Jump/Power pads. Thingiverse.

NickNonsense

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Johnny Rocket 98908 said:

Has anyone printed pedal pushers, for opening the pedals with your feet?  Something like this

[fixed link] https://thingiverse.com/thing:3488324

I've always loved this idea but with two thoughts:

1. For that kind of design, surely 3d printing is unnecessary and there are already all manner of cheap little things that could be stuck onto pedals with double-sided tape like that to serve the same purpose.
  2. Conversely I'm always skeptical of using double-sided tape, and I envision a design that clips onto the inside of the pedals with no adhesive necessary. I need to try mocking something up with paperclips or something to show what I mean.
Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

@Lukasz these are great pads. I like some of your design decisions here and may incorporate some into my design, particularly covering the pads in baby form to soften them up a bit.

I have noticed another rider using my design but the spilt version and think I may swap over to the spilt version myself. 

Thanks for sharing your video 😊

On 12/30/2020 at 6:34 AM, NickNonsense said:

Hi, 
Been working on some jump/power pads. Was surprised to find places like Thingiverse and Yeggi did not really have any of these, seems like everyone just jumped on it to make some money. Each to they own but I would like to share my design with the community. Hope the community enjoys them. 

Would be great to get some feedback and would be even better to see some out in the wild so be sure to post a "Make" if you print them. I have also included the Fusion360 file as I would love to see what tweaks others come up with. 
Enjoy. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4690957

Put some comments on thingiverse before I realized you're here--great job on these. I think it's handily the best pads on thingiverse. Did a quick remix to remove the ribbing and slapped them on my new Sherman, which helped immensely.

Only part of the design I dislike is the way the rear puck cylinder protrude from the rest of the rear of the pad--it focuses pressure on that area which hurts the comfort. Nothing a tiny bit of baby foam couldn't fix.

On 23/01/2021 at 8:01 AM, BoseHeadphones said:

Put some comments on thingiverse before I realized you're here--great job on these. I think it's handily the best pads on thingiverse. Did a quick remix to remove the ribbing and slapped them on my new Sherman, which helped immensely.

Only part of the design I dislike is the way the rear puck cylinder protrude from the rest of the rear of the pad--it focuses pressure on that area which hurts the comfort. Nothing a tiny bit of baby foam couldn't fix.

Sorry things been up in the air a little I did see the comment. I was going reply after I had sometime to sit down. 

Thanks for the kind comments first 😊

someone else complained about the ridges. I may remove them. I added them thinking it would provide grip, maybe they just unnecessary. 

The rear puck itself? Not a good position? You can change the puck design to better suit you, the two pucks should be a friction fit so can be easily swapped out. It's there to provide a better locked in feeling when jumping, if you download the fusion360 and look at the imported reference photo I modeled around you can see what I was trying to achieve. If you have any suggestions I would be happy to take them on board and maybe tweak the design. 

I appreciate the make you posted too. Looks great! It makes me real happy that others are able to get some use out these. 

1 hour ago, NickNonsense said:

The rear puck itself? Not a good position? You can change the puck design to better suit you, the two pucks should be a friction fit so can be easily swapped out. It's there to provide a better locked in feeling when jumping, if you download the fusion360 and look at the imported reference photo I modeled around you can see what I was trying to achieve. If you have any suggestions I would be happy to take them on board and maybe tweak the design.

The pucks themselves work great! What I'm referring to is the edge of the rear puck holder not being aligned with the rear wall so it pokes out a bit. By comparison on the front the puck holder is smoothly integrated with the front of the pad. I took a quick shot at modifying that myself but I'm very much a beginner at Fusion.

1310358379_Jumppadprotrusions.jpg.5b07b2fb38f3f36e2f4eb96122d41622.jpg

1 hour ago, NickNonsense said:

someone else complained about the ridges. I may remove them. I added them thinking it would provide grip, maybe they just unnecessary.

