Cold weather riders - heated gear?

FinRider

On 12/19/2020 at 10:51 PM, FreezingAussie said:

As someone dealing with a Finnish winter for the first time, I can say that merino thermals as @johnyz89 suggested work great for around 0 degrees at least. My full setup is wool thermals (top and bottom), a wool sweater, some cheap insulated pants I got second hand, and a rain jacket over top to block the wind. And then I have some snowboarding gloves with built in wrist guards, though the guards feel worryingly thin. I'm always toasty on my 10k ride to the shops at least, we'll see how I go as the winter continues!

What the hell is an Aussie doing in Uusikylä? 
Tokmanni have some inexpensive heated vests which I am thinking of giving a go if we ever get any proper winter weather :) 

7 hours ago, David Reeves said:

What the hell is an Aussie doing in Uusikylä? 

Fair question! I moved here with my girlfriend, but my new job is doing remote work for the moment, so we're staying in her hometown, where it's lovely and cheap.

8 hours ago, David Reeves said:

Tokmanni have some inexpensive heated vests which I am thinking of giving a go if we ever get any proper winter weather :) 

Ah nice, I'm still waiting on that 'proper' winter. I was promised -15 at least!

15 hours ago, FreezingAussie said:

Fair question! I moved here with my girlfriend, but my new job is doing remote work for the moment, so we're staying in her hometown, where it's lovely and cheap.

Ah nice, I'm still waiting on that 'proper' winter. I was promised -15 at least!

Unfortunately proper winter seems to get later every year, first winter I was here back in 2001 it was -25 at Christmas :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 8:15 PM, Finn Bjerke said:

... heated soles in the shoes. 

That sounds interesting. How big difference it makes? And do cheap ones works good enough (under $40), or is it a thrown out money?

https://www.ebay.com/b/Battery-Heated-Socks/bn_7024908549

This is called "intelligent heat for women"  think about it, maybe they have it for dogs too? ... but it is good riding is better also I lovethin thin flat soled shoes for better footpedal contact. I love my VANs but they are summer shoes, the winter flat soled sakter semiboots I have are terrible, made of plastic.   However the studded pedals I use now makes warmer thick soled MC boots more OK to wear. I still recommend this, OK thermo socks is another thing that need charging ? Yes.  

wintersock, Cotton Socks, feetwarmer, Electric

Edited by Finn Bjerke
  • Like 1

(Silly) helmet covers are very good too.  Here is Hugh Hefner style, but off course wool inside helmet is much better than this idiotic outfit, but I dont mind looking funny.   

5961706fb38e9ae87f2b0cf1fc5a30c5.jpg

Inside helmet warmer is very nice too, more relevant actually: 3eb9a2d802d1fff0f9f467d42be29926.jpg

If someone wanted to experience heated soles before spending too much money on it, you can get the disposable ones for cheap to try it out -- https://amazon.com/HotHands-Insole-Warmers-Adhesive-5-Pairs/dp/B007BI45KK/

Then if you find it worth it you could get more expensive electric ones.

• Like 1