Jump to content

Hollow bore motor bearing failure Thread


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, tumbla.jr said:

I’m not sure what happened to the one that failed but it’s completely discolored compared to the other one. Even the bearing grease is a diff color.

image.jpg

discoloration shouldnt be an issue. and different grease formulas are just colored different, sometimes theres no change in chemical composition, its just the brand trying to be "different." and the rust you show seems to have come from being too DRY, like the existing grease just...got used up and exposed the metal enough to develop rust, and could even be tiny particles of dirt and streetwater that just mixed with the grease and remained over time, eventually the water drying out and then rusting. you could clean it all out with some quality degreaser, or even alcohol....and then use a heavy duty grease similar in viscosity to the same grease or even experiment with slightly lower (more liquidy) or higher viscosity (thicker), keeping in mind the range of temperatures your euc hits (via the data from euc world, darknessbot etc). and coat the entire inside of the bearing (leave no exposed metal part that can rust, so lay it on thick enough that it seeps into all the little areas. this can be some periodic maintenance thing, every few hundred miles depending on how you ride and what you ride in)

but anyway, things to keep in mind if you feel experimental and curious on ur next turnaround.

Dr Jekyll & Mr Glyde:eff034a94a: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hollow bore/centreless/hubless motors will always wear out faster than traditional axle motors, given the same bearing material for the following reasons: Being further away from the centre, eac

I'd like to bring up two points that add to the shortcomings of the hollow motor design.   First, if you look closely at the black part, the outer housing of the motor you will see that ther

We're comparing two designs: MSuper with bearing size 6203 MSuper with bearing size 61824 Everything else about the bearing loads are equal: Same rider weight Same pedal

Posted Images

9 hours ago, StealthPhoenix said:

this can be some periodic maintenance thing, every few hundred miles depending on how you ride and what you ride in

jesus, having to clean and replace bearing grease every few hundred miles (every week or couple weeks for some of us) sounds like a new rung of hell.

Edited by AtlasP
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

jesus, having to clean and replace bearing grease every few hundred miles (every week or couple weeks for some of us) sounds like a rung of hell.

Yup double Jeeeesus here!! Made me super happy I decided to hold on to the RS or EX upgrade til this whole mess settles. Just the thought of cleaning & repacking bearings every few hundred miles gives me the goosies, nevermind replacing them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

jesus, having to clean and replace bearing grease every few hundred miles (every week or couple weeks for some of us) sounds like a rung of hell.

i feel the same with everyone touting "replace the bearings!" as optimal solution.

i just ride and charge. and thats my plan until i cant do either, for any reason. 

simple as that

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, buell47 said:

If I do not misunderstand anything here due to lack of English knowledge, then I would not give the slightest thing to your advice due to extreme lack of expertise from this statement at the latest. :shock2:

After this statement, I would ignore all your posts with technical content.
Bearing grease viscosity determination based on a control board temperature. :facepalm:

LOL shit you are absolutely right dude. ive had the euc for about a month now, and im still discovering my way around it. i got distracted while brainstorming i think and just made a huge error there. im glad you caught it!

i think i developed tunnel vision in just thinking mechanically and began to to experiment (in my mind) in that area only.

@buell47 you may say your english is not good (which i think is false), but i appreciate your brain! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StealthPhoenix said:

LOL shit you are absolutely right dude. ive had the euc for about a month now, and im still discovering my way around it. i got distracted while brainstorming i think and just made a huge error there. im glad you caught it!

i think i developed tunnel vision in just thinking mechanically and began to to experiment (in my mind) in that area only.

@buell47 you may say your english is not good (which i think is false), but i appreciate your brain! 

All good - 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just replaced the bearings on my friends RST. Only one bearing was bad. Obviously replaced both. 

 

Upon close inspection, I could tell that the bearing that was failing was definitely not installed as easily as the other one during factory assembly. I noticed that there was significant marking in the housing where the outer race of the bearing is pressed into. Also, on the side that had the bad bearing the housing was cracked. My friend is sending in the pictures, we will see what happens. We installed the bearing in spite of the cracked housing. The crack is definitely not good for the longevity of the wheel but hopefully begode may send him a new motor or a new housing at the very least.

