Kingsong S18 battery completely discharged

Solent

Hello,

Please help. I'm having the exact same issue with both my wheels. I'm an occasional rider and only ride for a couple of hours at the time. I always charge the battery after each ride. My 1st wheel was a 16XS and my current is an S18. My first wheel got replaced for a different wheel (the S18) because the battery died after just a couple of months of riding it. The battery went down to 0% which killed it. I have no idea how this happened and was assuming it was just a faulty battery. 

Yesterday, I wanted to ride my S18 and no matter how much I held the power button down, the wheel wouldn't start. I plugged the charger in and a little spark with a clicking noise occurred at the socket. The charger blinked red and green and then stayed solid green. I wrote to EWheels (USA) who said to leave it plugged in all night, which I did. This morning I was able to start the wheel but the EUC app says that the battery is at 0%.

I don't understand. I'm doing everything accordingly. I always ride with a full battery, never go below 50%, charge it after each ride, and always unplug the charger when it turns green. I've had the S18 for a few months now and did less than 200 miles. Why is this happening again??

• Like 2

What voltage does it display for 0% battery? If you can get it to full and the charger is green, what voltage does it display then?

How many km/miles did you have on the 16XS (roughly)?

The only thing I can remotely come up with: battery cells need to be balanced regularly (like once a month would be good). That only happens at full charge. Maybe you always removed the charger (when it went green) when it was still too low for that? Keep the charger in for a few hours after it goes green once in a while, to allow for (more) balancing.

But I don't think that is it. Even unbalanced cells wouldn't just fail like this and this quickly. This is indeed strange, but it does look like the problem is somehow related to what you do:confused1:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Solent said:

I don't understand. I'm doing everything accordingly. I always ride with a full battery, never go below 50%, charge it after each ride, and always unplug the charger when it turns green. I've had the S18 for a few months now and did less than 200 miles. Why is this happening again??

Wasn't there some "strange self discharge" with some firmware versions and the 16x? Maybe the S18 has something similar?

The S18 with his ?20s3p? battery organization does not have two packs which could be charged independend? 

And as @meepmeepmayer wrote, battery should be charged a bit longer once the charger shows the green led for balancing (but depends on the charger - most show the green led too early). But this should not cause this problem...

Best to stay in contact with ewheels - maybe they find the cause/a solution?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What voltage does it display for 0% battery? If you can get it to full and the charger is green, what voltage does it display then?

How many km/miles did you have on the 16XS (roughly)?

The only thing I can remotely come up with: battery cells need to be balanced regularly (like once a month would be good). That only happens at full charge. Maybe you always removed the charger (when it went green) when it was still too low for that? Keep the charger in for a few hours after it goes green once in a while, to allow for (more) balancing.

But I don't think that is it. Even unbalanced cells wouldn't just fail like this and this quickly. This is indeed strange, but it does look like the problem is somehow related to what you do:confused1:

When the wheel is on, the voltage starts at 45V put keeps on going down. It looses 0.1 every second. I also want to say that I always remove the charger after I check with EUC that the battery is 100%.

The 16XS had less than 200 miles as well.

It ain't  related to something I do since we have 2 other wheels, the Inmotion V11 and Solowheel Glide 3 that get used and charged the same way, and we never had any battery issues with those, or any issues of any sorts.

S18 is 20s3p is it not? -45v/20=avg 2.25v per cell - way below where these should go. I would think below where bms would prevent you from even charging. @smallexis might have thoughts on this strange situation as he is batt guru.

I can't see how anything but a phantom drain on your batt can lead to this. EZ enough to check - charge to full. Check voltage with DMM. Turn on wheel then turn off. Check for voltage drop after 1 day,3 days etc. On ks16x, after charging, if you do not turn on then turn off wheel,btooth module (maybe more) stays awake and would cause some drain if you were not gonna ride for many days. But I can't see anything like draining to 45V etc... @Seba may have useful input as well...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amelanso said:

I can't see how anything but a phantom drain on your batt can lead to this. EZ enough to check - charge to full. Check voltage with DMM. Turn on wheel then turn off. Check for voltage drop after 1 day,3 days etc. On ks16x, after charging, if you do not turn on then turn off wheel,btooth module (maybe more) stays awake and would cause some drain if you were not gonna ride for many days. But I can't see anything like draining to 45V etc... @Seba may have useful input as well...

Unfortunately I can't even charge it. It won't go pass 0%. I'm waiting on Ewheels to answer my email. I'll post their answer/troubleshooting here. 

6 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Short of leaving a fully charged wheel in a very hot parked car for a couple of hours I cant think of anything that would kill a battery that quickly.

Nope, I drove it to and from home and charged it my office room. It was never exposed to extreme heat or cold.

1 hour ago, Jack King Song said:

I think it's due to a faulty BMS. eWheels will be able to offer you direct warranty support, I'll esclate this issue. 

yeah that is the most likely explanation. I had a cheap generic wheel that I left in my basement for three years after an injury took the starch out of me while I was still learning to ride. It wouldnt charge after that either. When I removed the battery pack twelve of the sixteen cells were perfectly fine at 3.7V, but four cells, all next to each other, were completely dead.

• 2 months later...

Like OP Solent, I'm only an occasional rider, a beginner at best. I started with the S18 preordered and everything has been great until this morning. I wanted to ride my S18 but no matter how much I held the power button down, the wheel wouldn't start. I plugged the charger in and a little spark with a clicking noise occurred at the socket. The charger blinked red and green and then stayed solid green. The app says it was charging over voltage and that it was dead but I fully charged it like 2 weeks ago and it's just been sitting in my room. Repeat and it clicks again, flashes and now stays red. I now have charge but it won't move or balance... Darknessbot diagnostics all looked normal but I can get anything but the headlight to work.. any suggestions would be much appreciated.. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this is your issue similar to what happened to my KS16X. After completed charging my KS16X, several days later I found 16X battery is drained. Then I found out that after charging and unplugging 16X, there is a light inside that would continuously blink and that's what drained the battery. To prevent the battery drain, after completed charging, I would have to power the wheel on once and then turn off before I put the wheel away. I don't know why this extra step is necessary, but that's the way it is. Hope your issue is the same!

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/20300-end-of-charge-battery-drain-workarounds/?do=findComment&comment=360218

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(added URL for others)
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...