Does Veteran have a tire problem? Tire off the rim?

Finn Bjerke

It seems the hazzle free near perfect Sherman Veteran have problems after all? Tire disconnecting? The solution is;
"Do nothing?" 
"Change the tire" 
?? 
How widespread is this problem, is it only "knubby" tire or is it the wheel or the axel?  What is the underlying general problem is it possible to generalize at all? 

image.jpeg.70251df4b4bbde93c193b6f64ae763f7.jpeg

That's my post on Reddit. I was going to make my own topic soon but you beat me too it(hah). I posted some info about this issue in the xmas eve batch thread(https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/21185-xmas-eve-batch-from-ewheels/), but didn't want to clog that thread up with more of my issue. It seems i'm not the only one with the problem.

Just this morning I received a response from Jason at ewheels about the concern. He told me that this has been a constant theme with the Shermans. The rim was made too small for the tires and this in turn leads to a loose wheel, and difficult(if not impossible) placement of the tire. He says that most riders have been able to get it rideable but not perfect. Veteran has been made aware of this issue and is working with its motor supplier to get a better fitting rim. Ewheels has an order in for 100 rims but they won't arrive for 6 weeks. I am still waiting to hear if these will be covered or if we will have to purchase this rim on our own dime. Super happy I ordered the wheel from ewheels, they've been great.

I have been able to get my tire mounted so that it's rideable, but its not perfect like I want it(as seen in the video). Since the tire/tube came off the wheel 100 miles ago i have not had it come off again since then. My theory is: 1.)Either a large piece of debris knocked the tire off the bead, or 2.) I had the tire or tube situated oddly or pinched from trying to get it mounted straight by riding at 10psi for 10-20 feet. or 3.) a combination of both. 

I am assuming that every Sherman has this problem and i'm just one of the few who looked closely enough at it. I've mounted thousands of car tires during my time as an auto mechanic and as such its really easy to spot an out of round/out of balance/wobbling/unseated tire. 

I wanted to get my wheel perfect so I will keep everyone updated with what happens.

EDIT: I ordered the Sherman with the k340A street tire not the knobby. But it seems that people with the knobby have the same issue. 

EDIT2: TLDRL: Veteran Sherman has  RIM issue not a TIRE issue. New better fitting RIM is in the works. 

Edited by Fiori
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

Hopping in to say I have this problem too and a suspected fix is using an 18x2.50 tube

I've been observing Declan's issues with this with some trepidation as I await arrival of my Sherman.  Also from Ewheels, same batch as the christmas eve set - I just missed the email to make my final payment so I get one from the second container and a few days later.  Hopefully won't have the issue, but we shall see.  

Update from ewheels this morning. Rims will be provided to ewheels customers but the replacement labor will be on the customer to do(aka i cant just send the wheel to ewheels for them to replace it). I'm not stoked about tearing down my new wheel in 6 weeks but I feel comfortable doing it.

@Declan acoustic-unicyclist Sorry to hear you are having the same issue. Looks like you are running a different tire than i am. What Conti is that? I'd love to have a good Michelin tire on there. 

@HamishTHaggisHate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm guessing if the rims are 6 weeks out it didn't make it onto that batch. Hope i'm wrong though!

Edited by Fiori
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fiori said:

Update from ewheels this morning. Rims will be provided to ewheels customers but the replacement labor will be on the customer to do(aka i cant just send the wheel to ewheels for them to replace it). I'm not stoked about tearing down my new wheel in 6 weeks but I feel comfortable doing it.

@Declan acoustic-unicyclist Sorry to hear you are having the same issue. Looks like you are running a different tire than i am. What Conti is that? I'd love to have a good Michelin tire on there. 

@HamishTHaggisHate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm guessing if the rims are 6 weeks out it didn't make it onto that batch. Hope i'm wrong though!

Unfortunately, I think you are certainly likely to be correct.  Hopefully it won't be a problem in the intervening time, but I'll be watching Declan's efforts and for the arrival of the updated design.

@PlanemoI am pretty disappointed as well. It's a little bothersome that the reviewers did not mention anything about it aside from Kujirolls. Maybe they just didn't notice it or look at the tire balance. I'm sure if its carefully aligned it should be safe, but that shouldn't have to happen anyway. I would have waited to order if i knew. So far it seems only the street tires have come off. 

In the mean time I am going to try and source a good quality Michelin tire and tube to install while i have the rim off. The weight rating of the K340A street tire says 267 lbs. Me + sherman(im 180 so most people are probably close) exceeds that, or at least gets close. 

Edited by Fiori

1 hour ago, Fiori said:

@PlanemoI am pretty disappointed as well. It's a little bothersome that the reviewers did not mention anything about it aside from Kujirolls. Maybe they just didn't notice it or look at the tire balance. I'm sure if its carefully aligned it should be safe, but that shouldn't have to happen anyway. I would have waited to order if i knew. So far it seems only the street tires have come off. 

In the mean time I am going to try and source a good quality Michelin tire and tube to install while i have the rim off. The weight rating of the K340A street tire says 267 lbs. Me + sherman(im 180 so most people are probably close) exceeds that, or at least gets close. 