I wound up doing a quick remix to remove the ridges and am printing a set of those for a friend. It's a matter of preference, but when I'm trying to accelerate/brake I'm trying to put pressure on the front or back of the pad asap and the ridges get in the way. The only reason I'd pinch the wheel for grip is if I'm try to keep it under me, but the front puck has that covered and does a great job of keeping me locked in.

@BoseHeadphones Ah ok, i see what your saying. Yes that would be better if it was aligned. Maybe i could bring that brake pad forward so its tangent with the circle. I'll look to remedy this over the next couple of days.

Edited by NickNonsense

@BoseHeadphones I moved the rear wall in, it was only a few mm it seems. 

If there anything else i can help with or anymore input i'll be happy to hear it. I'll update the thingiverse page too include this model at some point.

Edited by NickNonsense

On 1/24/2021 at 4:29 PM, NickNonsense said:

If there anything else i can help with or anymore input i'll be happy to hear it. I'll update the thingiverse page too include this model at some point.

I think the design is great as-is at this point all I've got are wishlist items:

I can see on your posted make you've got the pad angled back slightly, but I've got it mounted with the rear wall going straight up and down. Unfortunately then the rear puck is then a couple inches higher than the front puck so it's not helping with jumping.

Lowering/extending the rear wall+puck to line up with the front puck would fix my issue. Though you only extended it I think it'd exceed the print size of my ender 3 bed. Wish there was an easy way to make that parametric, I think the angle is a matter of personal taste.

1530570890_PhotoJan23013714.jpg.18cd69985ce99b91108e7e30d0e69635.jpg

Shooting for the moon--I'd love if there was a way to leverage the screwholes on the V11 to mount the pads. Not sure how that'd look without having to scale the current design down considerably to fit.

More of an aesthetic choice--you've got smooth parametric curves going to the front/rear wall, but then a bunch of discrete stepped layers at the bottom of the pad. Zero impact on functionality, just a deviation in design.

I have noticed that everyone likes the brake pad to be straight. I feel that it would make my legs somewhat rigid, so that is why I have angled it back. Maybe I will tweak the design (I am planning on switching over to the split design myself which is more modular)

Yes lowering that rear brake pad would mean that it would exceed the Ender3’s print bed. I had designed the pad to fit within the Ender3 sized bed. To get around this would be to scale the whole pad down in the slicer and everything else that is printed along with it e.g., pucks by the same amount. Good idea on the parametric side, there are configurable parameters already in the design, so maybe I could spend some time on adding a new one that will not break the rest of the design when changed.

I do not have a V11 and I am not sure if there is a CAD file I could use. Looking at the V11 there seems to be a stepped designed between the wheel and the foot pillars. So, I am not sure how that would work. Although I know someone who has a design for the V11 and is in the middle of refining his design. He will be uploading his new version soon. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4693430

The rear brake pad has those ribs for support. I did not want to sacrifice much space on the back and so figured the ribs were the best design choice to limit the area needed to provide a strong support. I also figured it would involve less material. I would imagine the design adds to the print time too since there a lot of small moves there. This is something I will have a think over, maybe there is a better design choice like that of the front pad.

Thanks again @BoseHeadphones, really appreciate the feedback. There are some design choices here that I have not thought of and have clearly overlooked.

Hi @George Iliev, thank you for the kind sentiment. I have not setup anything to receive donations, I am not sure how I would go about doing that. This design is influenced on numerous designs out there already, honestly it makes me incredibly happy knowing that others are finding the design useful. Thingiverse analytics tells me the design has been downloaded 200 times, which is sick for such a niche community.
If you have any input on the design though I am happy to take them onboard to make an even better design for the community.

