MSX with 2500w motor?

null

Trying to decide between this and a 16X.  Seems like this is a no frills wheel.  They've taken the lights and speakers away?  Is there a cut-off switch to pick it up?  I'm thinking there is not.  Trying to decide if the cheaper price of this wheel makes it worth it or if I should get the 16X instead.  Thoughts?

16X is low frills... yes there's lights (good ones, and they're automatic) and speakers (lo-fi, a stock '90s Ford car stereo sound). It does have a lift switch so you don't have to do anything except pull up on the trolley handle. It's durable (suitable for learners), practical, convenient, relatively long range, excels on the hills, nimble, sorta-kinda-probably-not-going-to-die-if-it's-ridden-in-the-wet, straightforward to maintain, doesn't seem to self combust often, and good on and off road.

The thing it's not is blisteringly fast as it's factory limited to 31 mph. Which for fraidee-cats like me, is deathly fast. Stay at 25 mph and you'll have reasonable safety margin.

Just make sure you buy from a reputable dealer, no gray market imports (KS will lock them).

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is a top candidate for my next wheel, it's great to hear from someone who actually has it. Have you taken it off road? Can you take a moment to measure the panel clearance? Besides the potential hollow motor bearing issues (which can possibly be resolved with mods, I hope - obviously no one has had them long term), the only other potential drawback for me about the newer Gotways is that they are lower to the ground, which is less than ideal for northeast rocks and roots trails.

Cool to hear that you are getting that kind of top-end speed. How do you like the two and a half inch tire? Just looking at  pictures of the stock wheel, my guess is that an off-road 3" knobby could be made to fit well with either minor tire or case shaving.

On 12/15/2020 at 2:48 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Reliable until you start jumping...

ACtC-3dIVrujqzuGy72h4iToZUqEBCRHteIcjuZ9oGfX43Di4cgerhrTlFObzEjdESzP54_cR-tVFNdItLWcgvJvWHvBXr088JGczj4P32d_I4WCoYYrY7YblGASoGATJpESuRmsPKNyE1gSjO3WjAN6_N08tw=w1350-h1014-no?authuser=0

There was never a C30 stub-axle motor marketed with that continuous power rating... but as we've discussed, that rating is meaningless...

Did anyone receive this new MSX yet?

The axle isn't one piece though is it? Mines like that too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicJG said:

<can you disassemble the axle?>

The axle has only one part. The axle is a machined steel shaft, which is inserted through and welded to the motor hub. It is not serviceable.

Replacing it would require grinding off welds, removing sealant and freeing the motor cables, installation and welding of a new axle, and reinsertion of cables. New axles are not available for purchase. Therefore: "not serviceable."

Chicway does not longer carry the MSP (I have contacted them), so if you don't get the MSX then the next jump is the RS at an additional 450$ dollars.

One rider in Greece has bought one and I had a chance to hop on it shortly. It doesn't have LED lights than can short circuit / get water, it has a 2.5 inch wide tire to avoid tire rubbing in the shell if the wheel happens to arrive misaligned and it comes with a 1.5a charger. The trolley handle has a lot of resistance when raising / lowering.

They tried to minimize problems that could cost them by providing service.

I found the tire to be very nimble, which can be a good trait, but I wouldn't trust it for high speed cruising. (cst 1488 18x2.5 - same as kingsong 18xl)

Since the shell is the same, you can buy a 3 inch tire for 35$ dollars and change it yourself. The MSX should be easy to work with.

The initial impressions of some of the guys who have / had an original MSX, said that the motor feels the same. Take it with a grain of salt.

All in all I think it is the best value wheel in the market right now for newcomers. 19 inch tire, high speed, good battery, reliable.

My reasoning is that a new rider will most likely not need the extra speed / torque that a 100v wheel can provide.

He can start with a cheaper will and if he decides to upgrade he can get a wheel with even more battery like the ex/ex.n instead of giving the initial learning beating to a more expensive wheel like the RS.

Also, the Sanyo NCR18650GA batteries have slightly better characteristics than the standard lg m50t 21700 that the RS has, so the range should be very close (when pushed / cold temps) even though the RS has 1800wh compared to the 1600wh of the MSX.

Edited by Freestyler
  • Like 3

Their site is less frequently updated. Try their "green and fashion" aliexpress page for more up to date data.

Also like I said I asked them directly few days ago:

Me: Are you going to bring more MSPs or only RS from now on?
Chicway: The MSP won't be any more. The new RS with LCD coming soon, around in the end of May arrival EU.

The only problem with this wheel is that there's not enough data! Yesterday I've hit 50 kph like nothing! One guy claims he hit 60 kph and maintained it.

Is it exactly like the msx 84 volt or not?

What's the top speed? 

7 hours ago, Yoyo said:

Is it exactly like the msx 84 volt or not?

Well, this is an 84V MSX.

Differences from the 2019 design were posted already.

7 hours ago, Yoyo said:

What's the top speed?

Full-battery freespin is 49mph / 79kph. Beeps around 34mph / 55kph. Respect the beeps.

On 4/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, BecauseFun said:

Have you taken it off road? Can you take a moment to measure the panel clearance? Besides the potential hollow motor bearing issues (which can possibly be resolved with mods, I hope - obviously no one has had them long term), the only other potential drawback for me about the newer Gotways is that they are lower to the ground, which is less than ideal for northeast rocks and roots trails.

This wheel has a normal motor, not a hollow one. I took itt offroad a littlebut I bought it mostly for city riding. Handles off road and trails like a champ. Of course a 100V wheel is better for off roading however I felt this strong enough.

On 4/28/2021 at 7:34 AM, Yoyo said:

What's the top speed? 

Hard to hear beeps, I took the buzzer outside on top.

Mine starts beeping at 57kmph (35.5mph). I wouldn’t push it over 60km/h (37-38mph). I’m 211lbs. If you weight less, I think you can reach higher speeds.

• Like 1

Superb wheel, have had it for 1.5 months now, comfortable sustained cruising in the city around 40 kmh (with bursts of 50+ kmh but that doesn't feel too safe to me), very nimble, I like off-roading, too, no problems climbing steep slopes either, so far. Perfect balance of portability and performance for me. Love carving in the suburban streets, the high pedals coupled with the speed it truly feels like skiing in the city, priceless! (Almost impossible to scrape a pedal on flat ground, I haven't managed it so far)

Have to say to be fair, that I only rode a v5f before.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 3:19 AM, Kalmar said:

I also bought. And I am happy too. It's perfect for me. The lighting would have to be modified. It's shining a little too bright and too high.

I'll be very interested to hear if you are able to dim the light.  For now I built a shade to try and not blind the folks coming at me.

On 5/5/2021 at 4:03 PM, jdrichardson13 said:

I'll be very interested to hear if you are able to dim the light.  For now I built a shade to try and not blind the folks coming at me.

Power LED control is implemented in various ways. I will take out the control boards (2pc) and see how it is done. Maybe we can dim the light in the last stage of the control and keep the dimming.

@Desty I bought a 5A charger in the same store as the wheel :)

Edited by Kalmar
add content