Jump to content

WTB Starter EUC in Southern California (235lbs)


Recommended Posts

I learned on an msx 100 volt, you may want to consider just getting an euc that will keep you happy for a while. I still have mine, might consider selling if the price was right. Send me a message if interested.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite sure what an MSX is, but to expand on what I'm eyeing: I'm looking at the inmotion V8f or V10F, Kingsong 16S other than that I'm open to suggestions. I would like something I can "master" then move up to the Sherman.

 

Edited by TheMasterSword
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

Locksong 16X perhaps? You won't outgrow it, but maybe its not too large for the kids? You could always just buy a sherman and lets your kids walk or buy their own. I don't know what you mean by 'master' a wheel? Perhaps a little more clarity about where and how you plan on using the wheels? A wheel fit for a 235lb man and kids... there's a compromise in there somewhere... Don't underestimate the battery needs of a 235lb man. I also wouldnt assume a sherman as the end goal. It all depends on needs, as the sherm fits a niche and certain need, but its not the best all arounder for sure. Gotway makes the msx. Theres a TON of wheels to choose from, spend time browsing and reading, as its a big investment and your intent/weight could make a few of them a bad idea. Hell, maybe the 16x isnt enough for 235lbs, someone else will chime in Im sure. Msx is probably more suited for heavier people, mayhaps not so much for children. Unless your children are grown?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Locksong 16X perhaps? You won't outgrow it, but maybe its not too large for the kids? You could always just buy a sherman and lets your kids walk or buy their own. I don't know what you mean by 'master' a wheel? Perhaps a little more clarity about where and how you plan on using the wheels?

 FYI, I haven't used a forum in like probably 15yrs or so, this forum is pretty slick, it seems like it's run by AI or something, really neat.

Ok, so what I mean by master is: There are some people that buy a 1100CC motorcycle and they are forever scared of it, can never really let loose on it, because of this, they never increase in skill and sell off their bike. Then there's the guy that wants an 1100cc engine, but starts out with a 125cc, masters it easily, then gets a 250,  then a 500 and masters that. By the time the person gets to the 1100cc engine, they're not scared of it,  they don't have cold sweats when they shift down on the freeway and the tire gets loose momentarily or freak out when they hit the gas and the tire comes loose for a moment, they can ride it like it was a part of their own body.

I figure they same thing is probably true for EUC (although I'm not 100% sure of it) If I were to get Veteran, it would probably take a very long time until I'm comfortable being risky with it, on the other hand if I get a smaller wheel and takes risks on it, I may learn to master it much easier, then move my way up.

 

As for getting one I could give to the kiddos, I was under the impression I could buy an mten3 or v5 and pass it along until I saw a video of a skinny guy about 90-130lbs, do a bunny hop on one and completely destroy it. BTW why do you call kingsong, locksong?

Edited by TheMasterSword
adding more, grammar
Link to post
Share on other sites

Euc's arent the same as motorcycles per your analogy. I get what you're saying, but I still immensely enjoy my little mten, just as much as my larger wheels. I also am just a 130lb guy tho. I enjoyed my cbr1100xx for many many years, and now ride a small sm400. I cant say I've mastered any of it, tho I felt more comfortable on my 1100 than a lot of smaller bikes. the difference in a big and small wheel, isnt really measured in fear. Its the slow speed of both that is the worst part. Of my wheels, when the mten asks me to dance... now thats scary! Fear is trying to treat a small wheel like a large one, and ending up in an overlean problem. Irnoically, the mten has more offline torque than any, and THATS what will bite ya when you are first learning. I am farily comfortable on my veteran, at least 100 miles worth . Im UBER comfy on my others. I dont think its the size that creates the comfort (or lack), its the fact that I have the least amount of time on the vet. Tbh, my goto wheel is  locksong 18L. Its probably because it was my first and it just hits MY sweet spot. We call it locksong because they have been known to geolock a wheel that is not purchased from the correct region, therefore locking a wheel or its abilities via firmware. Theres an entire raging debate on this, so we wont go into it here.  Basically, buy your wheels from a known retailer or someone locally who KNOWS its not going to be locked.

