Motorcycle riders?

carboncanyon

Many bikes of many types, beginning about 3-4 decades ago. My first street bike was an '86 Katana 600r (I loved crashing that bike!). First dirt was a Rm125. Last BIG bike i sold was a cbr1100xx. I only have 1 bike left and its a drz400sm. It all began with hot-wheels and a tirke, then a pedal bicycle at 3yrs old and I guess it never quit. 1 wheel, 2 wheel, 3 wheel, 4 wheel, up to 18 wheels and none (flying)... love it all! Too many bikes to count and list, its bittersweet to even try.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

My first bike was a Yamaha 180 street bike, first trail bike was a Suzuki TS250, once I got an Rm 250, I was hooked tried others but nothing ever replaced that model. I’ve had a few road bikes Kawasaki 1000, Honda 450, and others. I now own an FZ1. Fastest bike I’ve ever owned. Never been beaten light to light. 

Actually the reason I got involved in the EUC was seeing a guy on a onewheel at the airport. He used it as an airport cruiser. Then just put it in the back of his plane and took off!

Once I started doing a little research I came across the EUC. For transportation and fun factor, there isn’t any competition between the onewheel and EUC.

• Like 2

My first bike was a Suzuki GT250 X7, I think it was a 1979 model.  It was very light with good acceleration (if you kept it in the power band) but nothing impressive when it came to top speed.  I had to put 2-stroke oil in the oil reservoir and normal petrol in the main tank.

Now I ride a 2017 CRF1000L Africa Twin.

• Like 1

Put me in this group, motorcycles have been number 1 for me my entire life.  Offroad, roadrace, trackday, trials, all of that, no more roadracing though (too expensive).  I like EUC's now just as much because to have fun on the street on a sportbike, I have to go waaaay too fast, I've been lucky all these years for the most part, EUC's give me almost the same thrill in a safer way, I'm still scared of EUC's where I'm not so scared of cycles, that can be dangerous...

• Like 3

19 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

My first bike was a Suzuki GT250 X7, I think it was a 1979 model.  It was very light with good acceleration (if you kept it in the power band) but nothing impressive when it came to top speed.  I had to put 2-stroke oil in the oil reservoir and normal petrol in the main tank.

Now I ride a 2017 CRF1000L Africa Twin.

Ahh, another Africa Twin rider, I had a 17 DCT, couldn't get my head around the DCT too much, everything I ride around here is pretty tight and technical, it'll do all that and maybe I didn't give a chance but I now have a 2020 1100 manual, killer motorcycles!

• Like 1

I was pretty crazy on street bikes and dirt bikes back in the day. I didn't realize that the twisty thing in my right hand had more than two positions. I am still alive today because I decided to swear off the stuff with sharp power bands. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

Ahh, another Africa Twin rider, I had a 17 DCT, couldn't get my head around the DCT too much, everything I ride around here is pretty tight and technical, it'll do all that and maybe I didn't give a chance but I now have a 2020 1100 manual, killer motorcycles!

Mine's a DCT, I bought it specifically to have DCT and I absolutely love it!  It is great on the twisties, I put it in Sport 3 and leave it up to the computer to keep me in the right gear while I control speed and enjoy the ride!  I can't see myself going back to a manual transmission.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KiwiMark said:

Mine's a DCT, I bought it specifically to have DCT and I absolutely love it!  It is great on the twisties, I put it in Sport 3 and leave it up to the computer to keep me in the right gear while I control speed and enjoy the ride!  I can't see myself going back to a manual transmission.

Wow, I couldnt fathom that. Sounds utterly terrible. Seems that most bikes, cars, trucks and even 18-wheelers are auto tranny nowadays, oh the horror :efef19744a:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

An automatic motorcycle?

Back when I raced dirt track a friend built a dirt car with an automatic transmission. I asked him how he could steer the thing without a clutch. The answer was, not so well. It seems to me that giving up the clutch would give up half your control. What if it shifts at the wrong time? ......Right there in the middle of a delicate maneuver -  Shift!!  Too much power or not enough! .... Scary!! ..... Nope !!   Not for me!!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

Gotcha, I really did enjoy mine, I have a few friends that still have their DCT's and love them.  I think the DCT is a fine motorcycle but the manual 1100 works better for me, plus it wheelies waaay easier:)  They (Honda) are going to be using the same base power plant in a new Rebel which if not de-tuned too much will be a badass little cruiser, AND there are some patents on a standard type platform maybe along the lines of the old Superhawk (yep, had that one too), if they make this bike, I'll have one, the 270 degree 1100 motor is an absolute jewel of an engine.

