US government starts investigating Hoverboard safety

fearedbliss

So seems like the US government is starting to quickly look into hoverboard safetys. I know for a fact a lot of the hoverboards are not safe. However, besides crappy generic Unis like TG-T3, us in the EU community have been pretty fortunate I think with the brands we currently have. However, I'm afraid that the hoverboard determination will also automatically give a conclusion for EUs as well since people will just assume "Oh both are new, both are Chinese, so they are both bad".

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/14/us-hoverboard-safety-investigation/

I wish the article stated how Uncle Sam is going about this investigation. Are they going to make a blanket ban on all rideables? Are they going to require some sort of certification and impose taxes?

Banning hoverboards is like banning any rideable with a lithium ion battery. I hope it doesn't come to this.

@csmyers

Well, most politicians focus on politics, anything else they are not really interested in.

Don't expect them to wrap their heads around something as technical as EUC's BMS, LiPo vs LiIion batts, overcharge vs undercharge, etc.

Riders of these devices are (still) a minority, so generalising the problem is the quick fix to keep the larger part of 'the public' (a.k.a. their constituency) happy.

Im hoping that the law makers will see the difference between "hoverboards" and EUC's. I understand that they are all pretty much powered the same way, but here in Australia it seems the "board" type is by far getting the most focus as to being unsafe and exploding.

the single wheel EUC at this stage in Melbourne at least is being looked at as a more "legitimate" form of transportation, being a larger wheel, more speed and those on them in the city all seem pretty respectful to other ppl, and road laws which always helps.

i think this Xmas will see many kids getting the hoverboards and injuries will result, I personally dont like them and think they are dangerous.

just my 2c

About 10 years ago there was a big problem with laptop batteries that had been poorly manufactured. They had small metal fragments inside them that over time could cause shorts. So this isn't the first time batteries have been in the news as a safety risk. Bad batteries set several beds on fire and a few flights had to land because of smoking laptops in carry-on luggage. The company I was in at the time made a demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pizFsY0yjss

Anyway, companies like Dell and Gateway recalled the batteries and set up better quality control. I think that's the key this time around too. You need to have a supply chain that will be responsible for product quality. Right now people are ordering no-name hoverboards off Chinese web sites, or buying them from local mall kiosks that will be long gone after the holidays.

Agree Dmethvin, I lived in Shenzhen southern China from 2001 - 2006 and fully understand the QC issues that hamper the delivery of good reliable products to the west from first hand experience.

Like all new, and dare I say it "hot" products the Hoverboard is being cranked out in their thousands over there with no regard to safety concerns, and once they have left the factory wipe their hands of them - it wont be until the West start saying NO at the border to the products and the money dries up for them, that the qualit units will start to come through.

EUC's on the other hand dont seem to be struggling with the same issues thank god..

I traveled to Houston for Thanks Giving on Southwest with my IPS and had no issues.... I guess this might change in the future.... 

TSA asked a few questions but nothing really big... I told the guy to try it out but he declined. I also hope hey know the difference between a hoverboard and a EUC but i don't think that will happen.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2015/12/10/delta-bans-hoverboards-airlines-fret-fire-risk/77110988/

They are different but unfortunately when it comes to the safety concerns, they are exactly the same.  Those of us that have purchased from reputable companies know our batteries are safe but there are Chinese manufacturers making generic EUs that are probably just as dangerous as the hoverboards.  This means we should all expect to be caught under the umbrella of bans for now.

I think once the manufacturers that are creating unsafe batteries (this includes the BMS) are identified and banned (until they prove their safety), the hoverboards and EUs issue will fade into the past just like the issue with laptop batteries years ago.

2 hours ago, Cranium said:

Those of us that have purchased from reputable companies know our batteries are safe but there are Chinese manufacturers making generic EUs that are probably just as dangerous as the hoverboards. 

I think once the manufacturers that are creating unsafe batteries (this includes the BMS) are identified and banned (until they prove their safety), the hoverboards and EUs issue will fade into the past just like the issue with laptop batteries years ago.

How do you know your batteries are safe? Does your EUC vendor provide some kind of guarantee or is there a certification they provided?

Remember that the laptop battery issue happened with reputable companies like Dell, HP, and Gateway. It's not about the popularity of the brand you buy but the amount of quality control those companies exert on their supply chain. Usually you as a consumer don't know that in advance. It's good that the laptop batteries were recalled and fixed at no charge, even for products out of warranty, but that was mandated by the US CPSC. The massive unplanned costs of those recalls gave companies that wanted to stay in business an incentive to actually look at the quality of what they were selling to mitigate risks.

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

How do you know your batteries are safe? Does your EUC vendor provide some kind of guarantee or is there a certification they provided?

True enough.  

For the sake of accuracy, I should have stated that reputable manufacturers are more likely to take safety and quality of the batteries they are purchasing into account to provide a product that will not harm their brand in the long run. :)

Archived