V8f. Riding modes and pedal stiffness.

Nostris

As a new V8f owner, I want to as what is the difference between the commute mode, and the Off-road mode? Also...when learning is it recommended to have pedal stiffness set at 100% or set with a softer pedal. I’ve been learning in commuter mode and 100% pedal stiffness...and been getting on fine, all be it learning on a grass paddock.  I was curious to know what settings others used, and why?

On 11/18/2020 at 3:12 PM, Nostris said:

As a new V8f owner, I want to as what is the difference between the commute mode, and the Off-road mode? Also...when learning is it recommended to have pedal stiffness set at 100% or set with a softer pedal. I’ve been learning in commuter mode and 100% pedal stiffness...and been getting on fine, all be it learning on a grass paddock.  I was curious to know what settings others used, and why?

I don't know the answer to the first question ("commute mode" vs "off-road mode"), but I think it's better/easier "when learning" to start with pedal stiffness at 100%, and then later you can experiment with varying pedal stiffness. Ultimately this just reduces the amount & types of movement involved which I hypothosize helps both simplify the set of muscle memory actions you need to learn to ride, but also helps psychologically to instill confidence in just how stable the wheel is capable of maintaining. (Lower pedal stiffness has some mechanical advantages, but ultimately also includes more movement of the pedals which your subconscious as a new rider will have trouble distinguishing from your general wobbliness/lack of confidence--so there's more "noise" in the feedback mechanism which your subconscious is trying to use to determine its success/failure/what it 'should' be doing.)

1 hour ago, Davem said:

That’s a great question and I’m also confused about pedal angulation- toes angled down, level or heels down? 

thanks 

I would argue for level. Although occasionally when teaching a new rider who's just a little too eager on acceleration in their first moments, I've found tilting pedals back a bit actually helps to back them off the acceleration a bit.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 10:13 AM, Davem said:

That’s a great question and I’m also confused about pedal angulation- toes angled down, level or heels down? 

thanks 

I find commute builds the acceleration more smoothly and offroad is slightly more instant. Commute likely saves power and is more efficient. 

Pedal stiffness is personal. I think 100% is good for learning. 

I angle toes down by 1 degree. I tried max angle and feels more agile. Law likes heel down a couple degrees. I think its totally personal preference. One practical application is if you are going up or down a steep hill. Angling to the face of the hill will assist in powering up it and or preparing to slow down w less effort.

• 5 months later...

2 month in V8F owner - switched to 90% today (still on commuter) and like the feel of it - a little more give than 100% stiffness but still lots of control.

Anyone riding the V8F on less than 90%?

When I go on longer rides I like to drop it down to 70% helps me to fight foot fatigue. On off-road mode I noticed it’s mor response on the throttle and break and on commuter mode it’s more smooth. I’m 220lbs and I ride my V8f like I stole it on mtb trails and on the streets. I can cruise at 20 mph long distances.(few miles) as long as there is no head wind it won’t overpower the wheel and give me that extreme tilt back. If you are riding around just chillin Commuter mode is good.If you’re going off-road or doing tight turns and more technical tricks off-road is your friend.

13 hours ago, Kennedy Moore said:

When I go on longer rides I like to drop it down to 70% helps me to fight foot fatigue. On off-road mode I noticed it’s mor response on the throttle and break and on commuter mode it’s more smooth. I’m 220lbs and I ride my V8f like I stole it on mtb trails and on the streets. I can cruise at 20 mph long distances.(few miles) as long as there is no head wind it won’t overpower the wheel and give me that extreme tilt back. If you are riding around just chillin Commuter mode is good.If you’re going off-road or doing tight turns and more technical tricks off-road is your friend.

Well, thanks for that!.  that was exactly the answer I was looking for!.. 👍

• Like 2