Inmotion V11 - PEW (Performance Enhancing Wheel)

Jonesq

Just went on my first group ride with my new V11. My current set up is 35% on pedal hardness, psi at 75 top and 150 bottom, 43 psi tire.

Despite glowing reviews from other riders, I initially had some reservations about this wheel due to the fact that the majority of the positive reviews seemed to come from older or more conservative riders and the younger or more aggressive riders seemed to pass up this wheel in favor of Gotway/Veteran.

I consider myself to be in the latter crowd as my riding style is knees bent, 25-30mph, constant carving, hitting as many jumps/bonks as possible, and bopping to my music. 

This wheel is PERFECT for that type of riding. 

Jumps/bonks are so much easier to land and easier on your knees. The power delivery is in line with my 18XL. It feels SLIGHTLY less aggressive, but the extra margin 34mph vs 31 mph on the 18XL makes up for it. The headlight is amazing and I had no issues with road visibility while traveling at 25-30mph.

Anyone who likes to ride to music will LOVE this wheel. I was bouncing to the beat on my suspension for the entirety of the ~35 mile ride and I don't think I can overemphasize how awesome it feels. 

The wheel simply performs amazingly. The thick tire is wayy more stable compared to the 2.5" on the 18XL.  The kickstand is very useful. 

I highly recommend getting Clark pads on this wheel. They look amazing with the wheel and they definitely help with the braking (which as other have mentioned, feels a little weak without pads to crank back on). Riding the V11 with Clark pads feels like easy mode.  Everything just feels so effortless on this wheel. I love a good challenge, but having this "easy mode" wheel doesn't make things boring, it just makes it possible to pull off much more difficult maneuvers. Easy becomes automatic, challenging becomes really easy, difficult becomes easy, impossible becomes doable, etc.

That being said there are some caveats: 

1. I would NOT recommend this wheel as a first wheel.
    • I cannot attest to its durability to impacts as I have not and do not intend to attempt any maneuvers on this that would have a high chance of dropping the wheel. The shape of the wheel makes me think it would not hold up well to a high speed impact. Several other posters have reported that the wheel is more prone to break than traditionally built wheels.
    • the suspension can build in bad habits and imo it is better to build your core skill set up on a non-suspension wheel first. Having done that, my appreciation for the benefits of suspension is immense. An appropriate analogy for all the gamers out there would like like giving a new player the best weapon in the game as opposed to making him start with the wooden trainer sword until they've earned the master sword. 
  2. No hard acceleration.
    • there was a report from a guy who cut out at 97% battery while accelerating near top speed 
    • the acceleration is smooth, but it is not aggressive so torque junkies will be left wanting more
  3. limited battery
    • 1500wh battery. It is what it is. I'm getting about the same range I would get on my 18XL but guys looking to do 50 miles fast won't get it here.

I'll try to take some videos of me shredding downtown this weekend so I can show you guys what this wheel is capable of. 

• Like 2

130 miles in and still loving this wheel.

Was riding at 40% pedal hardness in comfort mode and performance/fancier mode turned off. This made the ride very comfortable and it was effortless to keep a fast pace. However, the wheel dips forward when accelerating which makes night riding super sketchy as the headlight dips very low during acceleration.

I did 35 miles at an average speed of 20mph and had 17% battery left without activating go-home mode. 

On 12/2/2020 at 5:29 PM, Jonesq said:

No hard acceleration.

• there was a report from a guy who cut out at 97% battery while accelerating near top speed 

I think this is a little to general to put this statement label on this. You can accelerate hard, but as you reach mid to top speed, the headroom to aggressive demands on teh wheel have less possibility to comply and this is the same on any wheel. But you adapt very fast to what it can do and this is something that you tend for forget as you don't really feel how fast you are going since it is so smooth and rapid in responding. 

If you go a few years back and look at the generation of wheel around/before when KS18L was launched you there would not be many that would push their wheel ass hard as this new generation of wheel we have today. It is not the same as to say the V11 is many years back, but at that time we knew there are limitation and there still is but is so easy to forget.  

I do regard the V11 as a same 25-30mph wheel than most down to suspension helps you not to get caught out by surprise and the 18x3" tire help to cushion minor bumps too. The power you have is pretty great, but one you raise this bar some people with push this further.  I have yet to push my V11 past 4000W peak (smoothen out compare to GW reports) and braking power past 2100w. But I can say I have never push any of my wheel as hard as I done with my V11 nor ridden as fast too. Yesterday I hit my speed record of 50,4kmh (at 4-5C). 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2020 at 11:29 AM, Jonesq said:

Just went on my first group ride with my new V11. My current set up is 35% on pedal hardness, psi at 75 top and 150 bottom, 43 psi tire.