 

I question the quality of the casting as well. I could see a few tiny bubbles or porosity in the machined areas of the housing where the bearings are pressed into.

 

The bearing change went well. Disappointed with the overall quality but not surprised based on everything I've heard and read. 

E4859C78-AAB0-4C26-9EBA-2E99C971765B_1_201_a.jpeg

D91C71E3-C60A-4B7C-BDF6-7289C196EDD4_1_201_a.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

That crack is nasty. Not sure I could ride freely knowing that was there. Almost surely caused by pressing the bearing in at a slight angle or not heating the housing first and/or cooling the bearing.

Chinese pot metal is crap at the best of times, let alone when it's cracked. Be careful with that wheel...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Planemo said:

That crack is nasty. Not sure I could ride freely knowing that was there. Almost surely caused by pressing the bearing in at a slight angle or not heating the housing first and/or cooling the bearing.

Chinese pot metal is crap at the best of times, let alone when it's cracked. Be careful with that wheel...

I agree! I'm hopeful he will get good a new housing in a timely manner at the very least. He will not be nailing any jumps in the meantime LOL;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that's crazy. I can't see how that bearing crack came about since the axle isn't attached to the bearing so there's no high stress vectors even on a heavy jump or other. Are my assumptions wrong here?

If they aren't, then either the bearings are crap or this new hollow bore thangy needs a complete redesign.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@pontoonpete I know you said the damaged bearing showed signs of an improper install (I think Vee put a video up of gotway using a mallet haha) but did either bearing show signs of water damage? 

Now I want to pull my motor and check for cracks, I don't have any issues right now but I'd like to get that handled whil under warranty of there is any. 

Seems like every step forward had a step back with gotway right now...... but I'm loving the off road hill climbing on this wheel! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

hello guys, I have read about your solutions you and @StealtPhoenix and it would be important to know if the problem has been definitively solved, in this case let us know ;) unfortunatly my "tock" comes and goes randomly! 

Just to Know a wheel friend has found an interesting solution to the "dirt and the like" problem I post the link: https://www.facebook.com/100020450169922/videos/692036861487980/
is working on a final version

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 12:12 PM, NordEstEuc said:

hello guys, I have read about your solutions you and @StealtPhoenix and it would be important to know if the problem has been definitively solved, in this case let us know ;) unfortunatly my "tock" comes and goes randomly! 

Just to Know a wheel friend has found an interesting solution to the "dirt and the like" problem I post the link: https://www.facebook.com/100020450169922/videos/692036861487980/
is working on a final version

for me the noise is gone now for 300 miles

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm facing knock issue on my EX, seems like the knock is caused by bearing not aligned still working on it, will post picture

Edited by EMA
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

I wonder why no one with these bearing problems rebuilds the bearings with this stuff

When bearings sit so loose is essential! 

Agree, the factory use something similar 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

You're probably talking about the guy with the hot glue gun, but that's not the right thing to do. :roflmao:

lol i get it now .... :clap3:

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

I wonder why no one with these bearing problems rebuilds the bearings with this stuff

When bearings sit so loose is essential! 

ive been monitoring the various ideas everyone has been having regarding these problems...

but there is NO problem if you waterproof your euc BEFORE EVER going out to ride in rain or snow. jumps and stunts would be better if you exchanged with the shorter pedal hangers that increase height. for the knocking noise, i already posted solution

but the key thing is this: when you use the euc for things it was never advertised to be used for, especially the stock version, without any waterproofing treatment or modifications, then you should expect some negative result - your euc failing on you.

you are suggesting LOCTITE to hold the bearing on the cover and/or axle. 

i saw someone elses video where they are applying GREASE AND LUBRICATION to the axle where the bearing goes on

lol a new person would be perfectly confused who to follow, what to do

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, StealthPhoenix said:

but the key thing is this: when you use the euc for things it was never advertised to be used for, especially the stock version, without any waterproofing treatment or modifications, then you should expect some negative result - your euc failing on you.

The V11 is rated IP55 though so it should stand up to rain, obviously they didn't foresee the bearing problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...