are EUC legal in China ?

helmet

I've seen vids of ppl wheelin' with flipflops so I ain't surprised if they don't wear them helmets. Anyhoos I see Kuji Rolls scream round the city, no issues although he does get the boot sometimes. Never heard he got stopped by local cops though.

9 hours ago, Low-Battery said:

600 is awfully high for a ticket.  Is that from riding a unicycle?

In BC Canada, operating a motorized vehicle without a license in public is over $600 CDN under the motor vehicle act but without demerits so it can’t affect a driver’s license. 

The province hasnt been actively going after PEV, but there were articles many years back of a Eskater slapped w this fine. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Low-Battery said:

600 is awfully high for a ticket.  Is that from riding a unicycle?

In Germany riding one of these is a full blown felony with possible time in prison, at least in theory. A EUC is not approved for use on public roads and therefore cannot be insured, and riding an uninsured vehicle on public roads is a big no no. In addition to that driving licence or test for these things exists, so in theory you are guilty of driving without a licence too. Not to mention that riding a vehicle that is not approved for use on public roads is an offence all by itself.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kekafuch said:

In BC Canada, operating a motorized vehicle without a license in public is over $600 CDN under the motor vehicle act but without demerits so it can’t affect a driver’s license. 

The province hasnt been actively going after PEV, but there were articles many years back of a Eskater slapped w this fine. 

Thats good to know.

19 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

In Germany riding one of these is a full blown felony with possible time in prison, at least in theory. A EUC is not approved for use on public roads and therefore cannot be insured, and riding an uninsured vehicle on public roads is a big no no. In addition to that driving licence or test for these things exists, so in theory you are guilty of driving without a licence too. Not to mention that riding a vehicle that is not approved for use on public roads is an offence all by itself.

What about riding on trails or off road?

1 hour ago, Inmotion Global said:

It's illegal to ride in China both on the mainroad or pavement. You will get around $3 fine riding on the pavement, around $7 riding on the mainroad. But i ride pass the police everyday at the morning who' on duty at the intersection and never got pull over and got fine. So basically you can still ride even if it's illeagl.

$7... That just makes it a toll road!

Still cheaper than petrol, parking, et cetera.

• Like 1

The law is the law. It's not always enforced. Sometimes it only serves as a leverage for penalty if and when needed. I and my wife rented locally and rode KingSong and Inmotion in Guangzhou and Chengdu on sidewalks, on trails and by the riverside. No one or cops ever bothered or pull us over. Realistically, if you look at the traffic conditions in China, do you think cops really have time to bother with little characters and vehicles like EUC riders? As long as you ride responsibly and respectfully, no one will bother you. Love the sceneries there, food is great, people mind their own business. It only cost us usd10/ day when we were there versus Paris usd80/day. If a cop happens to stop you, consider it your lucky day or you really did something a-social or antisocial.

Edited by scubadragosan

12 hours ago, Inmotion Global said:

It's illegal to ride in China both on the mainroad or pavement. You will get around $3 fine riding on the pavement, around $7 riding on the mainroad. But i ride pass the police everyday at the morning who' on duty at the intersection and never got pull over and got fine. So basically you can still ride even if it's illeagl.

$3 & $7 combined barely buys a decent lunch over here. I don't know whether to be amused, sad or outraged!

That said, considering the pollution issues in China's big cities (&other parts of Asian to be fair), I'm flabbergasted that none of the powers that be are promoting PEVs as a legal & legit form of transport. While EUCs might not work for the masses, eScooters (of the bike variety) & eBikes certainly would.

Been to Taipei & they have an amazing infrastructure for eScoots with battery replacement stations making it legit as heck. There's so many things we can ban & restrict but PEVs (or atleast certain forms of it) shouldn't be. Plus its so easy to implement as the city planners only need to allocate lanes & space. There won't even be a need for grants nor other such aid since all such devices are bought & paid for by the consumer themselves.

Regs restricting PEVs to specific lanes & other such throughways plus specific safety gear would go a long way to alleviating fossil fuel based issues, atleast in highly urbanized centers.

8 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

That said, considering the pollution issues in China's big cities (&other parts of Asian to be fair), I'm flabbergasted that none of the powers that be are promoting PEVs as a legal & legit form of transport. While EUCs might not work for the masses, eScooters (of the bike variety) & eBikes certainly would.

Many regions in China already leading the way for personal electric vehicles. Even tier 2 cities are mostly electric scooters from what I can tell. EUC is a luxury lifestyle, Chinese people are practical... the electric scooter rules the road and is cheaper than a veteran sherman. They have models that carry families and livestock :) 

In most cities, There are police officers who stand at intersections and busy scooter lanes to direct traffic, check licenses, and enforce whats On the road. 

• Like 1

Yes, China with its immense population has every reason to be the leader of green movement and she has put in great effort more than any other countries toward that. I always wonder just how serious the world is about fighting global climate change. Petro cars are still dominating the market and they aren't disappearing soon. People like Trump ignorant as hell who refuses to acknowledge the scientific facts, I am really glad this demogogue is out of office. Lazy U.S. bureaucrats really haven't done much in terms of legislature both nationally and locally to acknowledge and encourage the use of alternative, green transportation like PEVs. One phenomenon I have observed positive coming out of COVID is that people are using more alternative means of transportation both for fun and daily use such as skateboards, e-bikes, EUCs...etc.  A second phenomenon I observed is that if COVID virus keeps thriving, the world's population will slowly get reduced. Is that good depends on your perspective? Is this world overpopulated? No easy answer?

The Chinese way of doing things is from top to bottom. Police don't care about details, but the bigger picture.

Unless there's an inspection going on at which all officers are taking their jobs too seriously and enforcing all the rules and even imaginary rules as well. Just so they appear being in charge and doing their job.

Thing is, on a normal day where little is enforced, there isn't really an increase in accidents. The traffic police are basically just there to help motorists in case of traffic jams or sort out benderbender disputes.

Traffic in China is very very slow, compared to the west. An euc rider doing 20-40km/h can easily keep up with traffic in 90% of places. Roads are very wide too which makes it kind of safe. You have to look out for road damage though. A road can go from perfection to pothole ridden in a relatively short time because of the amount of traffic. They do get fixed quite fast after they deteriorate though. As an euc rider it is a concern though. The same route you did yesterday could have a surprise in store today.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...