Extra Waterproofing

Hey guys.

With winter here  there's a ton more rain (especially in the UK). I have an inmotion v8 and I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to help the water resistance.

1. Is it bad for the wheel to go through puddles?

2. would it be as simple as taping the on/off button to make a proper seal over it. (maybe do the same with the charge port. 

3. when riding on wet ground the wheel flicks water and mud up into the wheel, Is this bad? 

appreciate any responses. 

I would also like to now a little more about this. I recentley started looking into EUC's and guess I just expected them to be waterproof, but now Iam reading that some models benefit from extra waterproofing???

Could someone give some extra information on riding an EUC in the rain, on wet roads and through puddles?

I think it’s fair to say that wheels should be considered weather resistant, but not water proof. They’ve been improving with each generation, so newer wheels are probably better in the wet than the older models were but they are not waterPROOF. There are videos of wheels in absolute downpours, and reports of damage from riding in light rain.

I figure that whatever the advertised capabilities, a failure due to water ingress will be painful to my wallet and could require rehab if my wheel dies while I’m on it.

So I don’t plan on riding if I know it’s going to rain and generally try to avoid puddles (don’t forget a puddle may be hiding a pothole), but if it’s just damp streets—no problem (except extra care due to lower traction).

On 11/19/2020 at 4:48 AM, CharlesRomer said:

Hey guys.

With winter here  there's a ton more rain (especially in the UK). I have an inmotion v8 and I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to help the water resistance.

1. Is it bad for the wheel to go through puddles?

2. would it be as simple as taping the on/off button to make a proper seal over it. (maybe do the same with the charge port. 

3. when riding on wet ground the wheel flicks water and mud up into the wheel, Is this bad? 

appreciate any responses. 

I've ridden a V8 through two winters (rain, slush, snow and salted pathways) - it's a robust wheel that is more water-resistant than a lot of wheels that came after it. As long as you don't run into the power-switch cut-off issue, then you have a good one and shouldn't have to worry about riding it throughout the winter.

1. Puddles are fine, just don't go deeper than the wheel axle.
  2. I didn't tape the power button, but it wouldn't hurt (some owners reported the power-switch cutting out after water ingress).
  3. The wheel is separated from the internals of the wheel by the shell. I've had mud, snow slush in the wheel well without any major issues. I'd recommend parking the wheel on a mat or in a tub after you've been riding in the snow. Once the snow in the wheel well melts, it will leave a puddle on the floor.

If you watch a some maintenance videos, you can see how well the V8 is protected with the control board and batteries located above the axle.

In the winter, I rode with the InMotion cover on - it helped protect the wheel the few times I slid out on ice.