Thanks again for your support George.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NickNonsense said:

Hi @George Iliev, thank you for the kind sentiment. I have not setup anything to receive donations, I am not sure how I would go about doing that. This design is influenced on numerous designs out there already, honestly it makes me incredibly happy knowing that others are finding the design useful. Thingiverse analytics tells me the design has been downloaded 200 times, which is sick for such a niche community.
If you have any input on the design though I am happy to take them onboard to make an even better design for the community.

Thanks again for your support George.

I'm game to model it, we have a 3d design/viz studio, and I also have a prusa mk3s, so I can print also. What are you editing on? I was thinking of printing one for myself, but wanted to beer you up first :D

PS: I am looking at the model: image.thumb.png.8a5b26721328192262fdea5652856a72.png

why not smooth everything up? It seems like a rough edge to be near your ankle, and would look waay better without stepping it down, but rather beveling it. I tried smoothing things up, but there's some strange issue with the edging of the model - everything gets crooked and doesn't want to keep the bevel at that particular edge. Software acts like the 3d's broken or smth

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NickNonsense said:

Yes lowering that rear brake pad would mean that it would exceed the Ender3’s print bed. I had designed the pad to fit within the Ender3 sized bed. To get around this would be to scale the whole pad down in the slicer and everything else that is printed along with it e.g., pucks by the same amount. Good idea on the parametric side, there are configurable parameters already in the design, so maybe I could spend some time on adding a new one that will not break the rest of the design when changed.

If you were to slide the rear wall down a couple inches it'd still fit on an ender 3 bed with a bit of rotation. I don't think there's a need to extend the rear wall downward, the existing length is plenty.

I do not have a V11 and I am not sure if there is a CAD file I could use. Looking at the V11 there seems to be a stepped designed between the wheel and the foot pillars. So, I am not sure how that would work. Although I know someone who has a design for the V11 and is in the middle of refining his design. He will be uploading his new version soon. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4693430

I did see that model, but I don't think having an overhang is necessary at all. The OEM V11 pads are totally flat and just kept on with adhesive: https://www.ewheels.com/product/inmotion-v11-powerpads/

What I was picturing is extending out the bottom so the pad could be screwed into the V11 side panels for stability--like this flypad model: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4655658

It'd require cropping off the top of the pads to to fit on the bed, but I'm going to give it a shot, that might be within my CAD abilities.

The rear brake pad has those ribs for support. I did not want to sacrifice much space on the back and so figured the ribs were the best design choice to limit the area needed to provide a strong support. I also figured it would involve less material. I would imagine the design adds to the print time too since there a lot of small moves there. This is something I will have a think over, maybe there is a better design choice like that of the front pad.

I think the rear ribs work well to add stability, what @George Iliev pointed out at the bottom of the pad is exactly what I was trying to reference. Also totally with him that I'd shoot you a tip if you had a place for it :).

Thank you both for your feedback. Apologies for such a late reply. @George Iliev I have tackled that rough stepping and have now smooth everything over. I am not sure why I left such rough edges there, a bit silly of me.

I am taking your opinions on board and have been playing with the design again. I am switching over to the split design for my wheel, I like the freedom to move the two pads independent of each other. I like to ride seated often and for both seated and standing my brake pad does not need to change position, but I would like to be able to move my front pads to make it more comfortable.

New_design.JPG

• Like 2

Looks good, in general a split design is better since it's easier to adjust to individual riding preference. My only concern is how well the pads will adhere to the wheel. The carpet tape I've been using is more than enough for the one piece design, but under hard braking I don't know if the split design will hold up.

• Like 1

Obvious approach--increasing the surface area of the split pieces, looks like you took a lot of material out of the middle when you did the split. Hacking a little out so there's room to adjust the pads independently makes sense, but you could afford to fill most of it back in and still be able to accommodate a lot of customization.

Happy to give the new design a whirl and see how it holds up, got a fresh roll of TPU to go through!

Perfect world I'd like to figure out how to adjust the one piece design to my preferences, A+ if you figure out a way to parametrize the relative distance/angle of the front and back pads in fusion.