Tesla3 - upgraded motor and battery

EMA

• EMA changed the title to Tesla3 - upgraded motor and battery

I hope the hollow motor bigger battery version keeps the torquey effortless Tesla feeling.  I like that the Tesla v2 I had was so effortless I didn’t need pads to push it.  Meant that I could be more relaxed so city riding was easy.  Long rides I didn’t like it though, msx tire was much better.

• Like 1

Perhaps they don't want to increase the width of the tyre further because the 21700 batteries are already wider than the old batteries which might make the wheel too wide? I definitely like the new rear light. I presume they'll do something similar with the Nikola otherwise they'll still be displaying GW (if the new Nikola light is brighter and compatible with existing Nikolas then I would replace my rear light).

9 minutes ago, TheMasterSword said:

I'm thinking about placing a deposit with an alibaba vendor, but I'm hesitant due to the fact that they asked to do the transaction outside alibaba and go direct through paypal.

That is weird but still as long as it’s not a F&F payment, you are protected by Paypal Purchase Protection.

Edited by orurio
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Here it says they use the Nikola pedals (same shape as the ACM/Tesla pedals but a bit bigger) now. Did the Tesla v2 already get those? If not, they are changed pedals even if the difference is small:innocent1:

sorry i mean the ground clearance, the height

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

They have a new motor? Or is it one of the RS HT/HS motors?

I wonder whether that means the Nikola will be upgraded, or it was an outlier wheel with no follow-up.

I'm not sure the hollow motor is an "upgrade" I'd want. The hollow motor is a more rigid design but no-one complained about the strength of the old design while using the new bearings would add 1.5Kg to an already heavy wheel, extra cost and you'd also have the worry of the bearings rusting which is happening a lot with these hollow motors. Is the Nikola really a wheel with no follow up? so far we've had:

• 1600Wh + 84v original wheel
  • 1600Wh + 84v with new motherboard, pedal grips
  • 2100Wh + 84v offering extended range
  • 1840Wh + 100v and new motherboard, speakers and pedals
  • 1800Wh + 100v and 21700 batteries (complete charge in 6 hours)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EMA said:

sorry i mean the ground clearance, the height

Oh that makes sense! Yes, higher pedals would have been nice. I guess the same reason as for the 2.125'' tire applies: they didn't want to modify the shell.

1 minute ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Is the Nikola really a wheel with no follow up? so far we've had

They're only selling the 100V 1800Wh nowadays, and have been for a while now. A v2 upgrade with nicer (back) lights and a 2700Wh option (keeping the 1800Wh as standard) would be nice. Or maybe a new suspension? A hollow motor can the first step towards that.

I'm just wondering if we will see a Nikla upgrade, or if 16'' Tesla + 18'' RS (formerly msuper series) will be their new standard, constantly-upgraded models.

Or the 1020h -> 1500Wh is significant enough to upgrade the Tesla (especially as third party modders already sell this) and it means nothing for other wheels.

Anyways, I'm just wondering/speculating what this new Tesla v3 might mean:) Alone, a 1500Wh Tesla is certainly a great wheel. Relatively small and zippy but powerful, fast, with quite good range (higher pedals really would have been nice).

I was actually just looking for something to upgrade my tesla 1020w 84v. I like it. I enjoy riding an EUC now and my escooter is nt used so much (although at 8kg it has it's advantages).

Seems like the tesla is still holding it's place. Knowing I can do the 2.25 tyre (or is it 2.5) upgrade and retrofit the cut-off switch, it seems like there is very little reason to upgrade??

Although I do worry about hitting 28mph (only done 22.5mph max. And I do find battery depletes kind of quick.

My tesla v1 is still going strong. It has been very reliable, but I do limit the speed to 30km/h. This becomes a bit more than 30 as I have a 2.5in tire on mine for around 3000km now. Very comfy. (No I didn't modify the shell. I just picked a very compact 2.5in tire. Clearance is small when the tire is new. After a few km it turns silent.)

• Like 2

The T3 is an odd duck. It makes sense from Begode's strategy to convert to hollow bore motors, but it doesn't make sense from a consumer's point-of-view.

WEIGHT

At almost 50lbs, the T3 is 7lbs heavier than the Tesla V2.

What's the point in having a lighter 16-inch model, then upping its weight? The Nikola is only 54lbs.

For heavier wheels, the hollow bore has the benefit of additional torque with higher power ratings, but it's not like the Tesla V2 was lacking torque. The additional weight may make it feel less nimble.

The last bastion for lightweight, high-performance wheels is the MCM5. I really hope that Begode doesn't try to stuff it with a hollow bore motor!

PRICE

The Tesla V2 cost $1350 USD
The T3 costs $1590 USD

The V2 was an excellent value wheel, but probably competed too closely to the MCM5. This new price point makes sense for Begode to have something in every price segment, but it can't really be considered a budget-friendly wheel anymore.

FEATURES

The major complaints about the Tesla V2 were:

1. tire width
  2. pedal height
  3. uncomfortably wide body
  4. lack of brake light

How Begode addressed them:

1. same tire
  2. marginal pedal angle increase
  3. even wider
  4. Begode is finally listening to customers!
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, alcatraz said:

My tesla v1 is still going strong. It has been very reliable, but I do limit the speed to 30km/h. This becomes a bit more than 30 as I have a 2.5in tire on mine for around 3000km now. Very comfy. (No I didn't modify the shell. I just picked a very compact 2.5in tire. Clearance is small when the tire is new. After a few km it turns silent.)

It's your research that made me decide to hold on to it. Knowing I can go up to 2.5 helps give it a different feel when I decide upon it.

54 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

The V2 

The major complaints about the Tesla V2 were:

1. tire width
  2. pedal height
  3. uncomfortably wide body
  4. lack of brake light

1. @alcatraz has suggested sorted that

2.  True. For me I have nothing to compare it to. Though I have scraped it.

3. Again nothing to compare. But I see it. Wish it was more tapered like the mcm5

4. It's kind of easy I think to add a rear light. There's certainly the space. Maybe a little project for myself...

So thanks. I think I've just decided to stick with my Tesla!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Asphalt said:

PRICE

The Tesla V2 cost $1350 USD
The T3 costs $1590 USD

The V2 was an excellent value wheel, but probably competed too closely to the MCM5. This new price point makes sense for Begode to have something in every price segment, but it can't really be considered a budget-friendly wheel anymore.

There's a lot I agree with in your original post, but this part is a bit misleading.

The V2 was $1450 forever, and only very recently was discounted to $1350 likely just to clear the old stock before this new model. Therefore the real price difference between the V2 and the T3 is only $140, which is actually a fantastic cost difference to go from 1020 Wh to 1500 Wh.

The Tesla was never their budget line and was always their 'tweener, where it still firmly remains (~$1500-1600, smack in between between their smallest, cheapest wheels and larger $2k+ wheels).

I very much agree however that I would preferred to see a 2.5" tire like the V10[F] and this year's MCM5 refresh.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

Regarding pedal clearance, the official spec sheets list the T3's pedal clearance as actually *lower* than the Tesla V2 (by 15mm/over half an inch). Presumably a byproduct of shifting things around with the new hollow-bore motor and larger batteries?

Edited by AtlasP

7 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Did you provide details in a thread on this forum ? Be the tire (deal breaker to me) the T3 is perfect to me.