Are Monster Gen 1, 1600 watt, 1600wh worth considering?

Fox

I have two slower wheels already, I saw a old monster come onto the classifieds days ago(Canada used market is slim pickings).  Part of me was looking to buy a new Tesla or mcm5, but would like more battery (maybe the 1500wh tesla rumored).

Are monster gen 1 84v reliable? I have heard of possible shim issue things, but it has under 2000 kms, if I can get a okay price is it still good or has it aged poorly compared to other options?

Thanks for any opinions!

I can't think of a good reason to get the Monster V1. A 1600Wh battery can be found in a King Song 18XL and you'll likely find that more comfortable and agile due to its size.

Are you just wondering because you saw that particular wheel for sale?

Here is an article I wrote about the Monster Pro, but the relevant information you may find interesting is the history of the Monster. I go into the various iterations and some of the issues that were common.

Edited by EUC Addict
Added additional info
  • Like 1

Yes it was just something I saw for sale locally (a few hours away) and its not something many talk about anymore, Monsters have had V2 and V3 versions and I had wondered what opinions of the first generation is, Also thanks for your opinion and the article! I kinda figured its not really worth getting, with the advancements that have been made in wheels.

The Monster v1 84V has a weaker board, unless they changed that (but I think that was the 100V and later v2 where they went TO-247 sized mosfets). It's not a bad wheel and has been super reliable for those who have one, just like all the other old wheels - except for the shim issues.

Personally, I wouldn't get one because I hate that it rides like a freight train. I never liked it.

If that wouldn't be your problem, I guess it depends on the price.

Somehow my intuition tells me a newer wheel would be better. But if the price is good and you want a Monster specifically...

Hard (and personal)  question, so trust and go by your instincts!

• 3 weeks later...