Jump to content

Gotway EX.N - speed version - no suspension


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, EMA said:

i still need to do my range test with it to do some comparisons

I would (& I'm sure others) will definitely appreciate that. Please try to explain from a base pov that does not have your reference experience. Infact consider me an ignoramus so I can grasp the concept.

Not asking cos I'm testing your english proficiency but cos I'm very interested in ordering the EX.N. GW being GW with all its hollow bearings, heating & whatever issues is what's been holding me back. But ya, of all the big wheels, the EX.N is in my target sight.  

Thanks bud

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i like it a lot, it's super fun, it's a heavier RS and ride almost like it, a dream in the city, carve machine with huge ground clearance and the best seated riding on the market .

So this is an EX-less EX. But which is not a RS/MSPro. But using the RS motor instead of the EX motor. And also not a Monster Pro. It's like watching a person go through some kind of trauma

Got my ex.n mss yesterday here's some pics    Just got used to it but the power is always there ready to take off, probably why battery goes down,, did some hills this morning and it went up

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

When will EWheels start carrying this wheel and do we know the price yet?

See: eWheels contracts outside company for custom battery packs - Begode (Gotway) - Electric Unicycle Forum (euc community)

(Doesn't give a timeline, but provides some context for the delay of these wheels appearing on eWheels.)

Edited by AtlasP
Link to post
Share on other sites

I modified my EXN already. Mine still has the green board and had no sponge filter. In my forest here we have some quite steep inclines and on one of my first rides i managed to get the temps up to  165°F (74°C) peaks. Much too hot for my taste.  Therefore i enlarged the air-out hole and put an 80mm fan on it, connected to the 12V output that was free on the board. I also drilled a few holes into the shell and glued sponge filter behind them from the inside. In case it gets too rainy, i could just put tape on the holes, but i never ride in rainy weather, anyway. Now the highest temp i got on my last run was 142°F / 62°C and cooling off much faster after the hill climbs. EUC World for the win! The new current measurement is awesome. I've set my current alarm to 40A and will dial down further until it trips on the steepest inclines i usually climb. I don't want to carry   a burnt wheel home...  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

See: eWheels contracts outside company for custom battery packs - Begode (Gotway) - Electric Unicycle Forum (euc community)

(Doesn't give a timeline, but provides some context for the delay of these wheels appearing on eWheels.)

Thanks, this just might be my next wheel, till than I’d be enjoying my msp hs:))

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been riding the EX.N for the last couple weeks and have some questions.

the EX.N rides hotter than my other wheels, but once it gets around 150F(65C) - It just kinda sits there unless I'm really stressing the wheel on a hill or something.  My take is the wheel just runs hotter, but not in a bad way?

Does the EX.N have more torque than the RS speed with the same motor?  If so, how?  What Exactly *technically, is the difference.  Higher power delivery from the batteries?

The EX.N has very little battery sag when riding at high speed - far less than the Sherman, at least in how both are reported via EUC world.  What does this mean?  Is this higher output from the batteries than other wheels?

the EX.N also seems to have a radical difference in range depending how ridden (edit: way more noticeable than my other wheels).  at 20mph average this is a true long distance wheel, but up that average to 30-35mph?  the battery can be emptied in a hurry!

Last question is random - there is a EX.N torque listed at Alien Rides - is this old new?  I miss something?

Edited by Ben Hatfield
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ben Hatfield said:

Last question is random - there is a EX.N torque listed at Alien Rides - is this old new?  I miss something?

New

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ben Hatfield said:

the EX.N rides hotter than my other wheels, but once it gets around 150F(65C) - It just kinda sits there unless I'm really stressing the wheel on a hill or something.  My take is the wheel just runs hotter, but not in a bad way?

This mostly has to do with the physical location of the temperature sensor on the board. If it's near the motor phases, it's warmer; if it's far away, it's cooler.

There are chip temperature values available at the IMU (MPU-6050) and the Microcontroller (STM32F).
The "reported temperature" is the one from the IMU, because its temperature is more important regarding self-balancing control... (confirmed for my 84V MSX at least)

The EX controller IMU, like most modern Gotways, is relatively close to the motor phases, and does not receive airflow from the cooling fan.
This is ok- it just means it's in a warmer physical location, so the reported temperature will be higher than if it were mounted somewhere else.

150F is fine.
The heatsink is much cooler than that.
Good that you saw the temperature stabilize.
 

