Commuter gear

Just bought my first EUC (KS16s) and I'm hoping eventually to use it for commuting. I wear dress pants and shirts at work. Any tips on gear that won't require an extensive outfit change or is easily worn over my work clothes? So far I have a helmet but looking for all other things! Thanks friends.

• Like 1

Welcome to the hobby. It's the best antidote to lockdowns IMO + its funnn!

Far's one piece riding suits, if you have the money & don't mind looking a bit dorky, I highly recommend the Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit. Its fully armored inld. hip/bum pads & all, goretek lined waterproof & with layering (preferably heated gear), its winter ready as well. You can wear a suit or T's + jeans or shorts or even neeekad underneath. Its super easy on/off as well.  Best of all, its likely the closest we can to walking away unscathed should the worst happen.

I got mine donkey years back for riding to work (on a bike) with tie & dressies. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

Welcome to the hobby. It's the best antidote to lockdowns IMO + its funnn!

Far's one piece riding suits, if you have the money & don't mind looking a bit dorky, I highly recommend the Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit. Its fully armored inld. hip/bum pads & all, goretek lined waterproof & with layering (preferably heated gear), its winter ready as well. You can wear a suit or T's + jeans or shorts or even neeekad underneath. Its super easy on/off as well.  Best of all, its likely the closest we can to walking away unscathed should the worst happen.

I got mine donkey years back for riding to work (on a bike) with tie & dressies. 

AND its $1400! I've been eyeballing it for years for my motorcycle. FInally contacted them last year, palcing an order this year. Honestly tho, if i didnt need a motorcycle set anyhow, it seems a shade excessive. But hell, excessive is nice too! Made in USA and Paula (old lady) answered the phone last year too. Me likee companies that can keep employees. She was a hoot too!

If you dont plan on riding rain, what about a simple set of coveralls? How much padding are you wanting? If you require gear and dont want to be overly wrinkled, I imagine a mc suit would be your best bet. Im pretty sure my kneepads would easily fit under a tailored set of pants. Maybe you just want a windbreaker/rain suit and wear knees and elbows UNDER the clothing?  Plenty of mc suits to choose from. You are near aerostitch in MN, maybe treat yourself to a visit and let them talk you into spending the cost of a used car, on a tailored outfit that may live longer than you? If you are regular sized, Im sure you can find other cheaper brands too.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheMasterSword said:

When I used to mountain bike, I would wear helmet, wrist guards and 1 elbow pad on my right arm, never failed, when I was going to eat sht, I would dismount to my right and always walked away unscathed, not sure if it would work the same with EUC though.

simply put... it won't be the same. Plan to literally EAT pavement or dirt. As far as I can tell, once you reach higher speeds 20mph+, you have little control over how it goes. Facing forwards seems to end in a forward slide. Those NYC boys can show ya how it goes. Maybe step off the back of a truck bed at 25mph facing forward and see how goes?  If you are lucky, its wobbles and you get to decide how to make it hurt. I didnt say it was inevitable, but you better plan for it.  Of course THIS coming from a guy who's known to not wear much. But hey, it aint like I'm not aware of it, I just like to roll the dice.

Congrats @jrod19z Welcome to the group! Almost missed the point of the topic... its YOU! Best of luck on many fun miles. Hopefully you pick it up quickly, but even if you don't... keep at it! Soon you too will have the virus/disease of the wheel!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Just now, ShanesPlanet said:

simply put... it won't. Plan to literally EAT pavement or dirt. As far as I can tell, once you reach higher speeds 20mph+, you have little control over how it goes. Facing forwards seems to end in a forward slide. Those NYC boys can show ya how it goes. If you are lucky, its wobbles and you get to decide how to make it hurt.

Gonna buy those chunky butt/thigh pads, this will get interesting.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

AND its $1400! I've been eyeballing it for years for my motorcycle. FInally contacted them last year, palcing an order this year. Honestly tho, if i didnt need a motorcycle set anyhow, it seems a shade excessive. But hell, excessive is nice too! Made in USA and Paula (old lady) answered the phone last year too. Me likee companies that can keep employees. She was a hoot too!