Wrongway adam did mention this in his video I guess? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fiori said:

I have the Conti-Scoot 80/90-14 tire on mine and there is no way its coming off the rim.  I do run around 33-35psi

resized.jpg

Edited by Willy510
  • Like 3

@Willy510  Do you think it wont come off because it was difficult to get over the rim(just curious) because it looks like @Declan acoustic-unicyclist had an 80/90 conti too and it came off.  Thanks for the info that gives me hope because If the Conti-Scoot 80/90-14 fits then the Michelin City Pro 80/90-14 should fit too(i wasn't sure). The City pro has a weight index of 46, which is rated to 360+ lbs. Much better than the stock tire with 267lb rating. If you feel like your tire fits tighter without wobble i may just order one now.

EDIT: Looks like 70/90 may fit better. I have the Mich Pilots on my motorcycle so i may try those.

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/motorbike/tyres/michelin-city-pro

Edited by Fiori

I ordered a 70/90-14 Michelin Pilot 2 so we will see how that goes. That tire is a tubeless one so hopefully they fit will be tighter(I will obviously still have to tube it). I cant find anyone in the US selling the City Pro 70/90-14 in the TT(Tube Type) variant so I will have to see if my local motorcycle shop can order it for me. 

Cant find any known good branded 18x2.75 or 18x3 tubes with bent valve stems. I may just see if I can buy them form ewheels and have them put them in the box for my V11 to save some shipping.

Edited by Fiori

55 minutes ago, Fiori said:

@Declan acoustic-unicyclistacoustic-unicyclist What tire are you running?

Contiscoot 80/90-14 , michelin pilot street 70/90-14, chaoyang h5102, and kenda knobby (stock tire) 

All of them have the same issue of vibrating while riding because the bead dislodges from the rim

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

Contiscoot 80/90-14 , michelin pilot street 70/90-14, chaoyang h5102, and kenda knobby (stock tire) 

All of them have the same issue of vibrating while riding because the bead dislodges from the rim

Well shoot there goes my hopes and dreams of fixing it with the pilot street or contiscoot.. Guess I'll just have to wait for the new rim to arrive. 

22 hours ago, Fiori said:

I'm not technically a reviewer, but I did make 2 videos about the sherm and my opinion. I just finished my 100mi vid as well. I did not mention anything about a tire issue, simply because I don't seem to have one... yet. I JUST looked over the bead of my rim closely and its mounted just fine with little indication there is a problem. Perhaps many didnt mention this, simply because it didnt happen to theirs.  Mine is the first batch sherman with the Kenda off road tire. I run a measely 15-20psi at 130lb rider.

It sucks to hear about this crapolla for sure! My wheel is destined to be a high speed street wheel. I plan on using it to ride among cars on 2 lane highways at +40mph sustained with mountains and rivers and no shoulders. My sherman and tire ride just great, but of COURSE it will, until it doesnt. I can only suspect that IF I had a tire come unseated at 40mph with traffic tailgating behind me, it wouldnt be anything aside from simply murderous(not joking but also only mildly care). An ounce of prevention is worth a coffin full of cure I guess. E_wheels won't be too happy to hear from me I'm sure, as its just MORE money out their pockets to rectify this kind of thing. Even tho mine shows no issue, it was made to the same specs (serious lack of) that the people who are having issue, is.

Holy fukn bullshit batman! Why cant a single euc company come out with a wheel that doesnt have some obvious and glaring issue? We arent talking minor stuff here that has no consequence. We also arent talking new tech, as rims and tires are somewhat old news. Do they not believe in measuring things in the euc build world? I KNOW they dont worry much about build quality and common sense, but rims and tires? Reality is fleeting in the euc companies, as maybe theyve been making up their own rules about what measuring is, for too long. I dearly hope that Veteran gets their asses spanked over this and loose as much $$ as they can without fully going under. There HAS to be some form of reprocussions for these discrepancies, as there's obviously not much incentive to get it right the first time.

This should not have to be said, but here goes...   Manufacturers and companies... when you shop for the cheapest source for parts and build, you're being an idiot when you dont verify dimensions and quality yourself, before placing it upon your product. The blame falls on you, the end manufacturer and its your fault this gets into circulation. Pointing fingers and placing blame is redundant, as we all know its the duty of the company who's name is on the end product.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Planemo said:

How difficult is it to measure the outside diameter of the rim, the inside diameter of the tyre and then subtract one from the other to make sure theres enough rim to support the bead?

Words fail me.

in the euc world of China... impossible. Math is hard, liability is harder and reality is impossible. Its equally hard to not lie about specs and give REAL dimensions. I havent measured it, but I'd blindly place a $500 bet that my rim isnt even 18". Damn I wish we had some decent choices for euc. I guess when the only thing on the buffet table is shit, and you're hungry enough, youll take a plate full.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

If u read the forums and watch u tube long enough ,u can c that the Shermans have tyre issues.Not all of them and not all the early ones.Right outta the box mine had excessive speed vibration at between 35kmh and 45kmh.After mucking about trying to manhandle/manipulate bulges i think i have got this issue licked.I,m not convinced yet as i have still have to get over the mental hurdle of pushing this vehicle over 55kmh.Previously it tried to throw me and then jump on me and tried to Fxxk me.I believe mine had a bulge where the tube exits the wheel.The valve stem from the tube was not allowing the tyre to sit deeply enough into the rim.Deflating,breaking the bead and then riding the wheel at 5-10psi pushed the tyre past the valve stem lip and then the ride was better.This is ur first and best course of action.As for Ewheels sending new rims and asking customers to tear their wheels down and fit it themselves,what world are they living in??.If they are selling products with faults then its their problem to fix and not the customers.

• Like 2