Excited

MonsieurBadgerCheese

Congratulations on the purchase.

My advice: Read alot. There is tons of good advice in this forum and watch videos on youtube.

Be patient wth the learning. It takes some time, some people get it fast others take more time. It took me about a week of practice to get to a minimum skill. You'll find that the more you ride, the better you get at it. There has been people (even on this forum) that were about to give up on it. Don't give up, keep on practicing. There comes a point were it just clicks and becomes natural.

One last advice: WEAR PROTECTION: Helmet, knee, elbow and wrists.

Good luck!

Where did you buy it from? I live in Spain, but bought mine from High'tems near Paris. Great service, they helped me well with some problems and everything is rolling fine now.

One last advice: be careful with the firmware version. If your ninebot is on 1.2.6 or 1.2.9, update it inmediately. These are dangerous versions and will blow the motherboard and send you to the hospital (happened to me). Latest 1.3.0 seems to be safe from the comments on the forum.

20 minutes ago, MonsieurBadgerCheese said:

Thanks very much indeed for your advice, and encouragement. I think it will be a steep learning curve. Got myself knee-pads, elbow-pads, shin-guards. wrist-protectors and a helmet! Good start, I guess!

I live in Lyon, France, which seems to be very EUC friendly!

MBC

Probably the most important other tip is choose the location of your 'maiden voyage' well. Preferably flat ground, with plenty of space (e.g. Deserted tennis court, or big driveway if you have one.). The general rule (at least at first) is that it's harder the slower you go so you want somewhere with decent space.

Some people like to start on grass but unless you're talking about a grass tennis court that might actually be harder as the ground will likely be uneven and could even be dangerous if even slightly wet.

You'll love it ?

I bought from here in Lyon. Friendly and local. Offer of free lessons if I want (which I probably do).

Thanks for the advice about the Firmware. I've been reading the threads, and already updated to 1.3.0.

MBC

Great advice, Paddylaz. Thanks!

I was thinking of starting in our underground parking area. Smooth, flat, but most of all - no one can see me!

MBC

Well done on your purchase, once you have a month on it you'll begin to love it. 

Basically I started from square one a month back, and have plenty of small bumps on my ankle and shin to prove it. What I did was start somewhere close to home, hold onto a pole or fence, hop onto it and slowly roll a couple of metres fwd and then roll back.....do this for a while to get the feeling of weight movement required to move it.

find an open space somewhere, hold a pole or fence and try to glide fwd and see how far you can get....with me I found that on day 3 I could roll about 5 mtrs without coming off, then by the end of the 30 min session Id stretched that out to 15 mtrs without coming off it - I knew at that stage I was slowly gettting it.

Make sure you use the tape on your 9bot as YOU WILL SCUFF IT UP.

In week 2 I decided after reading advice on here to try it on grass, and found that it definitely helped me, as I wasnt so concerned about falling, and also I wasnt concerned about damaging the unit.

i didnt ride it every day as work gets in the way, but gradually over the last cpl of weeks ive really grabbed the idea of it, and now ride it in Melbourne CBD without an issue...im still careful around people and traffic, but we have many bike paths and tarred tracks which makes it easier to get the hang of it.

ive now taken the padding off the unit and am enjoying riding it even more as Im not worried about any scuff marks as it already has a couple...

im sure you'll get it, and love it

enjoy

Welcome sir, what others have said - read, read, and then read some more ;) plenty on the Ninebot log to get through.

Search out SpeedyFeet's you-tube videos / website etc. on how to ride.  Very informative and cover everything you need to know right from learning the first steps to stripping the unit down for maintenance etc. :)

MBC, I only started learning in early November (on a KingSong) and I'd say, if you have them, a pair of boots with thick hiking socks are a good idea, especially this time of year. Boots will protect your ankles and with thick long socks also protect your calf muscles, both of which take a bit of punishment at first as it takes some time to learn you don't need to grip the wheel too tightly. Wrist protection is often forgotten but, if you do fall, you will instinctively put your hands out to protect yourself.

