How NOT to ride

shellac

I see darkness bot and other euc apps are widely used for the purposes of warnings. I personally don't trust any Bluetooth connection with my life so to me the idea is very foreign and irresponsible.

My problems with these apps are primarily their lacking ability to relay the built-in warnings more specifically in the case of gotway wheels the 80% beeps. To me the idea of an app warning you of anything less than the 80% beeps (or equivilant) is incredibly reckless.

I mean sure as an added feature to have different sounding warnings triggered when reaching certain speeds is a cool add-on but the main warning should in my opinion  always originate from the euc be it from the built-in tiny speakers or somehow relaying that signal over Bluetooth to amplify the beeps. But as I said I wouldn't trust a Bluetooth connection with my life so I'd rather opt to somehow make the euc's beeps louder by getting more beeper's or whatever you call the tiny speakers... Ideally with enough of them to easily overpower the sound of for instance listening to loud music on a portable Bluetooth speaker. 

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 3

Despite the scare, he is well and recovering from the grates, and commented that he will not do this anymore, and that he was careless with the speed equipment's warnings. I've been a monocyclist for a long time, I can guarantee that it is a safe vehicle and that it has safety systems with loud audible whistles, tiltback (maneuver that brings a little punch to warn the driver of the equipment limits and etc ...) It was just careless even guys, the devices also have speed limiters for safer driving, but here I reinforce the use of basic PPE like helmet and gloves with protection. The victim sent an audio to the group and recognized the vacillations.

Google translate from a YouTube comment.

• Like 2

I'm glad buddy has learned from this misadventure & I hope we all do too. The only positive (if we can call it that) is buddy had the sense to ride on the shoulder. Can we imagine the consequences of a cutout on the main highway & getting hit/runover by a car🤯! It won't be pretty for sure!

In the motorcycling world, we all know its not the fall nor even the crash but what we hit or rather what hits us AFTER that matters. I would say the same applies with all PEVs as well so gear up always & being sitware is the difference btwn having fun or having pain.

• Like 3

There is no way possible this man was not seriously injured. Does anyone know the extent of his injuries? Is he even alive?

Media will be quick to blame the wheel and not the operator. " this poor man was just riding along minding his own business and the wheel just turned off" :mellow:

• Like 1

Yeah although I lasted 3 years without protective gear a great accident like that (at 40km/h) without gear is what taught me my lesson(along with great encouragement from the mods) , and now I preach the protective wear gospel anywhere I see heathens. It's feels great to convert people it's just a shame some idiots like myself needs this hard of a lesson. 

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

Yeah although I lasted 3 years without protective gear a great accident like that (at 40km/h) without gear is what taught me my lesson, and now I preach the protective wear gospel anywhere I see heathens. It's feels great to convert people it's just a shame some idiots like myself needs this hard of a lesson. 

You're not the only idiot here. I too suffered a cutout when I stupidly used my Mten3 like a Tesla V2 & whaam! I still have the scars on my knees & forearm to show for it. Told myself never ever again. I wear my motorcycle jacket/s & a motoX instead of bicycle helmets on top of the standard knee/wrist pads/guards.

There's nothing like PAIN as a teacher😰

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, /Dev/Null said:

I'm practically deaf.  My only safety is myself.  Hence why I don't ever exceed 30km/h max on my V10 or 40km/h on my Nik+ and don't generally ride under 30% battery.  It's also why I keep my android phone strapped to my forearm to keep my speed in check.  

what's your strap method? I like to have a little mirror on my left hand to look back at traffic.

Edited by I_Must_Bust

After reading the comments, I have a couple additional observations;

1) His drinking probably saved his life. This happens a lot in motorcycle and drunk driver collisions, where other people involved die, but the one drinking survives. The alcohol gives the body a sedative, muscle relaxant and overall limpness that seems to facilitate fewer injuries and recovery.

2) Watching the video in slow motion, you can see the wheel does appear to cut out on him. Riding full speed at 40% maybe could be the reason(??). I don't know the wheel, but it is my best guess. I am also guessing there may have been some kind of warning, but even on my 18L, if I am at 40% riding at full speed I will get a warning AND a slow down. An unexpected slowdown (while drinkin?) would be enough for me to fall.

• Like 3

Aww man, so fun.... then it isnt. Seemed like a cutout to me. Maybe overlean, but he surely didnt seem to be aggressively attacking that wheel by much. That asphalt is not very forgiving for sure. I hope he recovers well enough. I'm thinking that riding a unicycle while holding a beer is not such a good idea. We have numerous laws about open containers and operating equipment under the influence. Even if it isnt considered a 'motor vehicle', there's laws to control it too. Man o' man do i not envy the road rash he's gna fight for a few weeks. I guess all that is left is to wonder... who's it going to be next? I know I keep buying my tickets to the raffle. Play hard pay hard!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

After reading the comments, I have a couple additional observations;

1) His drinking probably saved his life. This happens a lot in motorcycle and drunk driver collisions, where other people involved die, but the one drinking survives. The alcohol gives the body a sedative, muscle relaxant and overall limpness that seems to facilitate fewer injuries and recovery.

A study of around 200,000 trauma patients shows alcohol increases patient survivability by reducing the effects of shock.

https://www.livescience.com/24979-alcohol-injury-outcome.html

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

A study of around 200,000 trauma patients shows alcohol increases patient survivability by reducing the effects of shock.

https://www.livescience.com/24979-alcohol-injury-outcome.html

Riding drunk is riding safe, kids. :laughbounce2:

Edited by I_Must_Bust
  • Like 3

On 11/12/2020 at 10:33 PM, Circuitmage said:

His drinking probably saved his life. This happens a lot in motorcycle and drunk driver collisions, where other people involved die, but the one drinking survives. The alcohol gives the body a sedative, muscle relaxant and overall limpness that seems to facilitate fewer injuries and recovery.

Every motorcyclist is wearing a helmet. Going limp + no helmet == fractured skull.
If going limp was a better solution, we'd evolve to go limp when falling.

Thus, I doubt that alcohol helped in any way.

• Like 2

I think studies have shown that going 'limp' and being intoxicated can help mitigate injury. I also think that being intoxicated can increase the risk of being in an accident associated with an injury altogether. After the initial impact to protect the skull, I am pretty sure that going limp for the slide is a better scenario. Of course, there's so many variables that I think EVERYONE is right in some form or another, here. I'm not sure that falling is common enough that we will 'evolve' to doing it the best way. Of course, we kind of have, as our bodies can black out or go into shock. These are evolutions of the body to protect itself. Being loose in a fall is something that is trained in many cases. Again, i think everyone has a point. Me, I'd like to know that the chances are an accident will occur from mistakes rather than equipment failure. Not that Im saying any of these examples above were equip failiure. I can only hope that my next hi-speed crash will look more like the second video than the opening shot. So far they have, but I'm only a skull crack away...

Edited by ShanesPlanet