Yup made in the good ol' USofA! 'Magine that😁

Ya its a chunk of dough alright but look at it this way. If it last you 10yrs (& it will so long as you don't turn into a butterball), then its only $140/yr or $0.38/day! Sounds like a deal don't it esp if you do eat it! 'Magine the savings in medical bills, nevermind the pain & grief😆

4 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

Far's one piece riding suits, if you have the money & don't mind looking a bit dorky, I highly recommend the Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit.

KS16S has a top speed of 35km/h, not 55! And Roadcrafter definitely doesn't fit the description of  not requiring an extensive outfit change. :)
People are lazy, if they need to change before every ride, they're less likely to wear them.

@jrod19z

Just buy a cheap (but comfortable) bicycle helmet and wrist + knee + elbow protectors in your local sports/bicycle store. I spent < $40 on my set and survived 10 faceplants at low (< 30km/h) speeds.
Wear the whole set for the first 1000km. Afterwards, you can skip some parts if you want to, but always wear a helmet and wrist protection.

Edited by atdlzpae

23 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

KS16S has a top speed of 35km/h, not 55! And Roadcrafter definitely doesn't fit the description of  not requiring an extensive outfit change. :)
People are lazy, if they need to change before every ride, they're less likely to wear them.

@jrod19z

Just buy a cheap (but comfortable) bicycle helmet and wrist + knee + elbow protectors in your local sports/bicycle store. I spent < $40 on my set and survived 10 faceplants at low (< 30km/h) speeds.
Wear the whole set for the first 1000km. Afterwards, you can skip some parts if you want to, but always wear a helmet and wrist protection.

Umm, I must disagree. The roadcrafter is like any other large coveralls. I can go from street clothes to overalls in about 20 seconds and not remove even my boots(my mesh summer pants are the same). Serously, its MUCH easier to climb into a one piece than to even don a single knee pad. Have you seen the RC suit? Its a zipper all the way down from neck to leg cuff. YOu literally step into it, put your arms thru and zip up EVERYTHING. I wouldnt call that an outfit change at all. Not too shabby, considering it can contain, knees/hips/elbows/shoulders and back armor, along with your work or street clothing. If its cold outside, you'd have to wear something over jeans and a t-shirt anyhow. Im lazy, but i'd much rather pull on a one and done, than micromanage a shit ton of little pieces. However, the MC suit is expensive and overkill. I wouldnt say its an entire wardrobe change or difficult for the lazy.

I do agree tho, its most likely WAY overkill. Also, if its a pita to put on, you wont as often. Cheap stuff is as good as middle priced most times. Me, Im so lazy I dont even wear a stupid helmet most of the time. However, I'm coming around to wearing a bucket more often as my speeds increase. Wrists are a good idea, but i just HATE them. IN the end, I am NOT an ambassador of the sport, and wearing gear is a great idea, so don't follow my lead. I just do know that a 1 piece aint much to put on.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

3 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Umm, I must disagree. The roadcrafter is like any other large coveralls.

I never owned one. That's good to know. :) And I agree, kneepads are a pain to put on.

How hot is it at low speeds in the summer?

40 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

I never owned one. That's good to know. :) And I agree, kneepads are a pain to put on.

How hot is it at low speeds in the summer?

I havent worn a roadcrafter, noone else's would fit. I just know how easy my pants and overalls are to put on. I'm in the proces of them fitting me for a stealth suit tho. Ive seen so many people step into them and do it wrong, but still takes 20 seconds. So my information on the RC is totally 3rd party. I also hear that they are pretty fu*n hot in the summer, as they are goretex and thick cordura.  I would imagine at euc speeds, they dont vent at all. For summer, I plan on using my mesh, as its so damn cool. If i wear just boxers in my mesh, my berries stay tiny, even in southern humidity.. yup, they are awesome.

For most people on just an euc, I'd look at some pants and a jacket. My mesh jacket is also damn cool when moving. I'd almost say its as cool or cooler than a simple tee... when moving. @Unventoris rocking a badass Klim suit. He looks ready to shred. If a person is a 'normal' size, there's many options ranging from cheapish to ungodly expensive.  Just gotta watch out for a suit that is cut in too forward a riding position. The euc seems like an upright to me.