Some people say holding onto a shopping cart and driving around will help, but for me it did not feel right.  I had already ridden a HoverBoard, so the Auto Balance Sensation was already there, so the only thing left was balancing left and right.  I got it in about 5 minutes, but I'm sure that's not normal.  I hope it is for you though.  It did take about 5-6 longer rides to be able to fully relax, and you will know when that happens.  Your turns are smoother, you can go really slow, and your legs don't hurt nearly as much.  I'm now comfortable turning fully where the foot pads drag.  Probably a 3 foot circle in either direction.

Inside of legs will hurt a lot until you are able to relax, then it's a breeze.  My feet and legs still ache on long rides, but I think that's my health issues.

7 hours ago, Colestien said:

The only thing I can think to add is....If you have someone to walk or jogging beside you.  Everyone I have helped by doing this has pick it up faster than those of us that tried it Solo.

Very true.  It was the same teaching people the HoverBoard.  A couple minutes as opposed to 1/2 hour.

14 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Some people say holding onto a shopping cart and driving around will help, but for me it did not feel right.  I had already ridden a HoverBoard, so the Auto Balance Sensation was already there, so the only thing left was balancing left and right.  I got it in about 5 minutes, but I'm sure that's not normal.  I hope it is for you though.  It did take about 5-6 longer rides to be able to fully relax, and you will know when that happens.  Your turns are smoother, you can go really slow, and your legs don't hurt nearly as much.  I'm now comfortable turning fully where the foot pads drag.  Probably a 3 foot circle in either direction.

Inside of legs will hurt a lot until you are able to relax, then it's a breeze.  My feet and legs still ache on long rides, but I think that's my health issues.

I tried using a shopping cart as there was conveniently one in my car park. The shopping cart helped me find my balance and whats it feels like to ride. You just need to practice on balancing and stand straight as I found myself constantly bending forward.

Don't forget to bend your knees and feel the road. When you start riding on  sidewalk the knees will absorb the impact from the imbalance road.

Do a review on the device too I am planning to upgrade to 9b next year 

I remember my first attempts. While struggling to keep balance I would instinctly bend forward waving my arms in the air, resulting in greater and uncontrolled speeds. Great crashes those days !! 

Definitely, one of the first things to learn is speed control.

MBC,

It will come, the catch 22 is that the slower you are moving the harder it is, but, at first you are too scared to go any faster. Use a pillar, lamppost, tree, anything to steady yourself and get both feet comfortable on the rests, try moving slowly forwards and backwards still holding onto the post so you get the feel for what drives the wheel. As others have suggested if you can "borrow" a friendly shoulder to run along next to you that wil really help. 

It is worth pointing out, feet should not be centred on the rests, ideally it is your legs that are centred with your toes overhanging the front of the rests. If you centre your feet (equal overhang of the feet either end) then your weight is too far back and you tend to slow down rather than accelerate.

One thing I learned the hard way is once you are able to move forward also practice stopping quickly as well. I had a car suddenly turn into its drive across the pavement without signalling, even though I was quite slow I ended up landing heavily on my rump as I tried to stop before hitting the car - I certainly stopped quick enough but I don't recommend it as a braking method?.

try practicing 'stepping':

inside of the lower leg (dominant leg, f.ex. right leg) blocked against the EUC tilting the EUC to the 'stepping' side, try to take a step with the weak leg (left leg) while keeping a straight line.

This way you'll be riding 0.5meter each time on one leg, keeping the EUC tilted toward the stepping leg;

When you manage to take a 1m step like this, you'll have more than enough time to put your weak leg on the EUC. The opposite will also work: you'll be able to ride for one meter bearing your weight only on the dominant leg while slowing down, and you'll have more than enough time to put your weak leg on the ground gracefully.

This is the hardest part, riding a straight line is easy once you have enough speed.

be safe

Archived