Despite glowing reviews from other riders, I initially had some reservations about this wheel due to the fact that the majority of the positive reviews seemed to come from older or more conservative riders and the younger or more aggressive riders seemed to pass up this wheel in favor of Gotway/Veteran.

I consider myself to be in the latter crowd as my riding style is knees bent, 25-30mph, constant carving, hitting as many jumps/bonks as possible, and bopping to my music. 

This wheel is PERFECT for that type of riding. 

It's an old post but I'm bringing it back with agreement: this wheel is PERFECT for aggressive riding in the city. Sooo much more fun to ride than the 18XL / MSP - I can maintain a higher average speed on the V11 because it makes those higher speeds safer and more enjoyable.

Not having suspension in your EUC makes about as much sense as not having suspension in your car/truck/motorcycle.

Some people complain about suspension wheels being more complex, but honestly that's a stupid argument: it's like complaining that a Cadillac is more complex than a bicycle.

Try a suspension wheel ASAP. Suspension is the future; all wheels should have suspension; we need more suspension wheels in 2021.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tryptych said:

It's an old post but I'm bringing it back with agreement: this wheel is PERFECT for aggressive riding in the city. Sooo much more fun to ride than the 18XL / MSP - I can maintain a higher average speed on the V11 because it makes those higher speeds safer and more enjoyable.

Not having suspension in your EUC makes about as much sense as not having suspension in your car/truck/motorcycle.

Some people complain about suspension wheels being more complex, but honestly that's a stupid argument: it's like complaining that a Cadillac is more complex than a bicycle.

Try a suspension wheel ASAP. Suspension is the future; all wheels should have suspension; we need more suspension wheels in 2021.

Not having a suspension also makes sense. We NEED choices. Im not interested in owning only suspension wheels. Scooter, bicycles, skateboards all come with and without suspension. Theres room in the industry for both. Not having a suspension on a unicycle, can't be compared to a car or  truck, as NONE of these are designed to incorporate your legs as the apendages that holds the weight. Spines dont compress like knees do.  Negatives of being more complex is not a stupid argument, it is a very valid argument. Its THIS reason I dont buy vehicles with power windows or doors or seats or gps or auto climate etc. . Less parts to break and worry about. I see absolutely NO reason I'd need or want a suspension on my mten. I also enjoy my 18L as it is. Adding suspension would make it a different wheel. The simplicity and unassuming nature, combined with size and cost, coupled with less parts to maintain, is NOT invalid.  There are situation when a suspension wheel and a non suspension wheel could be the better choice. Personally, I'd rather 2021 focus on fixing that crap thats been released, so we run out of bad things to post about and we neednt rebuild and buy new parts for brand new wheels. Words like PERFECT and STUPID and ALL are the downfall of your argument. An automatic transission in a car seems asinine to me, but i can still acknowledge it holds value for some. Quit shitting on my wheels.:pooping:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I agree with you @ShanesPlanetthat some words should be used carefully otherwise they loose their true meaning and value. That is why I rarely use always or never or love (for items, imo love is for living creatures).

As for suspension or non-suspension wheels I think it comes down to two things feeling the difference and deciding the benafit vs compromise to fit it. That is why this will be discussed and none can come to a final conclusion, there is no final answer above all answers to this. So to me it is just like a coin, it has 2 sides yet it is still a coin. It is still an EUC with or without suspension. 

But I can say this no matter what others think of the V11, for me that is the best choice to how I use my EUCs. That is not to say the same for all riders. And here I fully agree with you we like divination and options of choice. I also think eventually suspension wheels will be frequent sale models. Maybe not tomorrow but soon. Especially if we get new battery technology that doesn't take so much space and weight of an EUC. 

But this is still a young transport form compare to many other types. So who know were we are in 5 or 8 years from now. 

Note: I went for a ride today in some of my worst weather riding condition. Had I not been on the V11 I would have crashed due to a pothole covered by sleet. So I have now had a handful of occasions that the V11 (and some options like hex pedals) saved me from a crash. So in my view the safety of suspension is very hard to turn down, mixed with my bad knees, just make a stronger case for suspension. But it comes at a compromise that is not possible to look away from that.