30 km/h on a 350w motor

Oily

Gotta admit, now I'm almost running twin batteries giving me 264, I'm hovering over the buy button !

I top out at 14 km/h at the moment, and that feels really awkward as the pedals rise, so I'm cruising at about 9-10km/h which is starting to feel pedestrian !

Time to make contact on shipping...... :D

11 minutes ago, Oily said:

Gotta admit, now I'm almost running twin batteries giving me 264, I'm hovering over the buy button !

I top out at 14 km/h at the moment, and that feels really awkward as the pedals rise, so I'm cruising at about 9-10km/h which is starting to feel pedestrian !

Time to make contact on shipping...... :D

We will be watching you! :D

Looking at the pictures, that controller board is just equal to the ones that say that work for the max of 16km/h.

We are developing our own OpenSource firmware (https://github.com/generic-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki) for that boards and then we will implement the max speed possible ;-)

The board looks very much similar to the photo I saved last Aug(16 months ago). which often regarded the 1st generation board. 

Also, the board and the motor should be matched, meaning the motor should be high speed type for high speed board.

2 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

@zlymex do you know how we can visually identify the high and low speed motors? any link with more information? thanks.

It's very difficult (if not impossible) to tell the type of motors from appearance. Take MSuper2 for example, motors of HS and MS are the same size, same thickness and the same style. Only the ID numbers are different which make no sense for common users like us.

21 minutes ago, zlymex said:

It's very difficult (if not impossible) to tell the type of motors from appearance. Take MSuper2 for example, motors of HS and MS are the same size, same thickness and the same style. Only the ID numbers are different which make no sense for common users like us.

Gotway is releasing a HS version of their MCM4. Would it mean a different motherboard and a faster motor?

Thats pretty much what I've said.

Am interested in converting to a 30km/h 14" (ideally with Bluetooth).

Its getting late in China, so not sure if I'll now get a reply today.

Oh I know - that thread is what got me into thinking about mod'ing my 14" rather than saving for an 18" gotway..... :)

I'm wondering if it can be done with a 350W motor though - makes it staggeringly cheap ! B)

Ok, well still no definitive answer from Lilly, other than that 30km/h is not achievable with a 350W motor - so it's unrealistic advertising.... :(

She is speaking to her tech guys to see what the top speed will be, but no real surprise that it's not a cheap high speed upgrade.

More news when I have it.....

On 12/9/2015 at 5:37 PM, Oily said:

Just found this.....

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Electric-Scooter-controller-Self-balance-unicycle_60401798426.html?spm=a2700.7724838.30.204.S1n2e5

30km/h
with a 350w motor seems a little optimistic to me - or am I missing something ?

Olly

I will explain this with physics.

1 hp = 746w, means to left a 75kg weight one meter per second.

The slowest speed A EU can move stably is about 3.6km/h, or 1m/s. 

When a EU climb a slope, the rising speed (up speed) is tan(Angle) * speed. For a 45 degree slope, the ratio is 1 to 1, i.e., moving forward a meter also rise up a meter. For a 15 degree slope, moving 1 meter would rise 0.268 meters.

For easy estimate, we assume that the rider plus the EU is 75kg, the efficiency of an EU is 80%. Unlike other vehicles, a EU always needs to reserve extra power to keep us balance. Usually, it needs at least 30% reserved power. Then for one house power, a EU needs about 746/0.8/0.7 =  1332W power. 

At the slowest speed of 3.6km/h, or 1m/s,  the power needed to climb a 15 degrees slope is 

tan(15)*1332 = 357W. 

That is, a 350W EU can barely keep moving on a 15 degrees slope. 

In order to move at a speed of 10 km/h on the 15 degrees slope, the motor power needed is  

357W * 10 /3.6 = 991W. 

If we really want to push a 350W EU to 30km/h, the max angle it can keep move is

arctan(350/1332*3.6/30) = 1.8 degree. 

That is, at 30km/h, a 350w EU can have just enough power to move on flat road, without the consideration of road and wind resistance. 

In practice, if we want a super EU that can climb a 20 degrees slope at speed of 15km/h, we need 

1332* tan(20) * 15 /3.6 = 2020W

6 hours ago, Jez_Fila said:

They updated the description in alibaba.

Seems pedal tilt is at 16k and limit at 18k.

There is also a big disclaimer saying that its your responsibility to make sure that controller is compatible with your device. 

No real surprise - staggered me that it might even be possible !

Sooooo - onwards with my 500W motor & 30km/h board then..... :)

3 hours ago, Jimicyle said:

I will explain this with physics.

Wow - a serious explanation (although it now leaves me in a bit of doubt that even a 500W EU will comfortably do 30km/h) ?

Thanks for the reply.

Olly

Archived