I keep looking for that motorcycle like speed and cornering in a euc, and its a fools errand. Don't get caught up in the same trap I did. Those of us that try to see them like little motorcycles, are realizing that the batetry limitations are not going away any time really soon. The difference in an euc is the top speeds are barely 50mph and for mere moments. IN contrast, a bullshit 125cc gas bike can do 60mph till it runs out of gas. The euc is its own experience, and being aware of its limitations, may save you some grief.

You could more than likely pick ANY wheel and have the same chances of learning to ride it, before you get frustrated and give up. I think its more about YOU, than the wheels. I also dont think too many people are destroying their wheels from the simpler falls you will face while learning. Bunny hop on and mten is NOT a learner skill and durr... I mean pick one up, its got a limit to how tough it can be. I hop mine up/down curbs, but im only 130lbs. I also am ready to break the little damn thing, should I do something stupid and drop from a huge distance. Even so, I use my KNEES on drops, just like a skater has to. If you dont absorb a drop, shit breaks... I think in learning, you will be more focused on if you have enough battery to not overlean it as you progress.

There are TONS of posts here about which wheel to get. Rather than repeat the same script we've all posted, I'll be lazy and tell you to look for that topic. Since Im lazy, i won't find you the link, but its a common question.. Which wheel. *shameless plug...in my signature theres a link to vids of me enjoying 3 of the 4 wheels I've owned. I dont know if its informative, but im told i can be entertaining to watch, like a monkey **cking a football!

You need to know if you plan on carrying it for an distance or up stairs. DO you plan on pushing the envelope and falling off at speeed from your own whims? Do you want to offroad? Do you plan on long ass trips and wnat to buy heavy and big batteries? Do you plan on riding in rain? Do you plan on being thrifty or investing from the start? Lots of choices and these details will help you narrow it down. Dont get caught up in the 'bigger' is better. You WILL need a certain size as you are pretty hefty, but that doesnt mean the biggest wheel is the best fit. Look artound some, theres a few good eaters that ride varied brands and it fullfills their needs. There is not ONE WHEEL TO RULE THEM ALL!! Lots of us own multiple wheels, even tho we bought our first one, assuming we'd only need one and would never need faster than 20mph.  Its a damn disease I tell you!

Welcome to the forums! Yes, its quite a nice place. I am also amazed how smoothly it runs, tho our wonderful moderators stay out of it for the most part. Hmm... maybe we should all group together, build an island and start our own colony?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Euc's arent the same as motorcycles per your analogy. I get what you're saying, but I still immensely enjoy my little mten, just as much as my larger wheels. I also am just a 130lb guy tho. I enjoyed my cbr1100xx for many many years, and now ride a small sm400. I cant say I've mastered any of it, tho I felt more comfortable on my 1100 than a lot of smaller bikes. the difference in a big and small wheel, isnt really measured in fear. Its the slow speed of both that is the worst part. Of my wheels, when the mten asks me to dance... now thats scary! Fear is trying to treat a small wheel like a large one, and ending up in an overlean problem. Irnoically, the mten has more offline torque than any, and THATS what will bite ya when you are first learning. I am farily comfortable on my veteran, at least 100 miles worth . Im UBER comfy on my others. I dont think its the size that creates the comfort (or lack), its the fact that I have the least amount of time on the vet. Tbh, my goto wheel is  locksong 18L. Its probably because it was my first and it just hits MY sweet spot. We call it locksong because they have been known to geolock a wheel that is not purchased from the correct region, therefore locking a wheel or its abilities via firmware. Theres an entire raging debate on this, so we wont go into it here.  Basically, buy your wheels from a known retailer or someone locally who KNOWS its not going to be locked.

I keep looking for that motorcycle like speed and cornering in a euc, and its a fools errand. Don't get caught up in the same trap I did. Those of us that try to see them like little motorcycles, are realizing that the batetry limitations are not going away any time really soon. The difference in an euc is the top speeds are barely 50mph and for mere moments. IN contrast, a bullshit 125cc gas bike can do 60mph till it runs out of gas. The euc is its own experience, and being aware of its limitations, may save you some grief.

