High pedal Sherman?

null

There where some rumours of higher pedals on the Sherman, and a guy over at the French forum says his are as high as the MSX. Could it be him being high? This sounds quite an extreme lift, anyone can confirm this? I never saw a Sherman that looked any higher than my early production..

edit: Not something I wish for, I like then low.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, null said:

There where some rumours of higher pedals on the Sherman, and a guy over at the French forum is claiming his are as hight as the MSX. This sounds quite an extreme lift, anyone can confirm this? I never saw a Sherman that looked any higher than my early production..

These rumours seem a little hard to believe IMHO, even though I even read somewhere that someone claimed Linnea Lin had also confirmed the pedals are being raised!!! 

Considering how the pedals integrate/connect with the Roll bars and the pedals themselves fit into a purpose made cut-out in the side shells, a hell of a lot of re-tooling has to take place just for the pedal height to be raised by any significant amount! 

Basically, the pedal hangers would obviously need to be modified/re-made - the Roll bars would need to be altered/shortened to fit - and Most costly for Veteran, New moulds would need to be made for casting/pressing out New side panels in order to raise the cut-out the pedals nestle into when closed (and accommodate the changes to the shortened Pedal hangers/Roll bars)! 

Now of course I could be totally wrong and Veteran really is willing to make All these changes at their expense to accommodate whatever number of current owners that complain of pedal scrapes, but bear in mind that this height change would possibly Also be at the expense of the Sherman's amazing stability Too! (something I personally would prefer Not to Loose/compromise on)

My 2 cents!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

You all have no clue, of course the Sherman has higher pedals than Gotway MSX / MSP. :furious:

Here's the proof and now I want to see how you can talk yourselves into it. :roflmao:

Smart-Select-20201205-012813-Samsung-Not

Edited by buell47
  • Like 3

@fbhb I hope they didn't.

They could raise the whole housing by shortening the pedal hangers and put the hanger screws higher up. This would keep the changes on the pedal hanger which is machined anyway.

It would get more top heavy though and the lower pedals are part of its quality IMO.
I asked if he could make a photo as I never saw such a thing..

@brockj : Hard to compare with mine as I have street tyre now and there is some perspective in your pic. On mine the lowest part of the pedal hanger is almost in line with the inside of the wheel rim. On yours it looks like there is more space between the two, but it could be the perspective.. I doubt they'd raise it by just 5mm so its probably the same.

Untitled.jpg

Mine is like press photo, almost same level: (perfectly straight view)

VetShermPedalHeight.jpg.f6f295ca76a721100fba91b11537f5e2.jpg

Edited by null
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, null said:

@fbhb I hope they didn't.

Most Definitely, Me Too!

Wow, that looks... quite different vs the gap I see. This is a straight-down shot with the wheel on its side, flat on my table: PXL-20201205-050931866.jpg

And here's a closer look at the cutout they made on the side to accommodate the (higher?) pedal hanger.
PXL-20201205-050828346.jpg

1 hour ago, brockj said:

Wow, that looks... quite different vs the gap I see. This is a straight-down shot with the wheel on its side, flat on my table: PXL-20201205-050931866.jpg

That looks like the exact same height everyone that has an existing Sherman would probably attest to, if taking a photo from the very same perspective! 

I've just had a quick look at mine whilst it is sitting perfectly square/level on it's stand and would categorically state it looks identical to your photo! 

My Sherman arrived in New Zealand on 03/11/2020 after being ordered on the 16/09/2020 and EUC World identifies it as: LK1407, for build date reference!

As @null mentioned in his earlier post, the perspective in previous photos Does Not give a true gauge of the height measurement, possibly with his photos/comparison with press photos too! 

Edited by fbhb

12 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

I think all they'd have to do is change the location of the motor hole/move it downwards.

Everything else should be able to stay the same, unless the new hole conflicts with the motor mounting holes.

That option would definitely conflict with the mounting holes and the slot that takes the 2 axle shims in order to gain any real height change, so No Go unfortunately!

129722226_2789828494573445_2436598882239

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

Hello, I think I am the high man from the french forum ;)

I don't know if the pedals are higher than before, as I only have my model so I can't compare. But I was waiting for a wheel with low pedals as it was often described like this, and it seems not. Could you guys confirm me if it's higher than before? I get 16.5 centimeters (6.5 inches if i'm not wrong with the conversion) from the ground to the pedal (on the outside). Here are so pictures af the Sherman and the MSX side by side. If there is a difference, it's mainly the v-shape on the MSX, excpet for that detail they seem the same height to me...

If they really made it higher, i wonder how they did it, it must not be an esay modification :efeff54d4a:

Precision: I have the street / slick tire, it should not help with height by itself I think compared to the huge knobby one ! 

I had to let the wheels on the walls to get my hands free for the photo. The sherman pedal looks higher on the picture but if i keep both very straight, they look just a  bit lower by less than one millimeter, due to the v-shape on the MSX pedals.

Edited by Matthieu Thegrey
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing, the height looks similar between the two indeed.
Whether one is low or the other high.. Strange.

