V11: Commuting Mode or Off-roading Mode? Hard Pedals or Soft Pedals?

Tryptych

V11: Commuting Mode or Off-roading Mode? Hard Pedals or Soft Pedals?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer: Commuting Mode or Off-roading Mode?

• Commuting Mode
    • Off-road Mode
  2. 2. Which do you prefer: Hard Pedals or Soft Pedals? (for this poll soft pedals are considered to be anything less than 100%)

• Hard Pedals
    • Soft Pedals

I am just curious what everyone prefers on their V11 (and why):

* Commuting Mode or Off-roading Mode?
* Hard Pedals or Soft Pedals?

Lately I have settled in to using off-road mode (regardless of terrain), with 70% "footboard" sensitivity. I find I get a bit more torque with off-road mode and I can accelerate/turn faster with some softness in the pedals.

What do you use guys use?

I made a similar poll few weeks ago: 

I preferred commuting @ 100% or off-road @ 60% until i put power pads on.

With all that leverage from the power pads I now have off-road @ 100% and the added bonus of less dip in steep inclines.

• Like 1

I like softer pedals and commuter mode. Commuter mode feels good at all speeds. Off road mode just feels clunky at higher speeds. 

Even though I prefer softer pedals I ride at night everyday and the dip is too much for the light, so I just keep it at 100% to maximize light function.

I also have pedal angle at -2 degrees, which really helps with acceleration, maintaining speed, and improves the function of the light. 

Edited by Chaotropic
  • Like 1

Off-road, 100%. Why?

16 hours ago, Bill Kolk said:

I preferred commuting @ 100% or off-road @ 60% until i put power pads on.

With all that leverage from the power pads I now have off-road @ 100% and the added bonus of less dip in steep inclines.

Also, coming from the MSX, 100% Off is closest to the MSX behavior and stability over sharp roots.

On 11/13/2020 at 1:29 PM, Chaotropic said:

I also have pedal angle at -2 degrees, which really helps with acceleration, maintaining speed, and improves the function of the light. 

Yes I also seem to be preferring -2 or even -3 degrees pedal angle - I should have put that in the poll too. I find it makes me a bit more stable at speed and makes turning a bit easier.

9 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

WHat does offroad mode vs. commuter mode do exactly?

Off-road is linear, so increasing the lean always increases the acceleration by the same amount. Commuter Mode is exponential, so it is soft for peaceful riding, but gets progressively harder the more you lean.

This topic made me test them again, and I realized that I would probably prefer a Commuter Mode that was harder than the current 100%. To me Commuter 100% feels as hard as Off-road 30%.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Great thread...found while searching out hard vs soft pedal modes. I have been in Comfort (Commuting) mode since the first ride. I'm switching to Sport (offroad). 

I am primarily a seated rider. Looking for anyone out there who rides seated or has ridden seated:

-Is Comfort better for seated riding?

-Would you recommend a negative degree pedal pitch to help with seated riding?

-Always ridden at 100% sensitivity. I'm sure changing that would be interesting riding seated...anyone riding seated on less than 100%?

Winter here and bad weather so I can't test. Want to badly and will soon.  

On 11/13/2020 at 10:29 AM, Chaotropic said:

I like softer pedals and commuter mode. Commuter mode feels good at all speeds. Off road mode just feels clunky at higher speeds. 

Even though I prefer softer pedals I ride at night everyday and the dip is too much for the light, so I just keep it at 100% to maximize light function.

Thanks so much for this tip. I was almost ready to write off the v11 headlight as being almost worthless, but the tiltback improved it so much!  I also added more air in tire, and reduced suspension sag which I'm sure added a good inch of height.  Night riding last night was fantastic with the tilt back!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I prefer using off-roading with 100% sensitivity.

I'm a heavyweight guy and I feel that unicycle became much more controlable when you get more torque at very low speeds. I didn't feel any problem at higher velocities.

In case of V10, my pedal angle is +1.0 degree in order to get the vehicle perfecly balanced when idle.

• 3 months later...

I voted even though I'm on a V10F. Not sure if there's a big difference from the V11.

I've gone softer and softer over time, and nowadays I have the softness pretty much all the way left (0-10%), commuting mode. Now, I'm a pretty small dude at around 65 kg, maybe I'd have it a little harder if I weighed more. I like the feedback soft mode gives me, kind of like the break pedal on a car, and it helps me when I accelerate (no pads).

Oh, and the biggest reason I prefer commuting over off-roading is the constant high-pitched coil whine when in the latter mode. Commuting is whisper quiet to my ears.

Edited by thefork

I have about 500 miles on my V11.  I've been riding it in Commuter mode at 100% pedal sensitivity the whole time.  I found it felt best at the time when I got it.  But today I upgraded my firmware and was trying out different settings again (I heard the commuter mode had been updated) and I feel like 0% pedal hardness/sensitivity is where it's at for me now.  I'm a very light rider and at 0% I can accelerate and brake without much effort at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 2:21 PM, mhpr262 said:

WHat does offroad mode vs. commuter mode do exactly?

On 11/15/2020 at 11:42 PM, mrelwood said:

Off-road is linear, so increasing the lean always increases the acceleration by the same amount. Commuter Mode is exponential, so it is soft for peaceful riding, but gets progressively harder the more you lean.

Thank you. I can't imagine how I could have figured this out on my own, and I couldn't find this info anywhere else, including the manual. Super helpful.

• Like 2

This thread has been super helpful, thanks all.

I know this is going to sound like the dumbest question ever, but please bear with me a second: what the heck does the "Sensitivity" slider on the v11 do?

Here's why I ask. I expect that a control called "sensitivity" would control how responsive the machine is to forward and backward tilt. So, for example, high sensitivity would mean "just lean a little, and the v11 will apply lots of torque," and low sensitivity would mean the opposite: you really gotta lean into it in order to get lots of acceleration. 

As as far as I've been able to figure out, that's almost exactly what sensitivity does, except backwards from the way I just described.

So if I finally have it right, 0% sensitivity actually means "twitchy" and 100% sensitivity actually means "less responsive."

Can anyone help me understand whether I finally have the right idea here? (And while you're at it, any idea why in the world they would call such a slider "sensitivity" instead of something like "gentleness" or something like that?)

Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me. (I really want to love this machine, and trying to get these settings figured out is really bumming me out.)

@drbanzai inmotions “pedal sensitivity” is instead as if the app was asking us “how much of a dead zone do you want between accelerating and decelerating. That’s how it feels to me anyway. 

I’ve been told that commuting vs off-road mode is what changes power output based on lean, with off-road more being the more sporty choice. 

I have a V11 arriving next month, it’s my first wheel. I’ve been an avid mountain biker my entire life and have a good sense of balance. I have zero clue on how ANY of these settings will work or how they will translate to real world use. Any advice on what settings would be good for a learning curve? Thanks for any info, already reading the rest of this post is helping!

13 hours ago, drbanzai said:

Okay, I think I finally have the right mental model here.

Your post was an extremely good and precise description on what the sensitivity setting (or riding modes in general) does and how it affects accelerating! :cheers:

9 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

Any advice on what settings would be good for a learning curve?

I’d suggest a “medium” riding mode for all beginners, or in the case of Inmotion, “Commuter” mode with Sensitivity at around 50.

Medium modes are solid enough on modern wheels not to struggle on sharp bumps, yet they don’t fight the rider’s lean too much in the way that @drbanzai so well described.

For a beginner everything about riding is so new, that some even try to ride with a non-existent “factory default” tire pressure without realizing that it’s preventing them from learning. That’s why watching a few instructional videos for beginners is so important.

• Like 2