Your wheel catches FIRE while charging - what do you do?

27 minutes ago, /Dev/Null said:

-20 to -30c

I can't think what that would do to a battery.

-20°C is the manufacturer-specified temperature limit, so please avoid going colder.

https://www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/11514.pdf

20 minutes ago, null said:

fog and morning dew possibly corroding the battery

Yes.

Exposure to fog and condensation for long durations is a real hazard.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My plan is to get the wheel outside at all costs. If its too damn hot to approach, I'll use a broom. If its too hot for that and I cant breathe, I'll still try and bathe the room in water. Not to put

The "violent firework" thermal runaway seems to be shorter than I initially thought (10-15 seconds if burning monster video is a ref?) So while the worse going on, hold my breath, grab the fire e

The fumes are toxic, I agree with that, but I disagree about the rest. The only things that works for Li-ion fires is good old water. CO2, poweder, etc, makes absolutely no sense for Li-ion fires, bec

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Tryptych said:

I have a fire extinguisher as well but I don't expect that to be much help in a battery fire.

Found this information on extinguishers, which I thought was good to know:
https://steadfastfire.com/how-to-extinguish-a-lithium-ion-battery-fire

Here's an extract: "Lithium-ion battery fires are extinguished using Class B fire extinguishers. This means that in the event that a device using lithium-ion batteries catches fire, a standard Class ABC or BC dry chemical fire extinguisher can be used to put it out. Class B classification is given for flammable liquid fires. These batteries contain liquid electrolytes and fit best in B fire classification."

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

-20°C is the manufacturer-specified temperature limit, so please avoid going colder.

Great link, it's the specification for the LG M50T 21700 batteries in my new Nikola 100v, and they can be found in other wheels as well.
Ideally lithium-ion batteries should be kept at room temperature, away from humidity and the cold, and never discharged at lower temperatures than -20℃ as you said. It has lots of useful information, for example:

* 4.2.3 Max. Charge Current(Continuous)
  ** 0 ~ 25℃ - 0.3C (1,455mA)
  ** 25 ~ 45℃ - 0.7C (3,395mA)
* 4.2.4 Max. Discharge Current(Continuous)
  ** -20 ~ 10℃ - 0.5C (2,425mA)
  ** 10 ~ 25℃ - 3.0C(14,550mA)
  ** 25 ~ 55℃ - 1.5C (7,275mA)
* 4.3.1 Storage Characteristics - Cells shall be charged per 4.1.1 and stored in a temperature-controlled environment at 24ºC ± 2ºC for 30 days. After storage, cells shall be discharged per 4.1.2 to obtain the remaining energy. - Energy remaining rate ≥90% of Wh
* 5.1 Cautions for Use and Handling
  - Battery must be charged at operating temperature range 0 ~ 45℃.
  - Battery must be discharged at operating temperature range -20 ~ 55℃.
  - Battery must be stored in a dry area with low temperature for long-term storage.

Just to be on the safe side I never go out riding at temperatures lower than -10℃ (wind chill factor taken into acount) to avoid stressing the batteries too much. That's also the minimum operating temperature listed in the Veteran Sherman manual, so it's safe to assume other battery types only go down to -10℃. And when I'm outside I leave the EUC turned on at all times.

Makes you wonder what kind of magic Telsa and other EV manufacturers have done to let a car sit outside and be driven in our frigid Canadian winters with only reduced range. Maybe they use other battery chemistry, not sure. I thought they used NCR 21700A.

Edited by Patrick Robert
6 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Yes.

Exposure to fog and condensation for long durations is a real hazard.

This is why "store outside in a garage on cement" isn't real practical advice for many people in the Northern Hemisphere...