Biker myself. I currently work for a motorcycle dealership and have for the last 20ish years. Currently have 13 bikes, having just bought my first brand new one this year, a Husqvarna Svartpilen 701. I've also got a handful of Ducatis (two 888s, 900SS, 916, Monster 620), a Kawi 250, a Honda CL100, 2 Benelli minibikes, Yamaha TT-R 90e (love that little dirt bike), Cagiva Gran Canyon, and an HJM minibike. Absolutely into anything with wheels (even one wheel) and a motor. Saw a guy on an EUC ride by the shop one day and had to check it out. Just bought my Ninebot One C+ about a month ago and am seriously considering selling a bike or 3 to get a couple more EUCs. 

That being said, as I do work for a shop, if anyone has questions about gear or anything, feel free to ask. We have a good selection at both of our locations (both in VA) and I can order in quite a bit of stuff. I also know more than most about gear and the like and would be happy to impart any knowledge I can.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RockyTop said:

An automatic motorcycle?

Back when I raced dirt track a friend built a dirt car with an automatic transmission. I asked him how he could steer the thing without a clutch. The answer was, not so well. It seems to me that giving up the clutch would give up half your control. What if it shifts at the wrong time? ......Right there in the middle of a delicate maneuver -  Shift!!  Too much power or not enough! .... Scary!! ..... Nope !!   Not for me!!

Its customary nowadays for companies to make things easier, so less qualified people can enjoy the activity(or lazy qualified people). Why automatics in 18wheelers? Because it was too hard to find capable drivers that could even shift properly. Rather than uphold the qualifications and keeping highways safer, they make automatics so they can get butts in the seat. Personally, I think if you arent capable of the mechanics of a manual with clutch, one must question your abilities altogether. Making things easier to do, only affords the less skilled a chance to 'pretend' they can keep up with those who have mastered the skill required. You take away a clutch and gearing, you are removing a LOT of the available user input and relying on a computer. Ugh... no thanks. Last time my truck tried to kill me, was ABSOLUTELY transmission related, as it couldnt see the road nor its conditions, nor what I wanted from it. Stupid ass computers... My mistake for buying an automatic and I've regretted it since. Becoming part of the machine is a wondeful thing and learning the delicacies of shifting and changing the bike stance prior to curves is paramount. Motocyclists shouldnt need a shift light, tach or computer, they should FEEL the power curve and KNOW what each action will provide. How do you double down on turn entry to bow the suspension together while slipping the clutch to maintain the exact torque at the exact rpms, with an auto? Oh yeah, you can't!

@EUCRexy So what demographic is buying up those stupid 3 wheelers and automatic motorcycles? Is it the ladies? The old men? First time 'riders'? I'm guessing its mostly newbies and ladies, with the occassional burnout mixed in :).

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

So what demographic is buying up those stupid 3 wheelers and automatic motorcycles? Is it the ladies? The old men? First time 'riders'? I'm guessing its mostly newbies and ladies, with the occassional burnout mixed in :).

Lol. We're getting everyone and they mothers coming into look at them! We sell 3 varieties of 3-wheeled machines; Can-Am Ryker and Spider series, Polaris Slingshots, and the Vanderhall lineup, though the Vanderhalls and Slingshots are most definitely 3-wheeled cars. 

We get a lot of people who want to use the HOV lanes out here (DC Metro area), and the Spiders and Rykers qualify. When quarantine first stared, we couldn't keep them in stock, like, at all. The Rykers are all automatic, while you have the option for manual or semi-auto (thumb shifter button, auto downshift, you upshift) for the rest of the Spiders. It was primarily the... um... DC crowd... that bought them up first. People realized motorcycling is the OG social distancing activity, after all (never really want to be too close on a bike). After that, more people just wanted them for economic reasons; 50-60 mpg, low insurance costs, previously mentioned HOV allowances, etc. Definitely lots of n00bs who don't want to learn how to shift a real bike. A good number of women, yes, though I'm finding more women are interested in actual bikes, which is awesome.

I laughed when reading your comments about user input going away in lieu of computers. I have this conversation with noobs all the time. My Ducs have ZERO computer aids (other than the 888s, 916, amd M620 being EFI models). No ABS, no traction control, not even a slipper clutch. You really need to have a good feel for those bikes or they'll chew you up and spit you out before you know what hit ya. A lot of noobs lately are into the older machines but are opting to buy a new bike with all this fun electrical aids. I have to remind people that when they finally get that wonderful 1990's sportbike from their childhood, it will be a completely different beast, and not that easy to ride. 

• Like 1

DCT/Manual discussion found its way here, amazing! I love using my DCT in manual mode :)

I am thinking of ways to mount my KS16S as a side pannier securely. I have Givi Monokey racks on my AT. Has anyone did something like that? 

On 12/28/2020 at 4:02 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

My mistake for buying an automatic and I've regretted it since. Becoming part of the machine is a wondeful thing and learning the delicacies of shifting and changing the bike stance prior to curves is paramount. Motocyclists shouldnt need a shift light, tach or computer, they should FEEL the power curve and KNOW what each action will provide. How do you double down on turn entry to bow the suspension together while slipping the clutch to maintain the exact torque at the exact rpms, with an auto? Oh yeah, you can't!

