:

I see mrelwoods solution of adding tape inside the rim in order to create a shoulder to hold the tire more centered.

Wouldn't this eventually be a job for 3D printing or thick tape? Aren't we talking severe mm thickness to be added?

I found an even better solution and sold my Master. 😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I found an even better solution and sold my Master. 😂

Good for you but I cant afford that.
My EBCP possibly have the same rim as your master had (40mm?) so all my current EUCs are affected 🙄

10 hours ago, null said:

Good for you but I cant afford that.
My EBCP possibly have the same rim as your master had (40mm?) so all my current EUCs are affected 🙄

Yes it's horrible, so out of the blue someone on Telegram just wrote yesterday that their son had this happen to them recently.

image.thumb.jpeg.37febf61c2e09ef87b25da96bf96a7ac.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the info @Rawnei , I will make a thread about "how to try and keep your tire on the rim" for those who cant afford switching EUCs. Considering its not just a old Sherman issue (that being said my OG have 12K km without the tire moving) it might as well be a separate thread.

edit: actually, seing your pictures from the master thread it might not be the same issue mrelwood speculated on regarding the rim being too deep and letting the tire offset.  It looks more like there is too little edge to hold the tire. Too bad I see this only now, I should have checked the EBCP rim.

Edited by null
  • Sad 1

On 12/30/2023 at 10:43 AM, Rawnei said:

Yes it's horrible, so out of the blue someone on Telegram just wrote yesterday that their son had this happen to them recently.

image.thumb.jpeg.37febf61c2e09ef87b25da96bf96a7ac.jpeg

Hi, the name of group in telegram?

Thanks