You could more than likely pick ANY wheel and have the same chances of learning to ride it, before you get frustrated and give up. I think its more about YOU, than the wheels. I also dont think too many people are destroying their wheels from the simpler falls you will face while learning. Bunny hop on and mten is NOT a learner skill and durr... I mean pick one up, its got a limit to how tough it can be. I hop mine up/down curbs, but im only 130lbs. I also am ready to break the little damn thing, should I do something stupid and drop from a huge distance. Even so, I use my KNEES on drops, just like a skater has to. If you dont absorb a drop, shit breaks... I think in learning, you will be more focused on if you have enough battery to not overlean it as you progress.

There are TONS of posts here about which wheel to get. Rather than repeat the same script we've all posted, I'll be lazy and tell you to look for that topic. Since Im lazy, i won't find you the link, but its a common question.. Which wheel.

You need to know if you plan on carrying it for an distance or up stairs. DO you plan on pushing the envelope and falling off at speeed from your own whims? Do you want to offroad? Do you plan on long ass trips and wnat to buy heavy and big batteries? Do you plan on riding in rain? Do you plan on being thrifty or investing from the start? Lots of choices and these details will help you narrow it down. Dont get caught up in the 'bigger' is better. You WILL need a certain size as you are pretty hefty, but that doesnt mean the biggest wheel is the best fit. Look artound some, theres a few good eaters that ride varied brands and it fullfills their needs.

Welcmoe to the forums! Yes, its quite a nice place. I am also amazed how smoothly it runs, tho our wonderful moderators stay out of it for the most part. Hmm... maybe we should all group together, build an island and start our own colony?

I live in the suburbs and plan on using it on the sidewalk and streets when safe, mostly flat pavement and I would not mind doing small errands on it. Mostly I want to ride those long rides that Marty Backe goes on, those look like fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a bigger diameter wheel, easier to ride distance. I learned on a 14” and it was hard to ride at any speed for me, but I am 260, so that is why I am very happy on my GotWay msx100 volt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Marty Backehas a collection and has many many miles of riding. I don't know if he uses the same wheel for small errands and for the kids, as he does for those grueling long runs. Sounds to me like you already need at least 2 wheels, maybe more (depending on how many kids). Since the bigger wheels cost more and are less kid friendly, I'd look squarely into the ks16x or similar. You wont get those uber long rides, but its probably good for errands and kids. DOnt forget, the sherm weighs 80+lbs, is $3000 and steers like a damn RV. I dont think it like rain and trolleying it is a bitch. See, compromises. Still a damn fine wheel, just depends on your usage needs. Even tho you are 235lbs, theres MANY wheels that will hold you just fine. Its all about how you ride, as we see skinny bastards overleaning big wheels. For new riders, overlean isnt so common, as superman lean and death grip is a learned skill.

@Fuerte has a point. How big and capable are your kids? I still think they should buy their own. I mean sh** when did kids get so damn spoiled? When I wanted a new bicycle, I had to mow yards or steal it. An euc woulda taken 12 yrs to save up for, and noone leaves those unlocked by the pool! Get the big wheel and a small bicycle. :)

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/65-which-electric-unicycle-to-get/

 

 

 

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes it a LOT easier. GO with something larger. One of the many 18" wheels with big packs.  I don't know if i'd go for the BIGGEST wheel for a starter, but hell, if you primarily plan to go on long rides like marty does.... get the big one or just follow in his footsteps. He's a REALLY nice guy (havent seen him in a bit). Check out his channel and what applies to him, closely applies to you. Last i heard he was on a sherm or msp? One of the bigger ones for sure, as its a mountain area and he aint scared to put down some miles. Im of the camp to NOT waste $$ on a throwaway wheel. If you are determined to learn, get the one that fits your current needs. Regardless what wheel, you WILL learn to ride it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

That makes it a LOT easier. GO with something larger. One of the many 18" wheels with big packs.  I don't know if i'd go for the BIGGEST wheel for a starter, but hell, if you primarily plan to go on long rides like marty does.... get the big one or just follow in his footsteps. He's a REALLY nice guy (havent seen him in a bit). Check out his channel and what applies to him, closely applies to you. Last i heard he was on a sherm or msp? One of the bigger ones for sure, as its a mountain area and he aint scared to put down some miles. Im of the camp to NOT waste $$ on a throwaway wheel. If you are determined to learn, get the one that fits your current needs. Regardless what wheel, you WILL learn to ride it.

