A flaw in Inmotion safety alarms for V10/V10F and V11, demonstrated

supercurio

• supercurio changed the title to A flaw in Inmotion safety alarms for V10/V10F and V11, demonstrated

Great video, very well articulated! I hope Inmotion watches this and does internal analysis of their safety mechanisms. They also need to take a look at the tilt-back on the V11 at high speeds which happens very slowly.

• Like 1

Good point @Rawnei and @Freestyler, since the alarms can be delayed significantly, tilt back becomes the only method the wheel can communicate its status with the rider.

Although the V10 and V11 have slightly different tiltback characteristics, they are both lacking in consistency and effectiveness. 

Including in this video, where tiltback gets disabled every time because the acceleration is not continuous and steady. The pedals tilt forward instead, while the alarm can't ring.

Delays and transitions between states need complete rework as various conditions end up disabling both safety alert systems. 

• Like 1

What you explain is clearly demonstrated in your video.  Thanks for making that and sharing with the community.  

My experience with the V10F is having a "Please get off" warning where the wheel goes into a permanent tilt back that forces me off the wheel.  Then I have to shut the wheel off before it self balances again.  I am attributing it to colder weather but I am not sure what it means.  It seems to happen as I reach a hill and try to accelerate up it. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Kekafuch, when making recording that video, with very little experience talking to the camera by myself I wasn't sure the message would come across. 

Same as you during this winter! I got about 4-5 "overload, please get off" with final tiltback when riding at usual, but near freezing temperature, mostly in uphill sections in conditions where battery sag accumulated rapidly. 

At my weight (65kg) it never happened before then. One time a car was right behind me which was awkward.

It's a good safety to have instead of an overlean, but in some cases I would prefer beeps to know to reduce my speed and acceleration in order to avoid triggering it since you have to handle a marked tiltback and get off. 

As I agree with this, from my experience INMOTION is still far safer than any other EUC company.  Inexperience not understanding the limits of the wheel is user error.  Of course INMOTION can push farther development to make the wheel safer but any wheel can be made to cut out.  Accelerating to keep up with traffic near max speed is not an excuse.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wraith Rider said:

As I agree with this, from my experience INMOTION is still far safer than any other EUC company.  Inexperience not understanding the limits of the wheel is user error.  Of course INMOTION can push farther development to make the wheel safer but any wheel can be made to cut out.  Accelerating to keep up with traffic near max speed is not an excuse.  

I agree the V10F appears to be pretty safe as baseline - ignoring this alarm issue.
With conservative speed limits at all battery voltages for instance, I found the pedals to be really solid and never dipping, which my 16X does before beeping in some scenarios.
You can see it in this video, I stomp on the pedals pretty hard, generating power peaks of 2500W+ and it doesn't bulge aside from the normal give of "commuter mode" (medium/soft mode for other manufacturers)

However when you say "Accelerating to keep up with traffic near max speed is not an excuse" for the Bump on the road scenario described earlier, that's where it's easy to miss what can happen then as side-effect.

Since the beep is disabled for 5 seconds after being triggered by the bump, the rider doesn't know he/she is riding near max speed.
There's no doubt that if the rider was ignoring a warning then, a cutout would be rider error.
But in this situation, there's no warning.
Especially when navigating traffic around other vehicles the perception of speed is altered, and it is difficult to guess if the current speed is close to or at the maximum - unless being told by the wheel.

13 hours ago, Wraith Rider said:

That's a weird take, as presented in this thread there's evidence of the safety mechanisms not working as intended, it has nothing to do with experience or user error.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...