11 hours ago, Ben Hatfield said:

Does the EX.N have more torque than the RS speed with the same motor?  If so, how?  What Exactly *technically, is the difference.  Higher power delivery from the batteries?

"Peak torque" is the torque at which the pedals start to dip- a very difficult maneuver for a rider to achieve at low speed.

It is determined by the physical properties of the motor (in this case, EX.N and RS:S are the same); and the amount of current delivered by the controller (limited by firmware).

I don't know the firmware current limit value for EX.N, but I suspect it's nearly identical to RS:S...

If one EUC "feels" more powerful (without pedal dip) than another EUC of the same size, that's to do with the self-balancing firmware; not hardware nor current limits.
 

11 hours ago, Ben Hatfield said:

The EX.N has very little battery sag when riding at high speed - far less than the Sherman, at least in how both are reported via EUC world.  What does this mean?  Is this higher output from the batteries than other wheels?

1C discharge for the EX.N is 30A
1C discharge for the Sherman is 35A

I would have expected Sherman voltage to sag less, for the same load.

Valid comparison is difficult... the pack temperature is very important when studying sag.

Were you comparing Volts? Or battery %?

 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ben Hatfield said:

Last question is random - there is a EX.N torque listed at Alien Rides - is this old new?  I miss something?

it's not official and still in "testing" but seems that a c38 version of EXN will come out some day

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Were you comparing Volts? Or battery %?

Both, but seems like going off Volts gives better specific data. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2021 at 7:53 PM, EMA said:

it's not official and still in "testing" but seems that a c38 version of EXN will come out some day

There's really nothing more to test, it's a RS HT control board and the familiar C38 motor, just with one more battery. Top speed should be identical with MSP/RS HT. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

There's really nothing more to test, it's a RS HT control board and the familiar C38 motor, just with one more battery. Top speed should be identical with MSP/RS HT. :)

firmware is different

Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be two different versions of the EXN available (similar to the RS speed and torque versions). Looking forward to testing the torque version, it should be an amazing wheel for the folks who are satisfied with 40mph.

We're taking batch 1 pre-orders here, product page is fairly sparse until we get our hands on it: https://alienrides.com/collections/electric-unicycles/products/gotway-begode-ex-n-torque

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Trevor Phillips said:

Can someone get me a monster pro torque version please

M24pro already has the most torque motor on planet ( c40 from EX ) , and it's really awesome , but still remains a 24' wheel ;)

Edited by EMA
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2021 at 5:41 PM, EMA said:

M24pro already has the most torque motor on planet ( c40 from EX ) , and it's really awesome , but still remains a 24' wheel ;)

Yeah I know, but if like a slower wind motor, I don’t need 80km/h I want 60km/h and to be able to full on lean into it and not easily overpower it

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Trevor Phillips said:

Yeah I know, but if like a slower wind motor, I don’t need 80km/h I want 60km/h and to be able to full on lean into it and not easily overpower it

It gets harder and harder to compensate for the larger wheel gearing it more towards speed. I don't see it happening any time soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trevor Phillips said:

Yeah I know, but if like a slower wind motor, I don’t need 80km/h I want 60km/h and to be able to full on lean into it and not easily overpower it

m24pro it's not easy to overpower ;) try it

Link to post
Share on other sites

ugh, rode a black board EXN and the firmware tuning is awful. soft, medium, hard all of them are rock hard like the MSP torque with none of the response. 

Does anyone have communication with Gotway regarding an OTA firmware update that can resolve the tuning for those of us who don’t go off-road or ride with jump pads? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

ugh, rode a black board EXN and the firmware tuning is awful. soft, medium, hard all of them are rock hard like the MSP torque with none of the response. 

Does anyone have communication with Gotway regarding an OTA firmware update that can resolve the tuning for those of us who don’t go off-road or ride with jump pads? 

are you sure ?
this behaviour (super hard) remind me exactly the 1st gen green board, i've a black board on mine and it's absolutely not like you describe

Edited by EMA
Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the best street tyre for the EXN? I have just ordered mine but new EXN come with knobby tyre which If have no interest in at all.

If i can get recommendations and the tyre size so i can have a look online it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HighEndScooters said:

What's the best street tyre for the EXN? I have just ordered mine but new EXN come with knobby tyre which If have no interest in at all.

If i can get recommendations and the tyre size so i can have a look online it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...