This puts everything in context, ty!

Link to post
Share on other sites

V5F and KS16S will just be a pain. I'm fat, I killed my KS16S after a 1000km. It's not a wheel for a > 100kg person, MSX is way sturdier. I second 18' or more.

The motorcycle example is incorrect. The engine doesn't force you to ride fast and recklessly, it just gives you margin. And on EUC margin == safety. I ride my MSX at 30km/h, I'm too risk-averse to ride faster, even though I can. :D

You don't need a smaller wheel to train, you can learn to ride even on a Monster. Just add a lot of padding.

Edited by atdlzpae
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

 Just add a lot of padding.

Speaking of padding I saw some shorts on Amazon that have padding all the way around, I was thinking if I'm going to eat it, I might as well be able to throw myself on my haunches and ride it out. What's it like to crash on an EUC, do you mostly scrape elbows, knees or buttocks or is it a luck of the draw and you end up face planting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

V5F and KS16S will just be a pain. I'm fat, I killed my KS16S after a 1000km. It's not a wheel for a > 100kg person, MSX is way sturdier.

The motorcycle analogy is strange... The engine doesn't force you to ride fast and recklessly. It just gives you margin. And on EUC margin == safety. I ride my MSX at 30km/h, it didn't control my mind to ride at 50. :D

You don't need a smaller wheel to train, you can learn to ride even on a Monster. Just add a lot of padding.

Bingo!! I rode my 130lb ass on a cbr1100xx daily. It was the safest bike I've ever ridden. Its not about how fast, but the smooth delivery of power.  Tho electric doesnt have a power curve like a bike, it has a cutoff point. You want a wheel that has MORE energy in it, than you plan to need. This is safer. My bigger bike also had better brakes, and a great overall gyro feel to it. Yes, it could go near 200mph, but when ridden safely, it was UBER safe. Headroom is king on an euc. Bigger wheels are more stable at higher speeds, typically. Once you learn to ride your first wheel, it won't seem big or small, it will be ALL you know. If you start big, EVERY wheel after it will seem stupid small.... and also stupid fun.

@TheMasterSwordYour first injuries will be minor and bruises to the ankles. Inside of your leg will bitch. Padding the wheel solves it somewhat. If you like to catch yourself, you better grab some flexmeters for the wrists.  After you begin to ride above 10mph, your injuries will mimic that of when you run too fast down a hill. Your feet hit, they cant keep up, you fall forward. Of course, this is all guessing, as crashes are fun because you dont know how its gna go.:roflmao:

This is more a topic than a wanted to buy. It may do you well to create another topic in another spot, if you want to keep going. I just noticed myself, and I've already flooded the for sale. I try to only flood EVERYWHERE else.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do people tether themselves to their EUC, I've seen so many accidents where the guy just jumps off and the EUC keeps going and with every bounce it seems to shatter like porcelain. I'm guessing if you have a 4 or 5 foot strap, it will go until it's jerked back by the strap and stop.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TheMasterSword said:

Speaking of padding I saw some shorts on Amazon that have padding all the way around, I was thinking if I'm going to eat it, I might as well be able to throw myself on my haunches and ride it out. What's it like to crash on an EUC, do you mostly scrape elbows, knees or buttocks or is it a luck of the draw and you end up face planting.

From most to least important:
1. Wristguards - helpful during every faceplant
2. Helmet - you don't need a full-face, just normal bicycle is enough in 99% of cases
3. Knee pads
4. Elbow pads

Just buy the cheapest ones in your local sports store, they are good enough at low speeds. My set costed about $30 (helmet + others) and I survived like 10 face-plants.
There is no need to go full-on-padding-all-the-way-around, unless you ride really fast.
During a faceplant you fall forwards (so you use hands to soften the landing and knees to fall).

