Very Steep Hill - Going Down - Scary

OneWheel

Hi,

1) You should not go downward if you could not climb it upward.

2) It is often said in this forum that if you go downward with a fully charged battery, you can have a sudden shutdown.

2 hours ago, Gil said:

Hi,

1) You should not go downward if you could not climb it upward.

2) It is often said in this forum that if you go downward with a fully charged battery, you can have a sudden shutdown.

Wow wish I knew this before the first time attempting a long super steep downhill on my TG-T3.  I couldn't go up this hill only a little less than half way, but walked it up and rode it down instead.  It also had full battery... Luckily nothing happened to me but YMMV. 

I've gone down hills I cannot climb, but I'm FULLY aware that it might cut out at any moment.  Speed control is essential.  If you get going too fast, it causes you to brake harder which in turn will over work the cycle and make it even more possible for a shut down.  Plus you will need to wash your pants from the little bit of pee that happens from gaining too much speed on a steep hill.

I would not recommend doing it, but I'm taking responsibility for myself when I do.

PS:  I do 20 degree hills with no worry, but again, I keep my speed under control.  I even go down my 25 degree driveway, but it's hairy and I'm ready to run...

Nearly all my wheel cut outs have been going down hill and that means I go down hills very slowly now.

It takes more power to resist the momentum you build up going down a hill than it takes to climb the same hill so go carefully, slowly and even zig zag if necessary on the steeper bits.

My main problem in the past has been the small dips and ripples that tend to be almost invisible but increase the slope momentarily, this can easily become that last straw that breaks the camels back!

Archived