Wow, Im writing novels lately. Sorry about that, but at least i THINK I answered your simple question , in my stupid long story.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

4 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

@jrod19z

Believe it or not, but it takes me less time to suit up the Aerostitch than it takes for me to slap on the Leatt dual axis pads. Best of all, you can be nude or in a 3pc monkey suit or anything inbtwn & have full protection. Just use pant straps if wrinkling is a factor.

Zip In Zip Out. No outfit change needed even in a thunderstorm or a full on white out blizzard😉.

Believe it or not, eating a 35kph wipe can be just as painful as a 50kph wipe. One can wear anything or nothing so long's one's sure eating it isn't part of the program. Maybe it's cos I'm getting on in the years so the thought of losing any skin & bones, however minor seems very unappetizing. 

As normal, YMMV ofcos

• Like 1

Thank you all for welcoming me to the community and for your insights. I think the Aerostitch looks very versatile but too expensive for now if I don't end up riding all the time. Klim is a bit more reasonable. I have a mc helmet from riding my moped that should work for now. Will probably just pick up some wrist guards for now as I'm assessing more long-term options. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 11:15 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

For most people on just an euc, I'd look at some pants and a jacket. My mesh jacket is also damn cool when moving. I'd almost say its as cool or cooler than a simple tee... when moving. @Unventoris rocking a badass Klim suit. He looks ready to shred. If a person is a 'normal' size, there's many options ranging from cheapish to ungodly expensive.  Just gotta watch out for a suit that is cut in too forward a riding position. The euc seems like an upright to me

Good pointer to watch out for riding position. I bought a 400usd leather mc racing 'Xls' onesie on ebay, it's pretty good, looks cool and feels safe (as always I swap the crappy pads for d3o or equivalent) but it forces me to ride with a slight bend because of crotch tightness since they are meant for seated riding, obviously. It's quite ok while riding the v11, even improving my posture, but walking not so much...The Aerostitch doesn't have this issue?

As I am in Europe I can't do fitting for the Aerostitch, so I am a little hesitant. They suggested a size based on my measurements, adding that some 'leg alterations' might be worth considering, not sure what to think.

6 hours ago, Fntmsgotwaymten3 said:

Good pointer to watch out for riding position. I bought a 400usd leather mc racing 'Xls' onesie on ebay, it's pretty good, looks cool and feels safe (as always I swap the crappy pads for d3o or equivalent) but it forces me to ride with a slight bend because of crotch tightness since they are meant for seated riding, obviously. It's quite ok while riding the v11, even improving my posture, but walking not so much...The Aerostitch doesn't have this issue?

As I am in Europe I can't do fitting for the Aerostitch, so I am a little hesitant. They suggested a size based on my measurements, adding that some 'leg alterations' might be worth considering, not sure what to think.

Im still waiting on my AsMC suit to arrive. It should be within a week or two. They are a pretty utilitarian format and havent changed much in years. One of the fitment questions was about riding position. I request an upright posture and sent them a picture of me in 'attack' stance on an euc. I am pretty sure the seamstress' know what they are doing, as its patterned out and they've seen many shapes/sizes of rider. Its so damn expensive tho, you'd be a fool to not hesitate before buying. Im narrow like a toothpick and tall like a basketball player from the 90's. They sent me a gorgeous and comfy windbreaker/jacket that is so light but incredibly warm. However, they cant alter the length from shoulder to waist on the simpkler fleece. As for the big jackets and suits, I was informed that there are more sizes than there are in the fleece's. I paid extra for the hips and back and stealth suit, along with ANY alteration they deemed an improvement to fitment. Again, fingers crossed, as clothing is always a losing battle and this non refundable suit cost a fortune. Sadly, im already 0 for 1 as the fleece is going back. They can alter the arms but not the length on it. Its a safe bet to assume I'll be VERY critical of the suit and will voice an opinion once I get my hands on it. Of course, i will REQUIRE them to keep adjusting what they can, until its aa close as possible. LIving on the same continent affords that more easily. Altho, them getting it just right first whack, would speak volumes. Pads staying in place during a crash is hard to accomplish and if they don't, its just false security in an expensive waterproof wrapper.

Edited by ShanesPlanet