How does the Kenda K340 (EX / Sherman street) ride?

null

The Kenda K340 (and CST CM610?) seem to become the main alternative to the CST 1488 for EUC street tires.The 1488 seems to wear out quite fast, so I'm more interested in the Kenda K340 as a generalist tire.

How does it ride? Compared to the H666 it might be replacing for example?

Except if I missed something I havent seen much opinions about it, in spite of being stock on a couple of EUCs now.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, null said:

Thanks, yes I saw this one, his comments are fairly generic, street tire vs cross tire..

Yes, I thought you may have seen it before but it's the only comparison out there.  Another tire you may want to look into is the CST C6004, which has a tread pattern similar to the Kenda K340A but with a much more aggressive series of blocks around the edge and 7mm deep tread! 

O1CN01FIFLG01nFyzOPrsNH_!!129665061.jpg

I have just fitted this same tire to my S18 and can't rate it highly enough, it is a fantastic tire in every respect from carving to straight line stability and tight turns!  I still have to try it on some dirt trails, but expect it will also do really well there too, in everything but very deep mud, for a dual purpose tire!

My topic I posted recently regarding the Full overhaul and tire change of the S18 has more information about my fitment of this CST tire and info on some other equivalents!  I also have the Kenda K340A, but chose to fit the CST over the Kenda and I'm really happy with the decision - the S18 rides brilliantly now!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

Thanks a lot for the details @fbhb ! Great job with the S18 and writeup.

The CST C6004 looks nice indeed, I like the slightly stiff cushiness and the lower risk of punctures of thick rubber. Besides I don't like changing tyres, so the longer it rolls the better. (hence my distrust to the CST 1488)
I would have asked for the width of the tyre but you had posted it already: 2.85", that is actually exactly the same as I measure on the H666 on the Sherman.

IMG_4845.JPG

Edited by null
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, null said:

The CST C6004 looks nice indeed, I like the slightly stiff cushiness and the lower risk of punctures of thick rubber. Besides I don't like changing tyres, so the longer it rolls the better. (hence my distrust to the CST 1488)

The more I ride on this CST C6004, the more and more it inspires confidence!  I personally think it is going be a very hard tire to beat as an All round option, having only just tried it on some loose off road trails this morning for the first time and coming home even more impressed! 

IMHO, the genuine motor cycle tires are the Only way I will go in future for both the Sherman and the S18, as the usual standard EUC/bicycle tires just cannot compare in performance, toughness and longevity! 

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

Great to hear, I was worried about the replacement of the H666. And it’s a miracle you managed to get it in the S18, so basically all 18x3 EUCs could use it.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2020 at 3:07 AM, null said:

The Kenda K340

this tire is listed as 2.75-14 but also (20x2.75)

i tried this tire on my EX, the tire itself is really good but it oscillate at speed, i tried to center it with no succes, swapped with a new one do the same.

fitting it is a nightmare....not becouse it's tight but becouse it's loose....once i get one side in the rim putting the tube makes the other side go out with no effort.

it goes out even when i inflate it, that's remind me the kuji video when he had the same issue at low pressure.

i already shared this in EX discussion, just my experience, some riders had the same oscillations, some don't.

[ when i change the tire to cst 1488 the wheel runs perfect ]

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/24/2021 at 3:55 AM, EMA said:

updating discussion:

received EXN with k340, seems that the tire is ok on the "classic" RS motor, no issue right now

Huh must be a Kenda quality control thing. I just recieved my EXN yesterday and I am experiencing oscillations once I hit any speed above 30 mph. I've massaged it. Rode it around slowly on 5-15 psi. Tried to use soapy water to help with massaging. It's still the same as when I started! Haha I think I might have a lemon tire. Im planning to swap to the K262 when it arrives in a couple of days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, I2x2 said:

Does anyone have a link where I can get the CST C6004?

Being based in New Zealand is definitely much harder to source EUC's and accessories, having Only one distributor here catering to a tiny EUC population!

I almost always have to order from overseas, China being the most obvious go to.

The online site I used for the CST 6004 and other tires, is called "ebuy7" and I have also passed this info on to other forum members wishing to source the CST 6004 for their King Song S18's, so it's a relatively safe site.  Just be aware that they do have a weird way of charging the shipping, as it seems to be split into 2 payments.

The bottom line is that even after you get hit up with a second charge for shipping, the total purchase price does not work out to be too bad - especially for this excellent tire.

Link is as follows: https://www.ebuy7.com/item/559731568737  just scroll through the several options shown to find the CST 6004.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

Being based in New Zealand is definitely much harder to source EUC's and accessories, having Only one distributor here catering to a tiny EUC population!