@EUCRexy So what demographic is buying up those stupid 3 wheelers and automatic motorcycles? Is it the ladies? The old men? First time 'riders'? I'm guessing its mostly newbies and ladies, with the occassional burnout mixed in :).

Like most of you guys, I've rode an assortment of street and dirt bikes, but more street than dirt for me. I had a CB350 Four cylinder (a rare jewel), a 77 Kawasaki 650, Honda XR250 and NX250, 84 Honda GoldWing 1100 Interstate, and Yamaha FJR1300. But now, a CanAm Ryker, so sign me up as an old man burnout for reasons explained here.  

However, my 4 wheel transportation is all manual stick shift cars. Recently I bought an automatic V6 Camaro for commuting. But like your truck, the auto tranny did not do right by me. I liked everything else about the car, the looks, the engine, the ergonomics (don't have the blind spot issues articles mention, my head must be a perfect height). So I had to search far and wide for a stick-shift V6 model because they are getting so rare. Also drive a late model stick-shift Mustang GT, and stick-shift Focus.

On 12/28/2020 at 6:23 PM, RetroThruster said:

Sounds crazy but if I were to do another auto motorcycle (besides electric which is awesome btw), I'd get a Can Am Ryker Rally, not a true motorcycle but close, don't know why but those things look cool as heck, I've had way over 100 bikes so I'm all about trying new stuff, my problem is space so I can only keep 3 or 4 at a time, at my age, I don't get too caught up in sentimental value anymore, when it sits, it's sold...

Same here, trying new stuff, and not ready to give up wind therapy. I got a little misty eyed :crying:, but only for a minute, when I traded the FJR in for the Ryker Rally. I'm all good now! I got the Ryker just to stick my toe in the 3 wheel world. I'll ride it a bit more this spring and see if it really suits me. It is a whole different bit of body language involved with those. If I'm eventually into it, I'm thinking of trading the Ryker for the naked Spider ... don't need the bags ... and the naked one looks nicer to me ... sportier.

Feeling the power of EUC's has gotten me interested in electric motorcycles, and that might be the draw the puts me back on two wheels. They fit my riding style. 1 to 2 hours of wind therapy on weekends is all I usually want. Back in the day I would be out all day on a bike, but now my rear end and bladder tell me when I'm done for the day. Yea, you can make a bladder pit stop. But the rear end needs more than a pit stop can provide!

6 hours ago, Herman said:

I am thinking of ways to mount my KS16S as a side pannier securely. I have Givi Monokey racks on my AT. Has anyone did something like that? 

No real answers provided, but a similar discussion was started here. You should enjoy the read.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
14 hours ago, mearchd said:

Maybe an electric bike is a better choice, which is much more friendly to the enviroment

Gas>Lithium :)  Electric bikes are cool, but it still reminds me more of a heavy ass bicycle than a motorcycle. I was prolly just born a hair too early I guess.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 4 months later...

I used to ride a Kawasaki EX500 then a ZX636. But as much as I loved motorcycling, I could not accept the risk of other people’s behavior, and track days were too time consuming and expensive so I just stopped riding. Later on I tried the MSF class for off road riding and actually I thought that was safer but I didn’t buy a dirt bike. More than a decade later I found EUCs and they remind me a little bit of motorcycling, including the zen state when riding. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yup!

Kawasaki Ninja 300 (sold), Kawasaki Z650, KTM 390 Adventure

Can echo sentiments on EUCs and motorcycles being one of the few vehicles that bring joy while riding. They are very different but I think they stimulate similar parts of brain-mind-body connection

• Like 3

I have a naked Suzuki Bandit 1250 but I dont ride much anymore. I had a dicey moment a couple of years ago where I overcooked a blind, decreasing radius right hander curve on thhe Bandit and was carried right into the oncoming lane at full speed. I felt sure I was going to die, like I was ONE HUNDRED PERCENT SURE I was going to die. Thankfully there was no car in sight in the oncoming lane when I made it around the corner, but that really put a fright in me. I prefer riding my EUC now on warm sunny days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've owned quite a wide variety of bikes. Mostly big bikes like Guzzi Californias, BMW GS's and Yamaha XJR's. Then I switched to scooters as I was mostly riding in the city and a scooter like the Gilera Runner 180SP scooter was as quick as any sports bike in town. After 4 years of it being raced every day it just fell to pieces and I figured I should go for something more sensible so I bought my first Vespa and rode those for almost a decade. Then the kids started trying to steal them (sometimes while I was actually riding it!) and I figured I would have a more relaxing ride if I went back to motorbikes. I don't go for sports bikes because I have very little self control (and I don't find them comfortable). I currently have a Royal Enfield Pegasus which I love even though it's incredibly slow and an NC750X which is the motorbike that most people need but few actually want. I also still have my 20 year old Vespa GT200.

• Like 1