Puncture proof tire liners?

TheMasterSword

I haven't tried liners on my EUC (don't want to mess with the tire any more than mandatory, I understand they're "challenging") but did use them way back when on road bikes. In the days when high pressure tires were called "sew ups", we used two things to try to reduce punctures: a brush that swept debris from the outside of the tire, and tire liners. It's difficult to know if anything worked, but the theory was that the brush would remove sharp objects (thorns/glass) from the tread so they didn't get jammed further into the tire each time the wheel went around. Sounded reasonable. The liners were also supposed to help against sharps that did work their way into the "tread" (a sew up was basically tire cord with a thin-as-possible coat of rubber to help it run smoother, it had no tread at all) but mostly were to keep nails/tacks/staples at bay. I only had a couple of flats, so I like to think that something was helping.

I'd wager that because an EUC tire has real tread it's better protected against small debris (glass slivers etc.) and the concern is more about staples/nails/tacks. Since that's what liners were for, they should still help as long as you get the sharp out of the tire before it works its way through the liner. Having a liner is almost certainly better than not, I don't know if it's worth taking your wheel apart just to add one but if you're already in there, why not?

Edited by Tawpie
wordsmith