Excited

MonsieurBadgerCheese

2 hours ago, Keith said:

One thing I learned the hard way is once you are able to move forward also practice stopping quickly as well. I had a car suddenly turn into its drive across the pavement without signalling, even though I was quite slow I ended up landing heavily on my rump as I tried to stop before hitting the car - I certainly stopped quick enough but I don't recommend it as a braking method?.

+1

I did the same thing.  Practiced slowing and stopping, but didn't practice emergency stops enough.  A car came out and I almost crashed trying to avoid it.  Now that I've practiced, I'm pretty comfortable when something spooks me.  Like a Ghost or a Grass Hopper. :P

Bonjour,

Unfortunately it has taken until today for me to have a second attempt.

Thanks to all of your help and advice - a marked improvement. I went with a friend (as suggested), who also wanted to have a go. First we tried the 'hanging onto a wall method' - with some success, but quickly swapped onto 'using the other guy's shoulder for support', as he walked (even jogged - a bit) along side. This  - to me anyway was so much easier.

After 20 mins or so, I could get on and travel in a straight line with my my friends shoulder to grab, and further, unsupported, for 5 or 10m before falling off. I was happy with this progress at this stage.

Annoyingly, after a similar length of time, my friend was hopping on, straight line, turning and stopping -  all unaided! But he's always been a smart-a**e ;)

MBC

PS. What's the feeling about using a strap to 'catch' the wheel as you come off it, until technique improves? I've seen mixed opinions. Helps to reduce damage, but can't put both arms out to balance. I'm off to have another go!

1 hour ago, MonsieurBadgerCheese said:

PS. What's the feeling about using a strap to 'catch' the wheel as you come off it, until technique improves? I've seen mixed opinions. Helps to reduce damage, but can't put both arms out to balance. I'm off to have another go!

You covered it, Good and Bad.  I used it for a couple rides, but it felt like it inhibited my ability to control the balance.  Now that I'm comfortable with balance, I could go back to it with no problems, but so far, Knock on Wood, I have not crashed it, so I'll go without.

If you've already got balance down a little, I'd say go without.  Maybe cover the Wheel in padding until you are proficient.

Archived