Ankle Armour

Ubute

Okay ... well ... WOW! You have had some interesting times! :efee8319ab: 

Crashes are an inevitable part of learning. I am glad you are okay after the bruise thing. Has that healed by now? It seems obvious that none of this has reduced your desire to ride, but has you making adjustments and considering further precautions.

Keeping a reasonable speed is one of the best things we can do to minimize the damages. My crashes have been low speed events that were uneventful (if that makes any sense)! :blink1: What has been making me uncomfortable recently is that I am getting comfortable going faster. I am uncomfortable with comfort! :huh: I want to stay a little scared while riding.

There are many things, places, and trails that beckon us because exploring is one of the best things about the EUC. And exploring EUCs themselves causes that other wheel to draw our attention as much as that new place. I am as smitten by the allure of the V12 specs as much as anyone. A 2500 watt motor with a 16 inch wheel sounds like a torque monster. I don't care about the speed except that it will have lots of headroom, but I love torque since I am on the heavier side. I don't want to make it worse for you, but the S18 might be the wheel for you. It is light, nimble, and the suspension is easier on the body.

Nice story. Glad you are enjoying the wheel and have friends to ride S18's with. Ooops! Made it hard worse for you again. Sorry! ... no I am not ... but yes I am. :P    

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing @Ubute. Keep it up!

I was practicing on a friend’s KS 16X last month and had the same ankle injuries. I’ll be learning with some ankle armor for sure.

In fact, I just got my 1st EUC today (S18, very excited for some trail riding!), but I have a couple thousand miles on an e-board and OneWheel. To stay safe, I’m all geared up all the time and I use a hip protection belt (Hip Belt X D30 - Demon United). It’s a good alternative to the padded shorts. You could even wear it under your pants if you wanted. I’ve given up on disguising the pads! If I am riding in traffic or on the trails, protection is the priority.

A coworker thought I looked like a superhero. With this wheel I may look fully mechanized!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hi all, my first post! - I just relate so much to most others experiences, its amazing how similar our journeys are...
I also found after three/four rides, both my ankles were in the flesh. I took a week off as I did not want one/both wounds to fester.
Then as they healed I planned my comeback. I basically placed a "makeup bud" from the missus directly on the skin/healing wound, then a thick sock, doubled down with a piece of cardboard inserted between the folds. This worked a treat - I noticed a couple of bangs, but no damage to the skin.
Later after further reading, I have changed my footwear to hiking high ankle boots - it also protects better my toes (but that is another story...)
Great to read and share... Lean in! Saile

• Like 3

On 1/3/2022 at 9:57 PM, Ubute said:

Love it! What a great EUC greeting or parting. "Lean in!"

That would also make a nice bumper sticker for an EUC!

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scottie said:

That would also make a nice bumper sticker for an EUC!

This graced the S18 when I bought it… not that I encourage the last line, but in some ways it speaks to me! (in a longing for bygone days sort of way… besides, 'maximum' varies, right?)

AFF157-C1-A05-B-437-F-AA1-B-8-EBC525-C8-

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

This graced the S18 when I bought it… not that I encourage the last line, but in some ways it speaks to me! (in a longing for bygone days sort of way… besides, 'maximum' varies, right?)

"SAFETY LAST" ... not so good!    --    "SAFETY FIRST" ... not the EUC rider way either! :laughbounce2:  Maybe "SAFETY IS IN THERE SOMEWHERE, JUST GOTTA FIND IT"

I get it ... a wistful memory.

Everybody has their own 'maximum', which varies from time to time.

Is the bumper sticker still on the S18? You know, to keep the wistful memories alive ...

Edited by Scottie

12 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Is the bumper sticker still on the S18?

Yes it is, because it captures some of the mindset necessary for me to even attempt the learning process. The 'safety last' part is a reminder that while safety isn't anywhere near last for me... it is down the list just a little. It's definitely in there somewhere!

I do want to use the space to mount a blinky light but don't want to lose the sticker so it'll remain where it is until I can get another. The source when asked, said they were 'considering' making more.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Helmet LED strip lights are great.

Self adhesive with quality 3M, can set to continuous/slow blink/fast blink.

Assorted colours, very bright.

Very visible mounted at the maximum height of the head.

Virtually 360 degree visibility to all others.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

AFF157-C1-A05-B-437-F-AA1-B-8-EBC525-C8-

Wow if i had to make a sticker that encompassed the way i thought about safety when i started riding, this is it!

A couple visits to the hospital and many broken bones later and the person who agreed with this from back then, is a stranger to me today.

Back then anyone talking about gear i just mentally labeled an old fart and disregarded completely :roflmao:. Now i'm sitting here, fartin',  alongside the other old geezers being disregarded by suicidal youths :roflmao:

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 2