I almost always have to order from overseas, China being the most obvious go to.

The online site I used for the CST 6004 and other tires, is called "ebuy7" and I have also passed this info on to other forum members wishing to source the CST 6004 for their King Song S18's, so it's a relatively safe site.  Just be aware that they do have a weird way of charging the shipping, as it seems to be split into 2 payments.

The bottom line is that even after you get hit up with a second charge for shipping, the total purchase price does not work out to be too bad - especially for this excellent tire.

Link is as follows: https://www.ebuy7.com/item/559731568737  just scroll through the several options shown to find the CST 6004.

@fbhb what shipping method do you use and do you get hidden fees like brokerage?

23 minutes ago, I2x2 said:

@fbhb what shipping method do you use and do you get hidden fees like brokerage?

From memory, I chose DHL I think and initially the order will go through after doing so, but you will then most likely get asked for another small additional freight request.

They will contact you and ask for something like: "Pay Overweight Freight", which is a weird way of doing things but given as the initial tire price is so low the total including All the freight costs works out OK IMHO.

Hope this helps, I know it might seem sketchy but you should be able to purchase your CST 6004 safely from this site.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fbhb said:

From memory, I chose DHL I think and initially the order will go through after doing so, but you will then most likely get asked for another small additional freight request.

They will contact you and ask for something like: "Pay Overweight Freight", which is a weird way of doing things but given as the initial tire price is so low the total including All the freight costs works out OK IMHO.

Hope this helps, I know it might seem sketchy but you should be able to purchase your CST 6004 safely from this site.

Yea, that site did seem sketchy since it’s not laid out like other online stores I’ve come across. I tried to search for other tires but it’s so difficult to navigate and search through.  I even tried to search for the C6004 again on my own and didn’t have any luck. I had to use the link you provided to get there again.

i did place my order and chose epackets 10-25 days since I’m not in a rush. 
So far I’ve paid close to CAD$100 total

first payment CAD$31.90, & second payment for freight USD$52.29->CAD$67

I’ll see when it the tire gets here if there’s any other fees.

any chance you have a link for RS19 bearings (61824-2RS)?
Ive been looking around and they’re pretty hard to get. 

Edited by I2x2
Update

13 hours ago, I2x2 said:

I hope you go on alright with getting the CST 6004 now that the order has been placed, you should be All good though!

Sorry, I can't help you with GotWay/Begode info and especially links for hollow bore bearings in particular.  I No longer own anything by GotWay/Begode after selling my Tesla, so I'm no longer in the loop.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EMA said:

i've mounted and tried the cst 6004 on an EX, really really good feeling about this tire

I can’t wait. I hope it gets here soon but I’m pretty sure it will be a 2-3month wait. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 8:35 PM, fbhb said:

IMHO, the genuine motor cycle tires are the Only way I will go in future for both the Sherman and the S18, as the usual standard EUC/bicycle tires just cannot compare in performance, toughness and longevity! 

+100, I don't get why all EUC brands keep going with bicycle tires (so that size nomenclatures).
What are they saving, 800 grs and $5 ?

They should go tubeless too, they'll save on the tube, and we wont see punctures that often, if not at all.
(once every year on EUC or bicycle vs no puncture on 95.000 kms with my tubeless scooter)

Unfortunately, that C6004 only exist in 2.5 & 2.75 R14 https://www.csttires.com/int/tire/c6004/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 9:00 AM, I2x2 said:

Yea, that site did seem sketchy since it’s not laid out like other online stores I’ve come across. I tried to search for other tires but it’s so difficult to navigate and search through.  I even tried to search for the C6004 again on my own and didn’t have any luck. I had to use the link you provided to get there again.

i did place my order and chose epackets 10-25 days since I’m not in a rush. 
So far I’ve paid close to CAD$100 total

first payment CAD$31.90, & second payment for freight USD$52.29->CAD$67

I’ll see when it the tire gets here if there’s any other fees.

Just got my tire today! 11 days to ship. I guess I picked a fast shipping method. I probably could of saved more on shipping. Lol oh well just happy it came. Big thanks to @fbhb for pointing me at the right direction for this tire

Edited by I2x2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, I2x2 said:

Just got my tire today! 11 days to ship. I guess I picked a fast shipping method.

Glad to hear you got it delivered so quickly, ya gotta be happy with that in the current China shipping delays environment!

4 hours ago, I2x2 said:

Big thanks to @fbhb for pointing me at the right direction for this tire

You'll have to report back on how you like it once you clock up some miles, I love the tire's performance on the S18 so it will be good to hear how it fairs on a different wheel?

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2