The pedal hanger bottom does look like its on the same height vs the rim as the V1 press photo.

Edited by null

On 12/5/2020 at 8:06 AM, fbhb said:

That option would definitely conflict with the mounting holes and the slot that takes the 2 axle shims in order to gain any real height change, so No Go unfortunately!

They could raise a good +1 cm without conflicting other the six fixation though, or +3 and up..
(I'll check dimensions on mine when I have time, it is open anyway)

Edited by null

is it not possible to just machine simple blocks to raise the height?I buy for most of my motorcycles, aluminum blocks that raise and lower by an 1" or more. It doesnt raise the inner most mount point, but it does raise pegs. Maybe a simple pedal design that incorporates this lift? I'm just tossing guesses, but it would be pretty nifty if adjusting this height was merely a matter of installing an intermediate mounting block or pedal set. As I recall, some of my bikes had forward and rear adjustment blocks available, all just cut a little differently and oyu could flip each over for 2 choices. I do agree the sherm has pretty low pedals, but not way too low. I also would fear what a drastic increase in height would do to its stablity. Never know until you try tho, and its not like we're talking 6"+. At least for mine, its not the mounting point that drags, its the pedal edges.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

They allready did the rise..this new batch ariving on the maket will have the rise..I bet it wouldn't be more then 1cm....I have rised 1cm my mcm5 v1 (with different pillars custom made) and it becomes more nimble  and also did not change other factors...It become a better wheel.I am looking into someone post some pics with new batch.

Ali Express seller's have started listing the New pedal height models available for sale, apparently a 5cm increase!

I'm Not convinced it is actually a 5cm (50mm) increase, as that would most likely have a HUGE impact on the current Sherman's outstanding stability:

H0410b67cb8d7440db05def2a3e328a6eW.jpeg

I plan on replacing the Standard pedals with the NyloNove "Veteran Sherman Adjustable XL" studded pedals, once they are available for sale, as they will offer the added ground clearance I need without compromising the Sherman's handling! 

Edited by fbhb

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

Ali Express seller's have started listing the New pedal height models available for sale, apparently a 5cm increase!

I'm Not convinced it is actually a 5cm (50mm) increase, as that would most likely have a HUGE impact on the current Sherman's outstanding stability:

H0410b67cb8d7440db05def2a3e328a6eW.jpeg

I plan on replacing the Standard pedals with the NyloNove "Veteran Sherman Adjustable XL" studded pedals, once they are available for sale, as they will offer the added ground clearance I need without compromising the Sherman's handling! 

Is this correct, or just more hype? "above data for reference only...." sounds suspect as hell to me. Can we not get an official response from Veteran about this? I too looked at pedal upgrades, but a simple change in angle isnt exactly an increase in height. These nylon pedals are around $200 aint they? WHew, thats a lot of cheddar for some nylon6! 5cm would make an incredible difference.  Don't know if its a difference worth selling at a loss and rebuying over, however.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Is this correct, or just more hype? Can we not get an official response from Veteran about this? I too looked at pedal upgrades, but a simple change in angle isnt exactly an increase in height. These nylon pedals are around $200 aint they? WHew, thats a lot of cheddar for some nylon6! 5cm would make an incredible difference.  Don't know if its a difference worth selling at a loss and rebuying over, however.

Hey @ShanesPlanet, I don't know what to make of All this talk of Veteran officially raising the pedal height and the Actual increase dimension to be honest!  It's Always a Major Ordeal trying to get clarification from the Chinese manufacturers, lol.

The images I posted Only just appeared on Ali in the last day or so, but the Actual dimensions/tape measure readings shown does Not look like any increase At All to me! Yes 5cm, if true would be a Big lift, but I don't really want it At The Expense of stability, I just want clearance and Not a Big height change! (The NyloNove are Also a lot slimmer at the edges, as shown in Adam Wrong Way's latest video in the snow, where he's actually able to turn within 1 metre!)

I agree, that the NyloNove pedals are costly, but whatever Veteran have done to lift the height could possibly be a fairly costly upgrade to our Original Sherman's that's if it is even to be made available as a retro-fit!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

Hello Guys,

Info I received today : 

The height of the pedals would be raised by 1 cm (info from my dealer requested directly from Veteran).

The height on my August 2020 Sherman is 13.5 cm (height between the pedal axle and the ground) and 18 cm at the outer end of the pedal. (Edit : little mistake in first mesures I gave 12.5 and 17 cm. When I had a discussion this week again on Sherman height I realized the 0 is 1 cm above the ground on my pictures)

According to my contact the image posted above is wrong. The diagram is not clear (12.5 cm is the current Sherman and 15.8 cm would be the Sherman raised, so +3.3 cm but this information is not confirmed by Veteran: Veteran gives +1 cm).

To be checked when the first elevated models arrive ;)

photo_2020-12-18 19.08.01.jpeg

photo_2020-12-18 19.08.09.jpeg

Edited by OliG
Correction of measurements
  • Like 3