Pedal upgrades: grip tape, studs, spikes

Greetings fellow EUC fans.

This video from Vee really inspired me:  Its a bout spiked foot pedals for better grip, and boy do I need go get a grip. I want to buy these and I know rehab1 makes em, maybe other producers? Anyways where can I get these pedals for my MSX and soon for my Monster too. Maybe even the suspension wheel Ill get in a year or so?  Sorry is "studded" er better word for this? Looks like the kind of things they use in Norway for EUC and MTB etc. (YES they do have studded EUCs in Norway they are used to snow and Ice and you really cant hold Norwegians back.)

Edited by RagingGrandpa
additional info

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Low-Battery said:

Grizzly grip stamp grip tape is the best.  The type of shoes you wear on the grip tape can help keep you from sliding off.  

I live in snow country and wear my Merrell boots. I looked on the Grizzly site and didn’t see anything that has studs. Am I missing something? 

Once the wet snow builds up you don’t have any traction on the peddles. If the studded grip tape doesn’t work I’ll try installing studs like Rehab1. Rather stick to the deck than having to get out a scraper all the time. I really like the Nylonove, and IM hex pedals, but they are pretty pricey, and I haven’t heard back from either of them. 

• Like 1

I like riding off road and have a similar problem. Once the dirt build up is at the level of the sand on the tape there is no grip left. 

I can only imagine snow is worse and happens faster. I can go on a full ride and then brush out the dirt from the sand paper.

• 2 months later...

ditto on the liking the Xtremegrip studded tape. Very pleased with it in the snow—dirt and mud season is approaching so I'll see how it fares there but so far it's stuck me to the pedals (it sheds the snow/slush so it doesn't compact into an icy mess between the studs), and has itself stayed stuck to the pedals. The only place it's peeling off is where a stud nearest the hinge catches my roll.nz when the pedal closes. I'll just cut out the row nearest the hinge, it's right on the edge and my foot doesn't ever get there anyway.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

Replaced all my wheels with coarse Vicious Griptape. Easy to replace (though my 2 left thumbs still manage to drop my S18 offa workbench🥴) & is miles better than stock. Would love to tryout the new honeycomb studs pedals but too rich for my taste esp if I have to replace a few wheels.

Highly impressed with it & an easy recco for anyone.

Get the stuff made for skateboards. One sheet for a longboard lasts like 10 times longer than gotway original, and there's enough for 12 pedals. Amazing stuff.

Only when you ride on wet muddy/snowy surfaces you need studs to be safe.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 8:10 PM, Mac said:

I live in snow country and wear my Merrell boots. I looked on the Grizzly site and didn’t see anything that has studs. Am I missing something? 

Once the wet snow builds up you don’t have any traction on the peddles. If the studded grip tape doesn’t work I’ll try installing studs like Rehab1. Rather stick to the deck than having to get out a scraper all the time. I really like the Nylonove, and IM hex pedals, but they are pretty pricey, and I haven’t heard back from either of them. 

I too am waiting to hear back about the nylanove pedals. Of course, NOW I'm waiting to hear back from you too!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry guys, I’ve been pretty busy over the last 8 months. But I’ve put plenty of miles on the studded grip tape and it worked great in the snow and now with running shoes during the summer. I’m convinced I made the right choice. I saved a bundle and I really don’t notice them. I never feel that the wheel moves under my feet like they did before. Especially in the snow, on the trails, stairs and jumps. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Looking to get some new pedals for my S18 and I've seen quite a few selections but not sure if they are sold on trustworthy sites or good quality. For example, these pedals are the ones I'm interested in. I never heard of AliExpress and I'm kinda new to off market modifications.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003135754704.html?algo_pvid=1489cb19-0bb3-4da2-87a3-dc97b8931842&algo_exp_id=1489cb19-0bb3-4da2-87a3-dc97b8931842-8

If any you have suggestions or sites where I can buy more S18 modifications or accessories that would be appreciated.

• Like 2

Heh, same question I asked here.... 

Not many choices, those on Ali seem to be the most avaialable.  I've since spiked my stock pedals with good results, so I'm going to ride it a bit as-is before going aftermarket.

• Like 1

I should receive the pedals in the link today, will report back.

I have used the "Chaput" (great for the price, spiked) pedals as well as Nylonove (webbed, expensive, narrower, with bolts) but was really looking for wider pedals, hopefully those do the trick, they are 14cm from wheel to edge.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EUC Forest said:

I should receive the pedals in the link today, will report back.

I have used the "Chaput" (great for the price, spiked) pedals as well as Nylonove (webbed, expensive, narrower, with bolts) but was really looking for wider pedals, hopefully those do the trick, they are 14cm from wheel to edge.

Very cool, thanks!

• mrelwood changed the title to Studded pedal grip tape? (Original title: “Quick question.”)