20 minutes ago, TheMasterSword said:

Do people tether themselves to their EUC, I've seen so many accidents where the guy just jumps off and the EUC keeps going and with every bounce it seems to shatter like porcelain. I'm guessing if you have a 4 or 5 foot strap, it will go until it's jerked back by the strap and stop.

No, tethering wouldn't save your wheel in an accident. If a faceplant happens, you just pray for the wheel. :D

#########################

If you really want a "training wheel", maybe buy a second hand AirWheel X3 for $150? That's the only thing these wheels are good for anyway...
As for realistic "time to learn", it depends. It took me 3h to ride the first km, and I saw people take from 0h to 20h.

 

Edited by atdlzpae
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheMasterSword said:

Thanks for all the advice though, it sure helps me figure things out better, I think I'm going for the Veteran Sherman, it seems to be great on pavement and 80lbs is nothing to me.

 

i wouldnt strap 80lbs to my wrist. Im selfish tho, I'd rather keep my hand attached, than worry about other people or the wheel. Having said that, I have made it near 1,000 miles and have yet to set a wheel 'free', aside from a tumble of a few feet on a mountain. I'm sure itll happen, but not so far. The sherman is definitely an option. Don't assume its the best, but maybe it is. Its a fairly new wheel and new company, so be sure to buy from somewhere you trust. There may be a wait on getting one, and christmas is coming, so you better get on it. 80lbs is a LOT to me. Both to carry (its an odd carry) and to toss around curves. It does tick off the speed/range boxes tho. You do notice the weight when riding. Not that its tiring like carrying, but it doesnt magically go away and become a nimble wheel. I'd see what Marty has to say. If he still prefers his, that would be good enough for me...assuming i wanted to ride where/how he does.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

80lbs is a LOT to me. Both to carry (its an odd carry) and to toss around curves.

Yeah, carrying that monster is gonna be a PITA... But at lest the trolley handle is in the center of the mass, unlike the MSupers...

Edited by atdlzpae
Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW I was 250 when I started out on a V5F. V8 was my main wheel for a few months, 16S also. The V5F complained when I went up one particularly steep hill, but allowed me to get off on my own terms. I've moved heavy objects (large barricades) around the neighborhood riding a 16S. I on to bigger wheels now of course, bigger is definitely better, but you can work any of those wheels as a starter wheel. Even an MTen3 works just fine, I have one of those as well. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 10:26 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

i wouldnt strap 80lbs to my wrist. Im selfish tho, I'd rather keep my hand attached, than worry about other people or the wheel. Having said that, I have made it near 1,000 miles and have yet to set a wheel 'free', aside from a tumble of a few feet on a mountain. I'm sure itll happen, but not so far. The sherman is definitely an option. Don't assume its the best, but maybe it is. Its a fairly new wheel and new company, so be sure to buy from somewhere you trust. There may be a wait on getting one, and christmas is coming, so you better get on it. 80lbs is a LOT to me. Both to carry (its an odd carry) and to toss around curves. It does tick off the speed/range boxes tho. You do notice the weight when riding. Not that its tiring like carrying, but it doesnt magically go away and become a nimble wheel. I'd see what Marty has to say. If he still prefers his, that would be good enough for me...assuming i wanted to ride where/how he does.

I was thinking more along the lines of attaching a line to my belt buckle, but falling forward would be an issue (I imagine).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 10:50 PM, winterwheel said:

FWIW I was 250 when I started out on a V5F. V8 was my main wheel for a few months, 16S also. The V5F complained when I went up one particularly steep hill, but allowed me to get off on my own terms. I've moved heavy objects (large barricades) around the neighborhood riding a 16S. I on to bigger wheels now of course, bigger is definitely better, but you can work any of those wheels as a starter wheel. Even an MTen3 works just fine, I have one of those as well. 

 

Thanks for this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheMasterSword said:

After reading winterwheel's feedback, I'm looking for a Inmotion V10F or Kingsong 16S, If anyone's reading this thread and has one lying around, I'd be interested.

 

I posted my KS16S for sale a few days ago for local pickup/drop-off in the Bay Area.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...